Beginner - Looking for board advice

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Charlie2021
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beginner - Looking for board advice

Post by Charlie2021 » Wednesday 22 September 2021, 12:16

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice. I would consider myself a Beginner/ Intermediate snowboarder. I have been boarding for 20 years - however, that would only mean one week per season sometimes, other times a number of weekends, and some years, no snowboarding at all. 

I have nearly always used soft boots and a Burton bullet board that was about 20 years old. 

However, two years ago I made the jump to an alpine board and hard boots. I used to have dreams of becoming good enough to go to the snow park, learn tricks etc.

The reality was, I was becoming middle aged, not getting in enough time on the snow every year, and usually spending my time on groomed pistes. 

I was finding that using the Burton bullet on the piste was a killer - I was always fighting to slow down, wobbling on flat sections and generally not enjoying it on the piste (it probably was designed for fresh snow).

The change to an alpine board was fantastic. I have much more control, can do nice carves and rarely find myself catching an edge. I also feel safer on the piste than before and the board really seems to leave me less exhausted than before. 

So, finally to my questions. I picked up a second hand Rossignol "xlr" 163cm board two years ago. I have no idea if it is the right size for me, but I really enjoy it. I bought some new bindings and a pair of Deluxe Track 700 boots. 

I weigh about 86kg / 13.54 stone / 13 stone, 7.6 lbs / 194lbs. I am 5' 11 or 1,80m in height and I am 45 years old.

I will attach some photos here:

https://justpaste.it/992nu

Now, I imagine that this board is very old and that design has improved greatly. I would consider upgrading my board if you guys think there is something out there I should try?

I live in Barcelona, and occasionally some used boards pop for sale second hand. I would like advice on what I should keep an eye out for?

Would an F2 Speedster Equipe RS or a Silberpfeil be something I should try out?

I imagine that longer boards, will involve bigger turns and higher speed to get them to work. I enjoy some speed, but control and safety are paramount to me. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Hopefully my situation will be also helpful to other boarders who perhaps have my experience and are experimenting with used boards. 

Cheers!

Charlie.  :D :D

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Re: Beginner - Looking for board advice

Post by joemzl » Wednesday 22 September 2021, 13:29

Hi Charlie,
welcome to the forum. :hello:

Your story reminds me of my change to alpine boards.
Although, 30 years ago I used my own UPS (one of the first hardboots) on rented freeride boards.
One time I tried a Silberpfeil and from that on didn´t want to switch back.
I tried out many second hand boards, until I found the ultimate board after many years of learning.
But I had a target from day one: Extremecarving.

You didn´t tell us, what your target is. Carving with slow speed, Extremecarving, or...?
You live in Barcelona. Hmm, on which snow conditions do you usually ride?
Wide or narrow slopes? Red or blue ones?
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Charlie2021
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Charlie2021 » Wednesday 22 September 2021, 15:13

Hi joemzl

thanks for the swift reply and for the welcome.

What is my target - well I haven't managed extreme carving yet - perhaps it is the board I have, but I cannot get that deep into the turn.

I guess what I would like is smooth carving, controlled but with a decent speed. If I can improve, and get deeper into EC, that would be cool - but the impression I have is that this would take time.

I had a quick google just now, to see what I mean. Here is a video of someone carving with control, smoothly, but at a nice speed.... this would be carving and not EC right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxULKqmuFQA

Living on the outskirts of Barcelona, it is about a 2 hour drive to many resorts in the French and Catalan Pyrenees.

I would mostly go on red groomed pistes, but inevitable have to travel over blues too.

That mountain range can get decent snow, and some of the resorts in Andorra are really wide and open (such as Pas de la Casa).

Thanks again.

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Wednesday 22 September 2021, 18:43

Speaking about F2 choose the SL 163 equipe for alpine riding.

For extreme carving Swoard.

The F2 Carve RS are good bindings but they are quite soft.

Have you tried to go carving in La Molina?
www.carvers.it

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Thursday 23 September 2021, 13:00

Charlie2021 wrote:
Wednesday 22 September 2021, 15:13
.... this would be carving and not EC right?
Yes, it´s carving. But speed for EC is the same.

Hmm, 163cm is really on the short side. There a longer boards in your video. :wink:
Don´t be afraid to test longer boards. I´m sure, they wil satisfy you more.
So you could buy a second hand board in your area, or travel to Peyragudes
and test different lengths of a Swoard.
Advantage in the second possibility: you see, if there is a difference between older and modern boards
and feel the difference between various lengths. 8)
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Friday 24 September 2021, 17:40

Hi Charlie,

here is some advice:
Step 1: Find out what kind of style you prefer. Watch videos with different riding styles.
Step 2: Have a look at the board width of the people in the videos you like: narrow or wide?
Wide boards are better for EC style.
Narrow boards are better for quick turns.
Of course EC ist possible with any board. But it is easier with a SWOARD.
You don't need high speeds for EC.

The most important thing, however, is: Find some people who know how to EC, and ride with them. With the right technique, EC is not difficult at all. You can take the first steps with your old board. But you should get a spring system for your boots, so that you can learn the push-pull motion.

Cheers,
christian61
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS

Charlie2021
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Charlie2021 » Monday 27 September 2021, 12:36

Thanks for the tips everyone!