Old snowboad still has it

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

clthomp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Old snowboad still has it

Post by clthomp » Sunday 25 July 2021, 16:19

HI All, good to see so many carving people on this! I live in England now but grew up in West Coast Canada and have been riding alpine boards since my teens (now late 40's). Every year we take a long weekend to the alps and my very old Burton Factor Prime comes out and feels as good as it used to. Is there any concern about using an old board... I mean do they degrade internally at all? For the 2-3 days a year I dont want to purchase new kit, and besides still love carving with it.

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Old snowboad still has it

Post by jax » Monday 26 July 2021, 8:41

Hi
The Burton FP was a great board, but as in
everything the new boards runs far better.
Besides that the boards tends to loose strength.
The thing do you have to check are the bails of the binding.
Which one do you have?
www.carvers.it

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 26 July 2021, 16:32

I ride with my PJ 7 few days on winter time, and it works like it is meant to be working :bravo:

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Tuesday 27 July 2021, 12:13

Hi clthomp,
if you feel fine with your board, you should stay believing this for the next years.
Don´t ever try other boards.
Why? I did this mistake. And what happened? Bought several other boards, boots and bindings.
Instead of one week, I´m now more than two weeks in the snow (without family of course).
15 years ago I thought I was a good rider. But for the next ten years I knew I was a better beginner.
And if I count together my time as a moderator ...
No, no, it would have been better to not have found this site.

Although ... :D :D :D :D :D :D 8O 8) :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :wall: :bravo: :bravo: :pray2: :pray2: :pray2: :pray2:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Monday 9 August 2021, 11:41

It'a bit late for another comment, but:
I hope you recognized the irony in Joemzl's answer. :wink:
Some years ago I was in the same situation as you, Cithomp.
Then I discovered how much better the new boards are. Much better grip (better torsional stiffness), and easier to ride at the same time. My only regret is not having bought a SWOARD sooner. This board has enabled me to progress in a way I wouldn't have thought possible before.
However, if you ride only 2-3 days a year, you can of course keep using your FP. It will have lost some of its original tension, and its edge grip will be much weaker than that of modern boards, but as long as there is no visible delamination or creaking sounds when bending it, it should be ok. Keep a close look at the bindings, though.
Have fun! 8)
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS