Catek Freeride Pro

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Benn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Catek Freeride Pro

Post by Benn » Tuesday 13 December 2005, 17:31

Hi there!

Did somebody try the Catek Freeride (pro) ?
http://www.catek.com/freeride.htm

I need new "Soft" bindings (since i cannot walk with hardboots ... Yahhh it hurts!).

Catek bindings look like a very good stuff and they use Nidecker Carbon 900 Straps (also very good stuff!).

Then, i'm looking for information according to:
- weigth
- precision
- comfort
- flexibility/rigidity
- european dealers

Thx,
Benn

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Catek Freeride Pro

Post by kelvin o » Tuesday 13 December 2005, 20:40

- weight: They are lighter than they look. Whe you first see them and see all the metal everyone says they must be heavy. I think you could compare them to any standard construction binding in terms of weight. Carbon fiber bindings may be lighter but I don't think you would really notice unless you had a really light board AND light boots and you're doing a lot of jumping.

- precision: I assume this has to do with fit? Excellent. The only think you have to be careful with is if your boot heels fit snugly into the heel cup. I have Malamutes and they fit great in the binding. Some have argued that they like a fitted base plate that a plastic base plate allows but I don't see it as a problem unless the heel doesn't fit.

- comfort: With the Nidecker 900 straps they are very comfortable.

- flexibility/rigidity: VERY rigid. It's interesting to have the adjustability available for a soft boot binding. It might be a bit of overkill but it's fun to play with.

- european dealers: Can't say but easily order through Catek here in the US.

The reason I got them is that you can keep the mounting plate on the board and swap out Olympic bindings (hardboots) with the Freerides (soft boots) with one large bolt and a little fiddlling with four set screws. Very convenient when you want to ride with hard boots in the morning and softies in the PM or the other way around...

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

sounds interesting :)

Post by nils » Tuesday 13 December 2005, 22:28

If google stocks keep going up i think i'll get both to try :)

N.

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

and Phiokka ?

Post by The Blitz » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 7:48

And Phiokka ?
They look like PH1 hard binding :
http://www.phiokka.com/soft.html
 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

Benn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Catek Freeride Pro

Post by Benn » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 9:20

kelvin o wrote:- weight: They are lighter than they look. Whe you first see them and see all the metal everyone says they must be heavy. I think you could compare them to any standard construction binding in terms of weight. Carbon fiber bindings may be lighter but I don't think you would really notice unless you had a really light board AND light boots and you're doing a lot of jumping.
I just prefer light bindings! :)
kelvin o wrote:- precision: I assume this has to do with fit? Excellent. The only think you have to be careful with is if your boot heels fit snugly into the heel cup. I have Malamutes and they fit great in the binding. Some have argued that they like a fitted base plate that a plastic base plate allows but I don't see it as a problem unless the heel doesn't fit.
I'm a little bit worry about "high" is the heel cup.
To me, it looks like the back roll bar will constraint the boot above the Heel hard part. do you confirm?
Is it also an issue when you're talking about the way it fits ?
kelvin o wrote:- comfort: With the Nidecker 900 straps they are very comfortable.
For sure, Nidecker Carbon 900 are excellent!
What about the base plate comfort? Is there any bumper or pads?
kelvin o wrote:- flexibility/rigidity: VERY rigid. It's interesting to have the adjustability available for a soft boot binding. It might be a bit of overkill but it's fun to play with.
Very interesting.
kelvin o wrote:- european dealers: Can't say but easily order through Catek here in the US.
I would love a local dealer to see how it looks! :)
kelvin o wrote:The reason I got them is that you can keep the mounting plate on the board and swap out Olympic bindings (hardboots) with the Freerides (soft boots) with one large bolt and a little fiddlling with four set screws. Very convenient when you want to ride with hard boots in the morning and softies in the PM or the other way around...
Very very interesting ! :D

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 16:05

A note about swapping the Freerides and Olympics... This only works with the original Olympics (not the OS2). The Freerides and the OS2s' baseplates are NOT compatible so if you want to do the swapping thing you have to get the original OS's or wait until the Freerides get the same baseplate treatment as the OS2's (a question that you might post over on the Catek forum if it hasn't been done already).
Benn wrote:I'm a little bit worry about "high" is the heel cup.
To me, it looks like the back roll bar will constraint the boot above the Heel hard part. do you confirm?
Is it also an issue when you're talking about the way it fits ?
I'm not exactly sure what your question is but from what I've understood, I've heard that some boot heels are too wide so don't actually fit into the heel cup or too narrow so have too much movement in the heel. I haven't heard anything about the heel cup being too high though. Again my Salomon Malamutes fit perfectly and Sean Martin of Donek fame uses Deeluxe soft boots with his Freerides (info from the Donek website).
Benn wrote:What about the base plate comfort? Is there any bumper or pads?
The base plate is just a flat aluminum plate, no forming, no padding, no nothing, just metal. This has been one criticism of the system that there is no damping system. I think this is fine for soft boot carving where the boots do a lot of the damping anyway but for freestyle and landing big airs on hard snow it might be too stiff (this is just a guess since I almost exclusively stay on the ground except for a few carving type, longer than higher, airs). I would think it would be very easy to add a neoprene pad to the base plate but his would depend on your boots, your insoles and your preferences.

Benn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Benn » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 17:22

Thanks Kelvin! :bravo:

I first need FreeRide bindings. Hard bindings are scheduled for next year!
Then, i will wait for Catek Freeriding stuff with new plates.

(Note that there is a conversion kit to use the same plate with OS2 and FR)

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 18:05

Benn, I didn't see the conversion kit for the Freerides. Where did you see it?

Benn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Benn » Thursday 15 December 2005, 9:10

I did not see it.

I read it on the forum:
http://www.catek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19

GS said: "You can use the old style disc, but you have to purchase the conversion kit for the kingpin. It converts the 12mm kingpin to a 10mm one. It's available for around $20 here on this web site."

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Thursday 15 December 2005, 14:44

I believe the "older discs" that they're refering to is the old style World Cup bindings which had a smaller sized king pin. I looked again and found the following regarding Olympic/Freeride compatibility with the OS2's...

http://www.catek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112
Can riders with older Cateks upgrade to the OS2 PowerPlate?

Will the top plates (long, short, freeride) of the OS1 and Freeride bindings fit onto the new OS2 power plate?

Those are kind of the same question, and the answer is no. The under-side of the OS2 top plate (long & short) has been extensively machined to interface with the OS2 Power Plate.

(The OS1 and Freeride plates would sit WAY above standard ride height in order to clear the ribs on the Power Plate. So high in fact that the tilt screws and kingpin wouldn't be able to engage.)

Regards,
swt
Bummer, looks like we're going to have to wait a bit more for the freeride to catch up. :(
Donek Incline 160, Catek Freerides,
O-Sin 4807 168, F2 Proflex Titanflex,
Raichle 224's (lots of mods)

Benn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Benn » Thursday 15 December 2005, 14:53

kelvin o wrote:I believe the "older discs" that they're refering to is the old style World Cup bindings which had a smaller sized king pin. I looked again and found the following regarding Olympic/Freeride compatibility with the OS2's...
Now, i understand.
Thx for the explanation.
kelvin o wrote:Bummer, looks like we're going to have to wait a bit more for the freeride to catch up. :(
Agree with you.
Let's claim new Freeride Pro bindings for next year or sooner!! :wink:

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Monday 19 December 2005, 21:24

Donek Incline 160, Catek Freerides,
O-Sin 4807 168, F2 Proflex Titanflex,
Raichle 224's (lots of mods)

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Tuesday 20 December 2005, 21:17

As The Blitz stated...

Phiokka?

I tried the MIX1... extreme responsive but indeed a bit heavy. Also available with Disc
Attachments
Mix1-rear.jpg
Forward Lean adjustment
Mix1-rear.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 10775 times
Mix1.jpg
Phiokka MIX1
Mix1.jpg (94.43 KiB) Viewed 5039 times