Softboots - which stiff models are out there?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

meeee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Softboots - which stiff models are out there?

Post by meeee » Friday 26 April 2019, 17:24

Hi guys,

My old boots are finally worn out after this season, lot of heel lift developed, softened a lot, padding decreased and therefore grommets pressuring a lot. Been happy with them for the time being (older burton ruler) for the time being, now looking for a stiffer model. Would like to get an idea between seasons as models and sizes often sell out quickly once the first white gold drops.

I've already tried the famous three:

- Burton Driver X, could be an option, though not perfect and a bit questionable build quality upon inspection (no need to discuss, thx). Size, even mondopoint seems to have largened, even compared to my worn out boot, so tried a bit big one and might have to try another one just to be sure.
- Ride Insano Boa- Would love it to fit, though just not perfectly matching my anatomy (pointy knuckles, getting pressure from outer shell) and would love to avoid tinkering with DIY padding etc.
- Salomon Malamute - not for me at all (softer than expected, esp. front edge, most heel lift, over with that lacing since more than a decade)

What else is out there? Who else makes really stiff, but comfy boots?
- I'd like to try some nitro, though their portfolio is just overwhelming - which ones are really stiff?
- Heard, DEELUXE maxes stiff ones as well - which ones to try?
- What about K2? Always liked their boots

Any other stiff carving softboot that I missed?

Thanks a lot and enjoy the summer!

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Softboots - which stiff models are out there?

Post by Arnaud » Friday 26 April 2019, 18:04

You should have a look to the Nitro Select that are stiff. I tried them in a shop, and the liner seems great. https://www.nitrousa.com/mens-boots-col ... elect-tls/

Finally I bought a pair of Northwave Decade that were more comfortable for my feet. The liner is really good and the lacing system looks nice. Northwave has also a stiff model called Domain : http://northwavesnow.com/en/p/domain/?v=114672

hth
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

meeee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by meeee » Friday 26 April 2019, 18:35

Thanks for the heads up on the Northwaves! My first ones back in the days were Northwaves, loved them, they're just not around so much anymore. They're significantly cheaper than the usual suspects - how's build quality?
The grommets look rather fat - and the lever lacing system makes me a bit sceptical as well.
Might be completely wrong of course, just a 1st observation.
The liner looks great though.

Will have a look at the Nitro as well.

Anyone else got something in mind? Keep it coming!

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Friday 26 April 2019, 19:49

I read some good reviews about NW boots. They're well starred about quality and durability.
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

meeee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by meeee » Thursday 9 May 2019, 7:55

Tried the decade, doesn't fit with my foot/ankle where padding aligns.
Also felt much cheaper than other brands I've come across so far. Also lacing didn't quite convince me, inner as well as outer.

The nitro select was a positive surprise, many nice features, decent lacing, decent heel lock-in.
A bit softer than I hoped for though - even with the plastic add ins.
Also that's the component I didn't like. They start feeling a bit uncomfortable on top of my foot. While the outer can be removed, the inner is laced in.

Also ordered a tad too big and since it's end of the season, sizes are sold out. Might have to reconsider next season.

Any other candidates that are favourites within the community here?

Oliv5590
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oliv5590 » Saturday 29 June 2019, 16:35

Damn, I came here to recommend the Nitro ones since that's what I'm using, but it isn't your stuff either... Do you think the excessive softness could be solved if you took boots in your size, or is it a lost case?