Canting vrs Heel & Toe Lift

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 23 July 2002, 9:58

Hi everyone,

Three months later, I get the answer!
It came in my mind during last night.
NateW wrote:Consider your front foot for a moment - when you lift the toe, the knee is moved toward the heel edge a bit, but if you also cant inward, the knee moves toward the toe edge. Combined, the knee has just moved backward, toward the tail of the board... so if you move the whole binding forward 2cm or so, and the end result is just a wider stance. The only angle that has changed is at the hips, which now spread slightly further.
This was so pertinent, that I didn't know what to say...

In fact, durind an EC turn, we have the same kind of canting described by Nate, without any pad or disk, but because the board is bent in the same circle arc than the turn.

This can be clearly seen on this photo:

Jacques

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Thursday 21 November 2002, 20:59

Hi all

Jaques Wrote:
In fact, during an EC turn, we have the same kind of canting described by Nate, without any pad or disk, but because the board is bent in the same circle arc than the turn.
Does this mean that it is possible to perform EC turns if you use the discs described by NateW?

Out of the discussion in this topic I would say yes: Because in a turn with flat settings, the cant/lift is of the same kind than with the discs describes by NateW. With the discs, it is just a little bit more canting/lift than without.

What is your opinion?

:) Olaf :)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 21 November 2002, 21:13

Hi Olaf,

With canting, you will be "double canted" during the EC turn. Your knies may hit each other.

It's difficult for us to explain why canting is not so good.
We just feel that everything works so much better with flat bindings (with our settings of course).

Jacques

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Thursday 21 November 2002, 21:53

Hi Jaques

Wow, this was a fast response 8O

I just asked this question because yesterday I had my first day with flat settings. But after the whole day I still felt VERY uncomfortable with this settings :(
After some runs I reduced the stance width (from 49.5cm to 47.5cm, my high: 184cm). It was a bit better but still not comfortable when riding. It was almost impossible for me to bent my knees! If I want to try your push/pull technique I is necessary that Ican bent my knees (for the pull).

In the last season I used to carve with discs similar to those descibes by NateW. My feeling was much better. I could carve without any counter rotation and I had a very goog board control with these settings. But: I could not do linked laid turns (I didn't know anything about the push/pull technique that I want to learn this season).

Next time when I'm on the slope I'll try with different setting. Yesterday it could have been a bit to much changes at one time: I also had a new boot, no setback and different binding angles.

Regs
:) Olaf :)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 21 November 2002, 22:25

The cause of all is the stiffness of your boots and bindings.
You should be able to bend your ankles easily.
Your bindings should be adjusted in a way you can lateraly swing your boots.

If you meet these 2 conditions, you can move your body over the board, forward, backward, on the right and on the left.
So you can do all the mouvements you need and feel comfortable.

The goal is to mix a little bit of the freedom of softboots with the power of hardboots.

Jacques

Bobby Buggs
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bobby Buggs » Saturday 23 November 2002, 2:51

rilliet wrote:The goal is to mix a little bit of the freedom of softboots with the power of hardboots.

Jacques
Thats why I ride my Raichle boots with the walk/flex lever open for free flex. :lol: