Carving equipment

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Braun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Braun » Wednesday 15 March 2006, 7:23

I'm 110kg/192cm, I ride Silberpfeil 172 and i'm happy with it. It rocks on ice and it is good in chopped up spring afternoon too! Of course mainly short turns but on crowded slopes ... 8)
Sims Burner 188, F2 Silberpfeil 172, Sporten SX2000 (rockboard). F2 Titanflex, Voodoo Spirit

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Wednesday 15 March 2006, 18:11

well, thank u braun, u give me some hope yesterday i thought i should forget starting ec...

i think i will try to get some boards for test rides but i think one should have an idea when entering the test center otherwise one never knows with what equip one leaves it ;)

u guys were talking about speedster i just found the SL what is the otherone about??

but am i right with that u all say the swoard i the "best"?

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Wednesday 15 March 2006, 18:45

F2 Speedster SL; slalom board
F2 Speedster RS: giant slalom board
F2 Speedster GTS: carving board with slalom shape, not produced any more

difference between speedster RS and Silberpfeil: both have a good edge hold even on ice (SP is a bit better on ice). they have a very different flex pattern, RS is soft on nose and tail and siff in the center, SP is the contrary, siff nose and tail. that's why the RS handles bumpy and soft slope better, SP tends to nose digging. RS handles carved turns at every speed, turns just will be bigger at high speed. SP has a "speed limit", carving above that limit, the board chatters and you loose edge. the SP needs more attention, because its nervouse and agressive, every hard fall I had was on SP. a small anseen bump at the end of a turn and a bit inattention and the SP throws you off. that does not mean the RS is lame it's just a bit more damp. i like more the behaviour of the RS, it's also easier to lay down. If you are scared of the 16m sidecut form the 183 RS take a shorter one, even though long high speed turns are the best!

try yourself

Simon

PS: for me swoard is only the best on real steep slopes, on "normal" slopes I prefer the RS

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Thursday 16 March 2006, 10:14

and as u not even mentioned SL in ur text, i see that there is no condition in which it could beat the others, right?

but to be honest to ride the RS as u discribed u should have almost empty pists? i mean its no problem for me i can go off season but the most i spent anyway during peak season as not every guy i want to ride with can plan his vacations like i can :)

but thanks a lot for ur posting it helped a lot to get a view in this metier and the more i read about the faster i wanna go snowboarding testing ec :D

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Thursday 16 March 2006, 11:06

I never rode a Speedster SL, but I own an GTS, I started boarding with this stick, it's short 158 with a small 9m sidecut. well, it's not bad for carving, but it does not allow higher speed and the turns are really short, lay down deep is very difficult, I haven't used it for several years.

For every carving you need empty slopes. from this point of view the difference is not big between SP and RS, if you push the RS hard the turns aren't that big as the big sidecut lets assume. sometimes it's even an advantage, because you are faster and so you have the same speed as most skiers. naturally it depends also an the ski area, if the slopes are very narrow in general, then an RS is a bad choice.

Simon, also wanna go ....

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Thursday 16 March 2006, 11:46

i think there is a minimum length i should ride... similar to freeriding...

off course it depends on the stiffness of the board, but for exampel the RS i can remember u mentioned once 183... that sounds a bit long... or do u think that would fit?
for example the soward if im right, the longest is 175 i can just change the stiffness to H (guess it means hard?? =) )

cya

ps: are there any alternatives to F2 and swoard??

HotBlast
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HotBlast » Thursday 16 March 2006, 12:22

Yes there are...

Test A Hot Blast 178! (Rider's weight: 80-120kg)

I rode:

Speedster SL 160 (9m): extreme LOW SPEED Board! Superb Edge hold, clean carving turns. But when driven at higher speeds: No Carving is possible any more. In my opinien it is a Board for very narrow pists.

Speedster GTS 158 (R9m): Nice Board. But it doesn' really "rock" you. When driven faster it is both: gliding and carving. Can be controlled well on any slopes. Boring?.... yes!

Hot Blast 152 (1998version, 8,6m): Best board I have ever driven. Different Radii possible, fine edge hold, first Board i fully trusted in edge hold. much rebound. throws you up in the Air after every turn - if you want -

Oxygen Kr64carbon (13m): My first Board that could be driven at much higher Speeds. And I never want this "new Carving" felling get missed!

Now I am going to test my 167 Blast (12,3m).

Very Important for "tall" men/women: Blasts's waist width is now 19,8 cm! (since2003) so you can use stance angles that allow you more fluent upper Body movements.

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Thursday 16 March 2006, 13:03

hmm didnt know that my height is a problem too :( just thought i had to look for a board which tolerates my weight...

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Simon » Thursday 16 March 2006, 13:33

height is a problem too, because your center of gravity is higher and the lever to the board gets longer, so it's more difficult to stay centered on a short board, you know what I mean?

sure a 183 RS is long, but the nose is really soft and for me the swoard 175 feels longer!
I'm 185 and 70kg, my swoard 175S is only slightly softer the 183RS. I wish the real long RS would be produced again, in 1998 they were available till 196, wow!

Simon

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Thursday 16 March 2006, 14:48

crazy :)

the most skiers have smaller skies even than my fr board, so what will they say if their shit skies allways get shorter and i come up with a 183?? hehe...
hopefully they dont call for the lunatic asylum ;)

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Simon » Thursday 16 March 2006, 15:23

skiers will look at you as you were a martian :wink:

Braun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ad board length & radius

Post by Braun » Thursday 16 March 2006, 15:46

Simon is of course right that even long board (ridden properly) with bigger radius is able to carve short turns. It is only matter of speed and riding technique. "Advantage" (IMHO) of board with tighter radius is that you are able to perform such turns on lower speed. So i can aggressively ride my SP on crowded piste and these conditions are regular on my local resort.

To be honest i'm able to ride my Burner 188 only during night skiing when the piste is almost empty. In general my ride on SP is much more dynamical and agile (bu this of course could be lack of my riding technique).

BTW SP is not slow i'm usualy faster than REGULAR skiers here. Of course on Burner i ride at mach speed, but conditions must be instant.
Sims Burner 188, F2 Silberpfeil 172, Sporten SX2000 (rockboard). F2 Titanflex, Voodoo Spirit

Omega
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Omega » Thursday 16 March 2006, 18:33

Just scrolled down all the advices, and I am a little bit confused,,,, which is the best board for a "super fast layed down" wannabe ?
The F2 speedster RS or the SilberPfeil ?
From the advice above on this page it looks like the RS is the best most versatile and easier board to ride, but on F2's page it really sounds opposite....
Opinons ?

- ski hard - die happy -

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Radius

Post by Hans » Thursday 16 March 2006, 18:40

Omega wrote:Just scrolled down all the advices, and I am a little bit confused,,,, which is the best board for a "super fast layed down" wannabe ?
The F2 speedster RS or the SilberPfeil ?
From the advice above on this page it looks like the RS is the best most versatile and easier board to ride, but on F2's page it really sounds opposite....
Opinons ?

- ski hard - die happy -
The boards with a bigger radius are more suitable to lay down some turns. With a slalomboard with say about 9m sidecut, it would be hard.
So the 172 SilberPfeil is the most suitable from the SilberPfeilrange, but it would be more difficult. The Speedster 168 and 173 would be more suitable (13 and 14 m radius). Just my 2 cents.

Greets, Hans.

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Thursday 16 March 2006, 21:31

i hope u dont blame me the wannabe... hehe nice rhyme by the way :)

i think i clearly described from which sector of snowboarding im comin so of course i wont beat the "oldschoolers" in my first season... and i still wanna ride my fr but nevertheless i think i have the right to ask what would be the best board for me and nothingelse i asked for... im not a dreamer who thinks with a 2000euro custom, one doesnt have to work for some nice carves...

so........ pschhhhht.