Virus binding - did anybody test them?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Virus binding - did anybody test them?

Post by cmachine » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 14:22

I wonder if someone tested the virus-binding.
They write that the binding does not have a flat plate – i.e. the board can bend very well under the binding.

Did anybody test them?

Regards
Olaf

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

not yet

Post by nils » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 15:50

but its good that the binding does not apply a flat squared part onto the board that would lock the flex. Someone can try it for us?

By the way: if you use bindings with flat squared bases ( aka : emery/rossi race, some of the phiokkas ( highlander etc..), they are likely to give an added stress to the board in case of accident: it means they put extra stress on one point, especially on the front foot. We recommend the use of softer bases, or rounded bases around the 4x4 pattern.

We had the case of someone braking a board this winter, using a flat squared rigid binding, and the board broke because too much pressure was put on the nose ( rider had the nose dig into a hole and got stuck there, with all his weight on the nose ). The way the nose broke is clearly due to extra stress at a particular point (angle of the base plate). Anyboard would have broken in that particular case, so in order to save your precious boards, it is clear that its wise to avoid flat non bendable squared bases. Remember the board is not warrantied in such case of breakages.

Nils

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Blitz » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 17:05

They look like Phiokka bindings...and SI version look like F2 Intec + Phiokka baseplate :doh:
http://www.virus-snowboards.de/com/inde ... 2=5&sub3=3
 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

virus.it
Rank 1
Rank 1
Location: Cadore (BL) - Cortina - Alta pusteria(Hoch pustertal)

I use the virus bindings!

Post by virus.it » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 18:18

Hallo!
I'm italian so my english is not so nice...Sorry...
I have 2 Virus Black Death II (173 long, 15,2 large in the middle of the board). I have virus bindings on my Black Death 2003 and burton bindings in my Black Death 2001 and I have to say that the difference is not so big but there is...
The virus bindings are Phiokka bindings with the Virus logo so that you can buy the same product with the name Phiokka or the name Virus.
When you ride you understand what the differences between the Virus and the Burton bindings is: the virus-phiokka with their baseplate extra-strong doesn't flex and the burton flex.
In addiction i must say that I use non conventional degrees of the bindings: I am at 75-69 degrees so that it's impossible that the bindings touch the snow when I carve. If you use "human" degrees, with the virus-phiokka you don't have the risk of touching the snow and jump away...
I hope you understand all, otherwise write me!
Ah, it's coming a trailer of me and my friend riding, I hope very soon...
Bye bye and sorry for my english!
Ex Burton Factory Prime, ex F2, ora ho 2 virus Black Death 2 (2001 e 2003)...accettate la sfida??? :-)

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 18:48

The Blitz wrote:They look like Phiokka bindings...and SI version look like F2 Intec + Phiokka baseplate
:naughty:

They just look the same from the top. But the bottom seems to be different!

http://www.phiokka.com/hard.html
http://www.virus-snowboards.de/com/inde ... 2=5&sub3=3

The Virus is not flat at the bottom so that the board bends better (according to the description).
The phiokka seem to have a flat disk at the bottom.

The phiokka seems also to be higher than the virus.

I wonder I someone tried the virus and can give us a report.

Thanks for any replies
Olaf

virus.it
Rank 1
Rank 1
Location: Cadore (BL) - Cortina - Alta pusteria(Hoch pustertal)

Post by virus.it » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 18:58

Read my answer!
Ex Burton Factory Prime, ex F2, ora ho 2 virus Black Death 2 (2001 e 2003)...accettate la sfida??? :-)

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 19:00

@ cmachine

The picture of Phiokka you shown is PH1/6 with circular plate.

Virus model is like PH69 / PH 46/9 / Highlander / Macho and has a rectangular base plate

Arnaud
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 19:08

Arnaud wrote:Virus model is like PH69 / PH 46/9 ...
Thanks! You're right, this one looks more like the virus.
http://www.phiokka.com/hard_3.html

But there is no description if the base is flat or bounded like the virus.

Olaf

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 19:44

Don't know if the phiokka has a bounded base.
Maybe it's a specific request from Virus. I think Phiokka works as a subcontractor for Virus. It's not very difficult to mdify the CNC program for a specific customer.
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roman » Tuesday 24 January 2006, 20:37

i ride the virus 'freeflex' binding quite a while. never a single problem.
ride is kind like more suspendet. the board float better over used slopes or bumpy, hard surfaces.

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 25 January 2006, 11:15

Hi Roman

You write that you "never had any problems". This sounds ok, but it sounds not very enthusiastic. Is it just ok or better?

I've some further questions to you:

I guess you ride (as a virus rider) with high binding angles. In such a setup the best would be that the binding-plate is convex (=bent) only in longitudinal direction but flat in lateral direction.
So you have max flex in board direction an it's stiff in lateral direction to bring the pressure on the edge.

In a setup with wider boards and lower binding angles, it should be the opposite.

(Maybe?) Very best would be if there is a base plate on the board that is convex in boards-longitudinal direction but flat in boards-lateral direction.
Then an other plate on the top to set up the binding angle.

How is it with this virus binding?

(I hope every body understand what I wanted to ask...).

Best Regards
Olaf

Roman: How much does this binding cost? I just remember from our last discussion that is is quite expensive, but I forgot the exact price)

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roman » Wednesday 25 January 2006, 12:00

hey olaf

well, for me it is the best binding i ever had to date! very stiff and very tough.
i think you are right, the freeflex plate is built to fit the narrower boards. personal experience with other witdhs of boards are all the way good, no problems so far.
never heard of a binding plate the way you mentioned...maybe unfortunately...?
i can offer you some testrides with a virusbinding. cost is 490.-chf

bye then!

roman

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 25 January 2006, 20:31

Thanks Roman

I'll try them as discussed.

Olaf

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Sunday 12 February 2006, 14:36

I had the opportunity to ride the virus non-step-in-binding and I decided to buy it.

Here my impressions (and of course they could differ from your own impressions):

The binding is very flat. Ok, it is a bit higher than my old Burton Race Plate, but it is much lower than most of the others (e.g. my trench digger 1). If I’m lower on the board, I’ve the better feeling for the board.

Angular setup is precise (1 degree steps). One disadvantage is that you have to open 8 screws per binding to change the angular (first open the 4 screws for the stance and then remove the 4 screws for the angular). With F2 plates, you only have to open 4 screws (for stance and angular).
But it is positive, that you only have to open 4 screws to change the stance.
The boot size setup is also possible with in very small steps.

The handling of the front bail is very easy.
The rear bail is not as stable as the F2 rear bail. So, getting in the virus-binding sometimes took a second or a third try. (But it is much better than the TD1, where the rear bail is very!! loose).

The main feature is that it is bent at the bottom to allow larger board-flex in the turns. If I understand the concept correct, I think the idea is that the board can bend up to a certain point very easy. If you bend the board stronger (beyond this point), it touches the binding at a larger area and prevents the board from damage. A similar concept can be found at the trench digger 1, where plastic bumpers do this work (continuous increase of the resistance forces with the TD1 against digital increase with the virus).
However, I was not able to manually bend the board to the point where the whole surface touches the board (but maybe I did not understand the concept correct). The board (Swoard 2D medium) was just too hard to do this manually.
I also did not feel significant differences when riding compared to Burton plate (that touches always with the whole surface). This may also be because the 2D medium is quite hard for me.

Because I need beside my Burton a second binding, I decided to buy this virus thing.
Setup is more precise than with my Burton and it is almost as low as the Burton. Also the handling of the bails is good (the rear bail could be a bit more stable as said).
Unfortunately I did not feel anything about the main feature (the bent bottom of the binding). For this I need I softer board (but this will be another topic).

I will not use anymore my Bomber-TD1 that has many disadvantages: Quite high / I bent the front bail even if it is about 6mm strong / the rear bail is very uncomfortable because it is very very loose.

Best Regards. Especially to those who could be at the ECS06. Unfortunately I could not be there.

Olaf

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roman » Monday 13 February 2006, 17:32

as the 'shaper' of this tested binding said to me, a board has to be bended to ride a 1m (!) radius. so there should be no problem with that... :D

ride on,

roman