modding old UPZ boots for EC?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

SteveMcQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

modding old UPZ boots for EC?

Post by SteveMcQ » Sunday 9 January 2022, 13:40

Hi everybody,

My name is Stefan and after about 15 years of abstinence I decided to start alpine boarding again. I never tried EC but it looks quite appealing so I got myself an old Swoard Gen3 (like new) and UPZ RSV Superlight boots.

As you know these boots are quite old (2005?) and afaik designed as racing boots (=very stiff).

20220107-115126.jpg
20220107-115126.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

So the big question is: can these boots be used for EC and what mods are needed?

My thoughts are:

Change the super stiff silver tongue for softer tongues (red? Black?). I'm 190cm and 90kg.

Convert to 2016+ tongues (only one attachment to boot instead of two)

Change the OEM spring system for a DGSS spring system.

Get rid if the liners and use Palau Thermofit liners instead.

Is this a worthwhile endeavour or shall I save my money and get a different boot? My RSVs are in hardly used condition and were quite reasonable (€30) and if I can save a euro or two that would be great.

Thanks,
Stefan

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: modding old UPZ boots for EC?

Post by fivat » Tuesday 11 January 2022, 9:08

Hello Stefan,

It depends on how many days you will be on the snow each season. If it's only one week, go for your solution. You seem well informed on the way how to proceed. :bravo: Drupi is still making his DGSS.
You probably also know the ACSS, which you can see here.

If you plan to ride much more, it can be worth getting new hardboots! Like the EC12 which are ready to use, with a full package to find the proper flexibility for you.

Many people don't realize that plastics are sometimes aging badly, and they can break. In this Forum we have seen broken hardboots, especially the old ones: Raichle, Head, etc.

Patrice Fivat

SteveMcQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SteveMcQ » Tuesday 11 January 2022, 9:58

Thank you Patrice!

For now I'm quite time-limited to go boarding for more than a few days per year (two little kids at home). I'm aware of the ageing plastics problem but since these boots are hardly used at all (were kept in the basement for I don't know how long) they didn't see much UV light or hot/cold changes - this could have slowed the ageing but yes, you never know for certain.
Already got some liners for a really good price. I think I can pull this off for under €200 total and yes, if I like EC will definitely look into the EC12s (great effort btw that you guys were able to get a dedicated EC boot!) if I like the EC style (never tried it before).

Cheers,
Stefan

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Tuesday 11 January 2022, 10:47

That are very stiff ones and they are exposed to cracks on the heel and the become stiffer with low temperatures.
You can try in changing the tongue bat as far as I remember they will be stiffer then you need.
www.carvers.it