Advice needed

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Fotisa2006
Rank 3
Rank 3

Advice needed

Post by Fotisa2006 » Friday 25 February 2022, 21:50

Sometimes when the snow is not well groomed or near icy I notice that my turning lines are not absolutely clean and a little bit wavey on the inside . I feel during the 2/3 of the turn when I try to completely lay down that the nose is oscillating causing this . Any advice for this ?
To be honest I m not 100% sure that the wavey line is on the inside or outside of the turn but looks somehow like this

On the other hand on perfect groomed snow it doesn't happen
Attachments
FB_IMG_1645821429831.jpg
FB_IMG_1645821429831.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 6363 times

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Advice needed

Post by fivat » Saturday 26 February 2022, 19:56

This is a recurrent question which the students are asking when we teach extremecarving.
The reply is: "Close more your turns!". Make turns with the "C" shape, on not the "(" shape as shown in your pictures (what we also name "banana turns").
At the end of each turn, you must have the feeling (or intention), for a very short time, to go uphill..
You win on many levels:
- you have more time for making the full movements ("push" of the legs, rotation of the hips & shoulders, tilting of the body, laying down early),
- you control your board nicely with a smooth style,
- you enjoy your laid turn longer. :D
At the end of the laid turn, "pull" your legs to recover, don't got too much in the slope line, but cross it, and concentrate to close your turn more (without losing too much speed).

It's a great feeling riding like this. An addiction! 8)

Patrice Fivat

Fotisa2006
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fotisa2006 » Sunday 27 February 2022, 10:06

Patrice thank you for your reply and the advices . So the point is to close my turns . On this video ( I know it's a sh@#ty video) I realize that I don't close all my turns . So I will have to focus on this.

https://youtu.be/JO9OA9j1wrw

Thanx again for your advice . I will definitely next year join one of the swoard meetings

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Sunday 27 February 2022, 17:25

You are welcome! 8)
Indeed, in some of your turns, you go a bit too much in the line of the slope. Another common mistake is to lay down too late, in the second part of the turn. It must be made earlier.

There are other technical details which we can't judge from your video (too small). Anyway, the best is seeing in real.

See you next season hopefully, during the Swoard Demo Tour 2023. You can also participate in a camp organized with our instructor Seb (see here).

Patrice Fivat

Qter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qter » Friday 4 March 2022, 0:19

Hi,

You can also try to put more pressure on the nose of your board.

Keep the edge :)

Qter

Fotisa2006
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fotisa2006 » Friday 4 March 2022, 11:33

Thanx for the reply .

I also found myself lifting my back hand at the end of the heelside turn and I don't know what I m doing wrong and this happens .

https://youtu.be/W3PQOknG0CE
Attachments
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1382577156.jpeg

thehardertheycome
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thehardertheycome » Sunday 17 July 2022, 12:03

this is a result of the most common mistake practicing extreme carving.
It's all about ROTATION! Speaking in Arnauds words "too much rotation is never a problem" (...but low rotation is a problem...)
Lets take a look at your Video. I will comment the last backside turn because its close to the camera and you can see quite good what is happening.
1. in the beginning of your turn (just when the left hand touches the ground), your right arm is already lifted far behind/on the backside of your body. That shows that your upper body is not rotated enough in the direction you want to do your turn.
2. you are in the middle of the turn, the board points directly down the hill. There is a short moment in which you take your right arm more in front/sidewise of your body. That looks like a good position for the turn. If you would continue pressing your right shoulder more towards the snow it would probably result in an OK turn...but you do the opposite....
3. instead of pushing more INTO the rotation you start to rotate OUT of the turn, your right shoulder moves again towards your back. As a result you loose pressure and control of the board. The board itself (and not you!) kind of finishes the turn in a very quick-uneasy-way and leaves you waving and wiggelling with you arms to keep your balance.

Summary
Rotation is the most important issue when doing extreme carving! Basically we want to rotate our hips to lead the board into the turn and hold the pressure. Rotating the upper body just guides the hips to do so and gives us a good control.
Try to start your rotation earlier and keep it/even force it till you close the turn (as mentioned above...).
Here is a video with good analysing capacities....enjoy
Daniel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjDRNMebyUE

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Friday 4 November 2022, 8:37

Hi fotisa,
I just watched your videos and was wondering if there could be another explanation. Ok, maybe two:
1. Your maximum inclination is very late in the turn, esp. on toesides (not so much on heelsides). So you have lots of pressure on the board late in the turn. You seem to work against this by riding quite slow but this cannot be the goal. Maybe you should try to lay down earlier and also stand up earlier.
2. Have you checked your binding angles? I can see riding mistakes but not enough to explain your sliding problems. Maybe it's about bootout?? Your boot should not touch the snow more than very lightly! You know the fuego test?
If it happens on soft snow, but not on hardpack, then that is very likely the reason.