When surfers are getting close to EC !

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

When surfers are getting close to EC !

Post by nils » Thursday 5 October 2006, 21:42

Just received those pics scanned from a surf mag !
I have seen many many surfing pics, but never saw such moves...straight legs etc...

Neat!
N.
Attachments
EC_surfer_2.jpg
EC_surfer_2.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
EC_surfer_1.jpg
EC_surfer_1.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
Swoard team / 175M's (G1-G5, Pro1-2) / Dual1-2/ Redline / EC12
http://www.swoard.com

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Thursday 5 October 2006, 22:19

Like they say: snow is just frozen water...

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes

Post by nils » Friday 6 October 2006, 9:02

needless to say it takes 10x the same amount of training at least to reach the same level on water compare than on snow!

N.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Short "slopes"

Post by fivat » Friday 6 October 2006, 11:04

Very impressive! 8O

Unfortunately the "slopes" on water are too short for linking 10 laid turns... But one laid turn must be the nirvana already :silly:

Patrice Fivat

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Short "slopes"

Post by pokkis » Friday 6 October 2006, 11:17

fivat wrote:Very impressive! 8O

Unfortunately the "slopes" on water are too short for linking 10 laid turns... But one laid turn must be nirvana already :silly:

Patrice Fivat
If you look surfing films they make easily 10+ linked turns in big waves :wink: not seen turns on EC style so often anyway, but i think that is more style issue 8)

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

not just style issue

Post by nils » Friday 6 October 2006, 11:43

Not just style stuff>
it is very hard to push the board away from you when on the face of the wave... there is mostly the frontside turn where it could be possible theorically... but since the speed is so high, and the pressure so big, its more about controlling the turn with half bent legs to absorb the vibrations. remember a surfboard has almost no flex, and the legs have to absorb all irregularities and bumps: it means they have to be flexed to deal with the bumps.

I have been subscribing to surfer, then TSJ for the last 20 years almost, and got a very photographic memory> there is only a handful of surfers i have seen able to pull straight legs turns like this one.... gary elkerton, tom caroll, BK, tom curren on certain turns, KSlater sometimes too, Poto, occy > basically power surfers, but this serie of pics is the only one where it looks as close to EC.

I'm sure there could be a lot to improve in surfboard design so the edge could bite the water the way an edge does it... now its mostly the tail edges and the fins that makes the turns possible. A surfboard is simplier to design than a snowboard since it does not really handle flex issues... but when the flex will be dealt with new designs and materials, this is going to be taken to a new level!

N

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 6 October 2006, 12:12

Same applies also windsurfing, there you can do straight leg power jibes, if you like but it does not make any sense, except due cool photos and event here only due to emulate EC style.

I'm been watching surf film from EC chanel almost daily for several years specially on summer time cause then i can not go on slopes my self :cry:

DaTaz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaTaz » Friday 6 October 2006, 16:24

pokkis wrote:Same applies also windsurfing, there you can do straight leg power jibes, if you like but it does not make any sense, except due cool photos and event here only due to emulate EC style.
You should try to give a look to Anders Bringdal... This guy was very impressive... His lay-down jibes were (are?) the most extreme I've ever seen, putting the opposite side of his wishbone down to the water, mast completly horizontal... Even with an extremly stiff, narrow and low-scoop slalom board
F2 Speedster GTS 166 / Oxygen Mission 164 / F2 Carve RS / /Head Stratos Pro

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 9 October 2006, 15:00

For those interested in lay-down windsurfing jibes check this with Björn Dunkerbeck, also a windsurfing legend and master of lay-down jibes, http://www.stableroad.com/videos/powerjibebjorn.htm. However, only frontsides are possible, but still...
harald

tigger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tigger » Wednesday 11 October 2006, 14:14

i guess the pics show the end of a pipline run??
am i right??
life is more than avoiding death

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

good question

Post by nils » Wednesday 11 October 2006, 15:37

i'd say no, looks more like rocky point :) but only the surfer and photographer knows