Heelside turn problem

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Monday 2 December 2002, 18:07

Hi all,

the division worked for me as well, but one should just be aware that with rounding errors this is not really an exact measure. E.g. 19/34=0,5588..., still near to 0,6...but a difference of an inch can already very well make a big difference for one's riding. This recommendation helps for not being "way off" of a good stance width maybe, but the fine tuning remains with you and many tries on slope...
As Patrice and Jacques are riding a quite wide stance I tried it out as well. In the beginning strange and uncomfortable, but by now I like it very much because of giving me better control (at least I think so...).

Regards, Eduard.

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Monday 2 December 2002, 18:58

I've heard also following formula: stance width should be equal to distance from floor to knee (can't remember, to which exact part of knee, was it kneecap?).
I personally think, that shoulder width works only for people with proportional body, using 0.6*inseam or length to knee would be more accurate. My shoulder width would give stance width 50 cm, but I have short feet and measuring by them gives 45-46 cm, which is more suitable for me. I tried width 50 cm also, but it put my feet too apart and put great pressure to rear foot's calf, as I had to flex rear foot quite a lot to get proper position for carving (it was on new board and bindings and first days on season, so I wasn't sure, what was wrong). Later I found from bomber that some people had same problem and decreasing stance width helped.