Carving equipment

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Friday 17 March 2006, 11:19

you wanna do ec, right?
don't go for the SP, waist width is too small (binding angle), the radius ist too short, its behaviour is sometimes insidious and it loves nose digging, or do you like front loops? ok, that sounds almost a bit too negative.

since you are boarding so many years, I'm sure after a few days you can handle a giant slalom board, that's also my recommendation, because they are wider and have a suitable scr (12 to 15m).

for days where the slopes are really crowded you can still take your old boards.

have fun
Simon

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Friday 17 March 2006, 11:54

well thats the way i thought about it :) thx a lot for making the decission easier...

but at the beginning of my search i knew 2-3 boards i could decide in between, but now im absolutly helpless as there are brands like virus, hot, pogo, oxess and of course each one writes that their boards are the best to buy for money......

i just thought about "learning" ec on rental equip and then testing some boards until i do my final decision........ what about that?

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Friday 17 March 2006, 12:05

h3in3k3n wrote:i just thought about "learning" ec on rental equip and then testing some boards until i do my final decision........ what about that?
that's a good idea, but it's just impossible to rent race gear!
Buy a board on ebay and practise. for that you don't need a custom board like virus, kessler....

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 17 March 2006, 12:42

h3in3k3n wrote:well thats the way i thought about it :) thx a lot for making the decission easier...

but at the beginning of my search i knew 2-3 boards i could decide in between, but now im absolutly helpless as there are brands like virus, hot, pogo, oxess and of course each one writes that their boards are the best to buy for money......

i just thought about "learning" ec on rental equip and then testing some boards until i do my final decision........ what about that?
Good luck with rental.
I don't know with Germany, but in France you will NEVER find a board suitable to learn EC in shops.

The Swoard is very good for learning, but a bit expensive that's true. GS boards can be unexpensive (well... at least less expensive), but they are unforgiving too !
Yes the F2 Speedster RS is a great board, but it's a GS board. It's very good for Giant Slalom but not for EC the way Jacques and Patrice teach it. It's too narrow and not versatile at all. Silberfeil isn't better for EC, even if it's a good board too.

I think for something cool (forgiving and large) and less expensive:
- an old Swoard 3D (ask Nils if they still have some - but be carefull they are fragile)
- The TWO by Pure Boarding ( http://www.pureboarding.ch/pureboarding ... id=two&L=1 )
- The Proto by Nidecker (a bit narrow for EC if you have long feet, but if you are small feeted it's a very cool and versatile carver)
- The Shine by Hot (it's old but if you can find one in good condition go for it)
- any carver that's long (edge's contact length superior to 140cm), large (waist width between 21 and 24cm), with a big radius (between 10 and 14m) and moderatly stiff (boards aimed at great speeds, like GS, are too stiff for EC).

My last thought:
If you can afford a Swoard, go for it. For learning it will be easier, more fun, and more rewarding. And if you finaly get bored with carving, you will very easly find someone who wants to buy your board. ;)
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Friday 17 March 2006, 14:05

just to understand each other, u even suggest a swoard for my first hours on hard gear??

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Swoard

Post by Hans » Friday 17 March 2006, 14:15

h3in3k3n wrote:just to understand each other, u even suggest a swoard for my first hours on hard gear??
The Swoard is an easy forgiving alpine board to begin with due to the width of the board. It's a very stable patform you are on. You can even slide this one through the snow.

For instance my Coiler is smaller and longer and therefore less forgiving (18,5 cm). Even a slight unbalance of your body at the wrong side, and I will be punished (what happended to me this season once).

Greets, Hans.

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Simon » Friday 17 March 2006, 15:05

h3in3k3n wrote:just to understand each other, u even suggest a swoard for my first hours on hard gear??
yes, good idea (I thought you're looking for something else than a swoard)

for sure, ec is easier an a swoard and the swoard works even better on bumpy or soft slope, also in powder it does a good job compared to a "normal" race board.

no, I don't sell mine

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 17 March 2006, 15:42

Absolutly.
It's one of the easiest alpine for beginner.
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Friday 17 March 2006, 17:41

ok guys thank u a lot for so much response u were really very kind with me i know i suck very much as i cannot do a decision by myself ;)

but now i have an idea of what to take care of...

boots and binding i can take one of the recommended in former posts no worries if they fit exactly to the board i finally choose?