Splitboards

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Splitboards

Post by SITO » Sunday 4 December 2005, 20:06

Hi Guys!

I have seen and reading about Split-board,it seem more comfy to transport at the top of the mountain on your foot than in your back. :lol:

Any experience, how this boards go.......??

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

Rob Stevens
Rank 3
Rank 3

Splits

Post by Rob Stevens » Wednesday 7 December 2005, 1:46

Hi Sito;
If you're thinking of buying a split, the Voile kit is the way to go. They used to make a complete package (board and split device, no bindings) but now they only produce the hardware for the conversion of the board of your choice.
If you want the whole thing, try the Prior (which uses the Voile kit). This is probably the best bet as the do-it-yourself method could go badly...
The main drawback with splits is the WEIGHT. They're heavy bastards.
I did see something on this site once showing a collapsable mini-ski. This is the way to go, I think, as snowshoes traverse poorly and I can't handle a heavy snowboard.
If you don't mind the weight, I can tell you that the Voile Split Decision I rode did not flex at the seam the way I thought it would and the way the Burton did.
A very useful tool (unless you lose your tools!)
Lates

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Sunday 11 December 2005, 17:48

Hi Rob,

Thanks, :wink:
I was travel in the web of Voile&Prior, both are a good bet.

Seems that this boards will work like a solid board.

Only the worst is his weight, but I think is better to carry the weight sliding with the foots than carry on the back,even with collapsable skys, overcoat in windiest days.

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

JonDahl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JonDahl » Thursday 23 February 2006, 6:11

Hey Sito, go to splitboard.com for any and all questions on this subject. Voile makes complete boards, in the freeride series, a 172 swallowtail, and their new Mtn. Gun series. Prior obviously does, and it's rumored that Donek may join the list if they can justify the costs. Burton makes a split, now it is Voile hardware you have to buy 'cause they quit using their own designed stuff. Too fragile. In deep snow and long approaches, it's better on your feet than your back! :P
Speed doesn't kill, it'd the sudden decelleration!

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Sunday 26 February 2006, 18:52

Hello,

Yeah, Voile makes good stuff. However, the big problem in my eyes is that their split boards are split in two parts. Using a ski-track, especially in icy / hard conditions, is almost impossible. And traversing passages, especially in hard condition or on steep terrain, are not really fun either with such a wide "ski" under your foot.

The solution is a split-board made of three parts. The two outer parts are used as skis for the ascent, the middle part is put on the backpack. On the summit you connect all three parts and surf down 8) .

I tried this three-parts-splitboard several times and can highly recommend it, if you are after serious backcountry tours. The board allows you an easier ascent than with a two-part splitboard, on the descent it feels like a normal non-splitboard. A splitboard is obviously heavier than a normal board, however, it is not really bad. Maybe it takes 15 min more to reach the summit than the skiers, that's all.

The website for this splitboard is
www.t3-splitboard.de

There is a lot of information on this website (German and English) that should cover many questions about how this three-part system works.

The split system is different to the Voile-Kit. There are heated debates as to which system is better. I personally feel that both are good and would not recommend one over the other. The t3 system is less prone to icing, I think, the Voile-kit is a little bit easier to handle, maybe. But I would really say that both systems work well, you need a little practice to get used to it, and then you are pretty fast in using it.

Because of patent issues there is only one manufacturer out there who makes this three-parts-splitboard (see above website) while other manufacturers usually make two-part splitboards. To avoid a misunderstanding I disclose here that the inventor of the t3-splitboard, Stefan Schiele, is a friend of mine. Weigh my opinion about this board as you want.

By the way, for those that might remember: A few years ago there were splitboards made of three parts by Jester. They were based on Stefan's patent, however, the boards were not really good quality, so in total the splitboard did not work very well and received a lot of bad feedback. For a few years now Jester does not make these boards any more, Stefan went on his own to find a good producer for his splitboards. The new versions are made of carbon and are of excellent quality from what I was seeing and riding myself. The carbon also helps to keep weight down.

So, in conclusion I would say: If you want just one splitboard for the perfect powder days and ascents in easier terrain, than both systems should work fine. If you want to use your splitboard in various conditions and for harder ascents, in my eyes the three-part system has clear advantages.

Stefan Schiele will soon make available a longer t3-splitboard with a new shape (similar to the Dupraz D1). I have not used it yet, he is very enthusiastic about it. It should work perfectly in powder and handle also very well on hardpack. So, I would say it is worth the wait to check this longer version.

All the best,

Eduard.
--
Swoard 175M 0048