I want to focus on carving

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

John1986
Rank 0
Rank 0

I want to focus on carving

Post by John1986 » Sunday 6 March 2022, 17:48

I ve been snowboarding for about 15 years and started thinking about focusing on carving . I met a guy with an alpine snowboard ( first time seeing ) and I was surprised by the way these boards turn . He suggested me this forum to get more info . He also told me about a brand "sword" that produces boards focused on carving . Do you think a twin tip snowboard can make a big difference on carving ? Does this have to do with stiffness of the board ?

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Re: I want to focus on carving

Post by nils » Sunday 6 March 2022, 18:02

Hi John
Its too long an answer because you are basically asking many questions that don't have simple answers
Here is a few things:
1. any board with edge can carve, but carving is easier and more efficient with boards designed for it.

This means a twin tip board can carve, but will be less efficient than a carving board with special designed tips. Twin tip nose design or tail design will be less efficient in keeping the edge in the carve but some boards can perform well in that field.

2. Swoard ( not sword) is a brand that was created with carving in mind, so all Swoard boards are performing well in carving and some model are more versatile than carving only boards. ( this forum is run by the community of Swoard owners and is owned by Swoard company, but is not solely oriented on Swoard products).

3. Stiffness is one of many parameters regarding carving: it was long belief that stiff boards are good for carving: it is not the case. A good carving board is a mix of stiffness, shape, construction, torsion resistance etc..A very soft board with a good design can outperform a very stiff board on very hard snow, and vice versa.

4. Riding technique aka the rider will do most of the work using a good turn understanding and training: A good carver will be able to carve basically any board, but will reach the gear limit very quickly if it is not designed for carving...Many boards and makers claim to make good carving boards, but when a good carver pushes it, it reaches limits fast

5. I suggest you spend some time on the www.extremecarving.com website that gives some explaination on carving ( extremecarving is one of the styles described there, but the technique applies in many other styles and riding in general ( rotation technique)
Good luck
N.

John1986
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John1986 » Sunday 6 March 2022, 18:17

Thank you Nils for being so explanatory. I understand that the carving has some different styles . Actually I was amazed when I saw laying down turns and I suppose this is called extreme carving. I understand that it's a long way to get there but somewhere I should start from . So the basic conclusive question is buying the best equipment for that purpose and start alone practicing or first visit a school focusing on that and then the gear goes in second place ? 🤔

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Sunday 6 March 2022, 19:10

The best thing to do is to find someone to carve with so can explain you the first moves.
As said from Nils you need a specific board, soft or hard.
www.carvers.it

Fotisa2006
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fotisa2006 » Sunday 6 March 2022, 19:26

Hello John are u the guy in Greece I met at helmos ?

John1986
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John1986 » Sunday 6 March 2022, 19:27

Yeaaa that's me :pray2:

Fotisa2006
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fotisa2006 » Sunday 6 March 2022, 19:31

Happy to see you here . At first as I told you before I can give you my swoard to try..
I don't know what exactly are your plans , soft or hard boots , but you have nothing to lose by trying an alpine . It may seem strange in the beginning but you will have an idea of hard boot riding