Bomber & Catek comparison again

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bomber & Catek comparison again

Post by Jakob » Friday 25 March 2005, 8:12

Hi!

Before a while there was a debate about Catek bindings, some compared them with TD, but at the time there wasn't TD2 and TiD2 available. I was wondering if you can comment on those two, I'm particularly interested in bails on Cateks, anyone broke them, bent them? And also dampening comparison between those bindings... I decuided to go for a steel binding (perhaps even TiD2), as partly plastic bindings and my burton Race plates are not reliable enough... :evil:

Thanks for any information,

Jakob
Element - water.

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Bomber & Catek comparison again

Post by roger » Friday 25 March 2005, 8:54

Jakob,
Jakob wrote:I decuided to go for a steel binding (perhaps even TiD2), as partly plastic bindings and my burton Race plates are not reliable enough...
Steel binding? What bindings are made of steel? Or perhaps you mean Aluminium binding, such as the TD2?
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Friday 25 March 2005, 9:02

Yes, sorry, I'm not that much into metal world (except for heavy metal music)...

What I mean is metal binding, whatever metal that might be, as long as it's strong :twisted:

Bye,

Jakob
Element - water.

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 25 March 2005, 11:16

Check out the thread on Titanium TD2... or go directly to Bomber Online. Those are really cool looking and it seems they should solve the little issues with the aluminum ones.

Ciao
Francesco
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Friday 25 March 2005, 11:34

I know, I've more or less read about TD2 and TiD2. I haven't found that much on Cateks though. At least not in the sense of durability. There have been posts of people bending and even breaking TD2 bails. :roll:

Titanium Bombers should take care of this problem. However, I haven't noticed any such problems with Cateks. I don't know whether this is because they are of better quality or because less people tried Cateks... :?:

If I go for Bomber, I'd take Titanium ones and Bomber offers 5 year warranty 8O :!: But then again, Cateks are much cheaper than TiD2, but they come with only 1 year warranty. But if their bails are better, that doesn't really matter...

I just want a binding, that will last without problems, I'm tired of screwing and unscrewing those bingings, looking for cracks and always taking a spare pair of bindings in my backpack :evil:

Thanx,

Jakob
Element - water.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bindings

Post by Hans » Friday 25 March 2005, 12:16

Rode every binding you mentioned. Burton, Cateks, TD2's and F2 (Proflex) bindings. Never broke a bail. However I seriously bend some Burtonbails. If you want a rock solid less expensive binding, I go for the F2. If you want some looks, take the Gold Digger TD or the Cateks. The Cateks are more rigid than the Gold Digger bombers. The Cateks have more possibilities to adjust. It's just some personal preference.

I think you will have a good binding from F2. You can often buy them cheap at http://sport.listings.ebay.de/Bindungen ... ngItemList

If you have some questions, just email me. Hope this helps.

Greets, Hans.
Attachments
F2_raceTitanium35.jpg
F2_raceTitanium35.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 11576 times

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Friday 25 March 2005, 13:07

Hi Hans!

Thanks a lot for your comments. I know F2 bindings are less expensive and they are available in Slovenia. I rode Burton Race plates and some other less known brands and I've broken them all. On Burtons I broke every possible part: base plate several times, front and rear bails and screws that hold it all together. Luckily I never got hurt. But constant binding breaking made me suspisious and insecure. If I broke metal parts I cannot trust those plastic parts on F2 bindings. Perhaps those parts are better and of better quality than my Burtons, but I just dont trust them. Silly perhaps, but that's how it is. :oops:

And BTW, looks don't matter to me - I'd go for Titanium bombers solely for quality reasons. :D

Bye,

Jakob
Element - water.

Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dave » Friday 25 March 2005, 16:06

I ordered some F2 racing titaniums!

There is only one thing I regret -> that I didn't ordered them earlyer!

They are really good! I think this is the best binding you can get for the moment

Dave
Party hard, party wise
Swoard2005 168H 004, Northwave nexus grey

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Friday 25 March 2005, 18:33

F2(Proflex) bindings are the ones most ridden on the Worldcup. Just get one out of the race series. I have never hear about them breaking. They are very stiff. what I like bout my burtons - burtons have lateral flex.

e-mammut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Virus Platebindings

Post by e-mammut » Wednesday 30 March 2005, 21:39

Hans,

even if the season is slowly fading away,
I still need a check on the virus plate bindings.
Do you know them ? Has anyone else a statement
about them.

For the next winter ,
I`m looking for an alternative to my burton
raceplates and my TD2`s.

What could be the most decent binding for
a powder board?-I destroyed my second
K2 Eldorado, using a Burton Raceplate.

Greets from sunny Berlin,
Daniel.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bindings

Post by Hans » Wednesday 30 March 2005, 23:30

Hi, Daniel

I don't have any experience with riding hardplates/-boots on a powder or big all mountain board. I have never ridden hardplates in the soft, deep, fresh snow. I always ride softboots in the fresh. I like my flowbindings. I like the indirect movement of this setup in the fresh. Or I ride this board when my legs are hurting. Or when the pist is bumpy. So I am nothing gonna change about my softsetup: POGO Longboard 175 with Flow Pro FR bindings and my Vans softboots. If I will damage my POGO (which will last for years I think), I would probably buy the same or a bigger POGO Longboard.

VIRUS bindings, never saw them in real. Don't know about stiffness or lateral stuff of this bindings. May be Tom or Skywalker (VIRUS) can say something about these bindings. The specs of this product seems good to me. But I then prefer my TD2's (no arguments for this, just a personal feel).

Greets, Hans.

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Wednesday 30 March 2005, 23:34

sorry for your K2 Eldorado, it was an insane powder board in the long, was it 183cm length? As well a machine for ripping slopes in softboots. One of the hardest freerideboards out there. It has been some time ago that i boarded it last, but I loved it.

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Thursday 31 March 2005, 11:22

Hi Daniel,

sorry but i never tested a Virus binding so i am not able to tell you something about it. I think skywalker has also no experience with virus bindings but i am not 100% sure.

I would suggest you directly contact Frank Dietzel from Virus and ask him about the bindings or post a request in the guestbook at the virus homepage.

http://www.virus-snowboards.de/2005/html/guestbook.html

There should be some people who tested the virus bindings and can compare them to other ones like proflex etc.

Good luck.

Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

No Idea...

Post by skywalker » Thursday 31 March 2005, 12:55

Hi

Although I don't like these No-Idea-Post, I will try to answer your questions. I never rode on the Virus-Bindings, but had a pair of them with me at the ECS. As mentioned in a former Thread, they obviously are made by Phiokka. I only disassembled and reassembled the Virus bindings, as I liked my F2 so much better already after looking at the Virus'. (Sorry Frank, only my frank opinion). This only made me even more convinced, that there is no reason to spend any additional Euro than you have to pay for a good offer of the F2 Titanium.
free extreme carving

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Thursday 31 March 2005, 16:26

A dumb question perhaps, but still better to be stupid for five minutes than remain stupid for the rest of your life: did I get this right or are there two lines of F2 titanium bindings: "ordinary" and race? I don't mean step-in and classic, but design/material? And what is Titanflex? Any breakages so far anyone? :oops:
Thanx,

Jakob
Element - water.