Is it fun to ride a more than 10 years old board?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

transsib
Rank 3
Rank 3

Is it fun to ride a more than 10 years old board?

Post by transsib » Wednesday 29 March 2006, 20:04

Hi!

Right now there are quite a lot more than 10 years old racers offered at eBay. :D
I'm thinking about buying one of them. I thought it might be fun to ride one of these
old boards. What do you think? Is it really fun or just a waste of time and cash?

Regards,

Oliver
Virus Outlaw 172

foinfoin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by foinfoin » Wednesday 29 March 2006, 20:35

Hi! I have buy on ebay for the fun (and the price of the bindings) a very old F2 speedster "route66" red 154, 45,00€. after testing, this board is really good and friends of me who try it had very good ride. (the board was too small for me,it was not the good size on ebay!) try it!
Swallow APO RR 186

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

transsib

Post by nils » Wednesday 29 March 2006, 21:50

yes of course its fun: if the board still has camber and juice, some edges and a sintered base its ready to go...

Good 10 yold boards: rossignol race, burtons FP, Freesurf, Hot, F2...

Nils

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Wednesday 29 March 2006, 23:59

And the excellent Wild Duck Knifer of course.
Carve Diem

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gdboytyler » Thursday 30 March 2006, 3:21

I thought I remember someone posting about the edge coming out of their Wild Duck Knifer? Was the Knifer a board that rode well, but bad quality control?

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Thursday 30 March 2006, 4:10

That was me last season. I fixed it as shown by Nils. No problem this year.
Carve Diem

eaglefly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by eaglefly » Thursday 30 March 2006, 4:29

Actually I just discovered "new boards" 2 years ago and had no problem to ride old boards until now :) . I have 2 old Asym. Lacroix (>10 years), one I bought when I began snowboarding more than 10 years ago, another one (almost new) I bought in 2004 on ebay for 90 euros as the first one has problem on the toe and I was not willing to fix it. Now I realize that the first one was very heavy compared to newer/other models.
Even if riding this year a Swoard for a few days has been a total different experience in my snowboarding life, I know I'll keep on riding the Asym board which is stiff, quite wide, fast, easy to ride and goes almost everywhere except in a bit of powder (for that I have the Donek); I now call it my "stone board" because it's the cheapest one but also because it seems "unbreakable" - I really still like it a lot... 8O
* * * "Carve diem, that's it " * * *

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Thursday 30 March 2006, 14:13

gdboytyler wrote:I thought I remember someone posting about the edge coming out of their Wild Duck Knifer? Was the Knifer a board that rode well, but bad quality control?
Yes.
Maybe worth 9,- or 10,- Euros and rather a board, if you want to try how to repair a braken edge once ;). Sorry for those, who love their Knifers...

skywalker
free extreme carving

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Thursday 30 March 2006, 16:09

skywalker wrote:
gdboytyler wrote:I thought I remember someone posting about the edge coming out of their Wild Duck Knifer? Was the Knifer a board that rode well, but bad quality control?
Yes.
Maybe worth 9,- or 10,- Euros and rather a board, if you want to try how to repair a braken edge once ;). Sorry for those, who love their Knifers...

skywalker
Agreed!! Bought it for about 50 or 75 Euros (some ridiculous amount from a Californian surf shop), so the edge repair was worth it. Considering I've been riding it now for several times a week per season for several years, it was money well spent!! :wink:
Carve Diem

transsib
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by transsib » Friday 31 March 2006, 1:06

Hi!

Thank you very much for you answers!
I think I will try to get one of them! :D I will just need to look for one near my hometown
so that I can check ist first. Some guys just try to sell their trash at eBay. :(

If I have a Board in my focus I will come back to you and ask if it's a good one... :wink:

Regards, Oliver
Virus Outlaw 172

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Friday 31 March 2006, 8:37

Does this mean that the carving board tecnology was way ahead 10 years ago and that nothing has happened since? Or does it mean that the development has not progressed at all the last 10 years? Compared to what has happened within the alpine ski industry, 10 years old skis are not a pleasure to ride at all. For the snowboard industry I really hope that new boards are performing better than the old ones.
harald

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Friday 31 March 2006, 15:27

The new boards do ride better, at least the ones I tried (Swoard, Coiler All Mountain). However for the price, I don't mind the old pair of torn jeans. I'm cheap what I can I say :oops:
Carve Diem

eaglefly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by eaglefly » Tuesday 4 April 2006, 8:03

harald wrote:Compared to what has happened within the alpine ski industry, 10 years old skis are not a pleasure to ride at all.
hum..depends for whom! My Dad likes old skis and he's not really willing to change his 'old way' of skiing you know :roll:
as for carving board technology, I don't know but compared to new boards, it's just kind of a different feeling, that's all...I guess that's also why some people I know have a nearly 30 years old car in their garage... :lol:
* * * "Carve diem, that's it " * * *