Snow in Zinal

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

User avatar
skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 814
Joined: Saturday 3 August 2002, 11:24
Location: Fribourg (CH)

Snow in Zinal

Post by skywalker » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 16:37

Hi and sorry for a new thread about this issue. Of course there would be a home for this in ECS-Threads or the Meteo-weather-forecast. But I see a problem for the ECS '06, which is called "lack of snow". Last year it was quite easy to make perfect conditions, but this year it seems to be extremely hard.

My usual weather-forecast-homepage (www.wetteronline.de) is very reliable. And unfortunately they predict nothing than sunshine until nedxt Monday. And even then there is only one big sunshine area over middle and western Europe, but no clouds in sight over the Atlantic... so I'm pretty sure, there will be no further snow before this year's ECS in Zinal.

Does anybody know other weatherforecasts, who predict any snowfall? I heard, that conditions in Zinal are anything but great, does anybody know more about? Is there a plan, what to do, if conditions are totally bad?

Sorry for this :(

skywalker
free extreme carving

User avatar
István
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 899
Joined: Monday 29 September 2003, 13:04
Location: Budapest, Hungary

To snow or not to snow....

Post by István » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 16:46

Then we just sit in a bar and discuss technical related topics.... maybe some carpet riding to test new spring systems.... :lol:

Of course that would suck.....


Cheers,

István

User avatar
nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder
Posts: 3036
Joined: Friday 22 March 2002, 19:22
Location: Lyon, France - Swoard team
Contact:

Snow

Post by nils » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 16:59

There is B plan!

In case there is not snow until ECS, we worked on a B plan that will give more snow and stonefree slopes.
Stay tuned until this week end, where we'll announce it if its necessary.

Nils

"carpet riding" hehe! Can be replaced after a while after bar crawling!

User avatar
Silber
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tuesday 6 April 2004, 12:40
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Post by Silber » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 17:11

Nils,

great idea, just remember that we all booked hotels in Zinal. Cancellation is an option, but not a very good one for our relations with the Zinal people for future years. We could always drive to verbier every day, but that would not be cool.

Maybe we could organize a snowmobile service to bring us to cervinia in the morning..

Ciao e a presto
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

User avatar
pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1782
Joined: Monday 1 April 2002, 19:46
Location: Coilerlandia

Re: Snow

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 18:37

nils wrote:There is B plan!
In case there is not snow until ECS, we worked on a B plan that will give more snow and stonefree slopes.
Stay tuned until this week end, where we'll announce it if its necessary.
Nils
"carpet riding" hehe! Can be replaced after a while after bar crawling!
Nils, i hope no major changes is planned, specially cause i'm Zinal starting this saturday without internet access 8O
2020: XXXXXXMMMM MMMMMMMZZZ ZZZZZZZZzz zZZZZZzz zzZZSMMMMM uUUUUKKKK

User avatar
István
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 899
Joined: Monday 29 September 2003, 13:04
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Post by István » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 19:01

Indians used to dance to pray for some rain.... I dunno if it works with ECers and snow.... is this plan B? :roll:

István

User avatar
nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder
Posts: 3036
Joined: Friday 22 March 2002, 19:22
Location: Lyon, France - Swoard team
Contact:

plan B

Post by nils » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 19:36

Plan B is simple: Grimentz
its a few kilometers away, quite a lot of the images from the movies were shot there, and it has much more snow, as well as artificial snow since early days of the season...

In case plan B is activated, we'll all leave each day from zinal lift departure to grimentz... there is enough cars to get everyone there! and trip is only a few minutes long !

We'll know the previous day for sure, earlier if no snow comes during the whole week. Basically no change

In the event plan B is used, there will be of course no extra fee! :)

No worries! We'll do this ECS unless europe temp raises to 20°C by next week!

N.

User avatar
István
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 899
Joined: Monday 29 September 2003, 13:04
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Snow conditions

Post by István » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 19:41

That sounds cool! We'll see.

All the best to you guys till then,

István

User avatar
pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1782
Joined: Monday 1 April 2002, 19:46
Location: Coilerlandia

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 20:02

Nils, is same lift ticket valid in both places ?
2020: XXXXXXMMMM MMMMMMMZZZ ZZZZZZZZzz zZZZZZzz zzZZSMMMMM uUUUUKKKK

User avatar
nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder
Posts: 3036
Joined: Friday 22 March 2002, 19:22
Location: Lyon, France - Swoard team
Contact:

lift tickets

Post by nils » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 21:47

especially for us, in case plan B is used, the lift passes from Zinal will be good for grimentz, ( grimentz will print new tickets if needed)

So everything should be fine :), plus we'll get to ride a few slopes with trees which is nice ( see opus 1)

Nils

User avatar
Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 933
Joined: Wednesday 19 March 2003, 21:17

No snow???? Don't know the fuss here.

Post by Hans » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 23:47

I don't know about all the fuss here. There is enough snow looking at the webcam and the snowreport gives a hard snowcoverage of 60/70 cm.

It must be two weeks about 15 degrees Celsius before that melts away. So come on, no panic, this event will take place in Zinal, for sure.

Otherwise I can get drunk with Istvan (plan C). He knows how to handle and emptying bottles of that dark liquer.

Greets, Hans.

User avatar
nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder
Posts: 3036
Joined: Friday 22 March 2002, 19:22
Location: Lyon, France - Swoard team
Contact:

Snow

Post by nils » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 8:44

Plan C shall be used of course, in case plan B is not enough!
Actually Hans , the conditions on barthelemy and La corne are a bit tough for EC, with some stones etc... Durand is the only slope that is good at the time. This is why plan B has been worked since last week, and is possible since yesterday! (lucky to have a resort so close!)

Nils

User avatar
István
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 899
Joined: Monday 29 September 2003, 13:04
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Post by István » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 11:15

Hans,

Did U mean the famous Hungarian liqueur UNICUM in the spherical bottle with a red cross on it? Well, frankly its not my favourite, but I can take some with me to Zinal if you guys want to try.

Kindest,

István

User avatar
raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thursday 12 December 2002, 16:44
Location: Paris France
Contact:

Post by raphael » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 12:05

Too much snow at NSECS, not enough at ECS... what the hell is mother nature doing ? :roll:
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

User avatar
Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 140
Joined: Tuesday 3 February 2004, 20:03
Location: Zwevegem,(W-Vl)Belgium
Contact:

Post by Dave » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 12:16

According to this wetherforcast for Zermatt http://www.meteoa10jours.com/meteodetai ... d=SZXX0042 there will be some snow before the meeting :lol:

The main thing is that we have a good time on the slopes :silly:

See ya all in Zinal (or grimentz)

Dave
Party hard, party wise
Swoard2005 168H 004, Northwave nexus grey

Locked