new model from Virus

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Pace
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pace » Friday 13 April 2007, 10:45

albertofornasier wrote:Hi, i noticed that Virus doubled the prices... i have been using a Black death2 (payed new +\- 715 euro with bindings...) for 6 years. ....
what were your results in the Math Class? one hint, never ever try to get a job into finance.
Prices are 2007:
Black Death 939 €
Black Death Team 1.049 €
Black Death Custom 1.149 €

Silber wrote:Quality does require a price, but Frank is definitely NOT CHEAP... look at the clothing : Virus pants 409€...baseball cap 35€....come on...!!

Problem is that Germany has high production costs..and high incomes compared to most of Europe.
sorry that is utter nonsense, it got nothing to do with production costs in germany
1) the Virus clothes are not produced in germany
2) there is almost no profit on the clothes.
3) the pants cost
pants Racing 269 €
pants Superflames 409 €

the problem is price/pice if you let only a view pices produced
= price high/ pice
let the factory in Chechia produce 100.000 caps price/ cap =3,5+ tax
ich bin wie ich bin, die einen kennen mich, die andern können mich. (ehm. Bundeskanzler Adenauer)

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Friday 13 April 2007, 10:53

Pace wrote:what were your results in the Math Class? one hint, never ever try to get a job into finance.
Not sure why you want to answer Silber in an agressive way...and btw i think he was more defending the case than attacking it...but you've ruined it :)
N.

Pace
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pace » Friday 13 April 2007, 11:51

well Nils
I did answer albertofornasier not Silver according to math

however he posted with a negative attitude and his postings was simply trolling against the company Virus
he was blowing the price out of all proportions to create a negative image.
I simply corrected this negative statement.
thats all
ich bin wie ich bin, die einen kennen mich, die andern können mich. (ehm. Bundeskanzler Adenauer)

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 13 April 2007, 11:59

Pace...PEACE!!! This is a forum for friends that are trying to help each other enjoy this sport at its best... Rage and unfriendly manners should only be used when attacking the next turn!!

..nobody is saying Virus goods are not of good quality...but for whatever reason it maybe, they are not cheap, at least for me and many others that can't afford 400€ pants.

and just for fun a little utter nonsense logic:

Problem is small quantities produced => thus the price is not because of the quality, but of the small batch => thus the items are more expensive than average goods of comparable quality produced in bigger quantities=> thus.....
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Friday 13 April 2007, 12:39

My friends...

IMHO it's wrong to think about prices of sporting goods in figures like production cost. There is a market. There are products. There are products, that match a given goal better and others, that match not as good. I think Nils knows, what I'm talking about ;)

Now there are companys selling goods providing fun on slopes. Customers spend their money for having fun on the slopes. The only question left is: How much is somebody willing to pay for which grade of satisfaction on the slopes. Seemes that some boards made by virus are worth some money for some customers. If worth was always production cost plus taxes, everything would be made in China. Maybe sometimes you pay for research, technology and know how, sometimes for a good idea :idea:

skywalker
free extreme carving

albertofornasier
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by albertofornasier » Friday 13 April 2007, 16:23

sorry... my opinion is just an opinion, so please don't "read" it in an agressive way.

I think that each snow has its board/equipment, it is just a matter of experience to feel the differences. I couldn't change a 1000-euros board each time the snow changes. In my opinion Virus is not even a no-profit organization, is a good company that produces really good snowboards, and i have one of them. And more than stuff, there are also feelings, sensations beyond..i really do like this.

But talking about quality features: For example quality issue is the research. Quality target for a boardmaker can be to win Olimpycs or other races.
Quality is also to allow the maximum number of people to learn and enjoy the snowboard. to share these feelings. For sure Virus quality doesn't fully concern with this point. I would prefer to see a lot of people riding with a Virus, unfortunaltely this doesn't happen. And this is a general matter, for all expensive hard stuff producers. Is hard booting expanding? not really i think, it is still also because the products are expensive.

I agree with Skywalker about LCC countries but smth has changed in the last years: Unfortunately for GM, Toyota is producing -also- in high cost countries, like USA, with american people, standards etc. i think they call it KaiZen or continuous emprovement way. Toyota has not really a strategic interest in China.

then, just for my new friend Pace: board + bindings (Phiokka 4 Pogo)= 715 n-euros means to me +/- 500 euros for the board , just half than now.
(Anyway, u are right, i was not so good in mathematics, what about you?).
SWOARD Extremecarver 168H - <NW>, POGO stillet 184
http://www.kite4freedom.altervista.org

Pogokoenig
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Pogokoenig » Friday 13 April 2007, 17:57

albertofornasier wrote:sorry... my opinion is just an opinion, so please don't "read" it in an agressive way.

I think that each snow has its board/equipment, it is just a matter of experience to feel the differences. I couldn't change a 1000-euros board each time the snow changes. In my opinion Virus is not even a no-profit organization, is a good company that produces really good snowboards, and i have one of them. And more than stuff, there are also feelings, sensations beyond..i really do like this.

But talking about quality features: For example quality issue is the research. Quality target for a boardmaker can be to win Olimpycs or other races.
Quality is also to allow the maximum number of people to learn and enjoy the snowboard. to share these feelings. For sure Virus quality doesn't fully concern with this point. I would prefer to see a lot of people riding with a Virus, unfortunaltely this doesn't happen. And this is a general matter, for all expensive hard stuff producers. Is hard booting expanding? not really i think, it is still also because the products are expensive.

I agree with Skywalker about LCC countries but smth has changed in the last years: Unfortunately for GM, Toyota is producing -also- in high cost countries, like USA, with american people, standards etc. i think they call it KaiZen or continuous emprovement way. Toyota has not really a strategic interest in China.

then, just for my new friend Pace: board + bindings (Phiokka 4 Pogo)= 715 n-euros means to me +/- 500 euros for the board , just half than now.
(Anyway, u are right, i was not so good in mathematics, what about you?).
It's hard to come over my lips, but skywalker is absolutely right. The Price of a good is determined by demand and not by cost of production. Hey, It's a luxury good. If you want to have it, and you can afford it, then buy it. If not, no one will starve.

The Board and the Brand deliver value for money. Evereyone has to decide by hinself, If value is high enough.
albertofornasier wrote:I would prefer to see a lot of people riding with a Virus,
Believe me, Frank from Virus, is exactly with you :wink:
Virus Berserker Zylon, Pogo Blitz, Rad Air Tanker 182, Burton Johann, Elho Freestyle Overall und nen Son of Hibachi - Wer als Handkäs geborn iss, werd sei lebtach kaan Gorgonzola - Oma Hesselbach

www.carving-masters.de

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

totally disagree

Post by nils » Friday 13 April 2007, 18:25

guys
I totally disagree with that logic!
price of good is demand AND, depending on your ethics, cost production.
On the long run consumers always tend to look at things that respect them as consumers, not making them pay more just because they want it. Its not a best price win, or higher price wins, but its best quality wins.
Usually higher quality means higher production costs, and thus higher price, rarity can also cause high price.

When I see productions sent to China, and the board prices still the same, or even higher than when they were made in austria or france, it makes me want to go away from the brand. I think with the internet, consumers have gained a will for honesty in prices of what they buy.

Maybe i'm wrong....but i'm sticking with it.

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 16 April 2007, 9:53

Hi,
Interestingly, this is discussion seems to be turning into a course in pricing and microeconomics. Since some of the participants obviously lack basic knowledge into this field (not Nils), reading a book or taking a course in strategies and tactics in pricing and basic microeconomics is highly recommended. Furthermore, I do not understand why a discussion on Virus's prices and qualities are that important for this forum. There are many other good quality boards with more moderate prices on the market and it is not compulsory to buy the highest priced brands be it clothes or boards or whatever.
harald

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

here comes the economics teacher !

Post by nils » Monday 16 April 2007, 10:06

thnx harald :) we might want to join a course at your Uni :) seen pics of the new building its breathtaking!
N

Silber

Post by Silber » Tuesday 17 April 2007, 11:02

well...I'll be glad to trade my MBA at Columbia with any better education..let me know about the new classes..

Thanks!! :D
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes

Post by nils » Tuesday 17 April 2007, 13:18

columbia is so overrated :)
N

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Tuesday 17 April 2007, 14:31

Hi,
I suggest we leave the business topics elsewhere and continue discussing our passion for snowboarding and snowboards in this forum.
harald

Silber

Post by Silber » Tuesday 17 April 2007, 15:42

"Obbedisco"!! as Garibaldi said. Long live the PJN University of EC..!!

Waiting for Godot.....and the neuvelle Swoard...

Ciao

Le Fanfoué
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Le Fanfoué » Tuesday 17 April 2007, 16:50

Silber wrote:"Obbedisco"!! as Garibaldi said. Long live the PJN University of EC..!!

Waiting for Godot.....and the neuvelle Swoard...

Ciao

May be a partenaria with l'institut pasteur ? :wink:

We've had to wait the end of this month normaly to discover ther "Nils solution".

Salutations.
Fanfoué