Very heavy and tall rider.

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

diocletian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Very heavy and tall rider.

Post by diocletian » Saturday 2 March 2019, 20:47

Hello everyone, i am delighted to meet You all!

I just logged in so excuse me if this first post brakes any rules of conduct here :)
So on to my question.
I have done skiing since i was a kid, switched to snowboarding close to 12 years ago.
Although being tall (2m) and pretty heavy i aquired a resonable level of skill in snowboarding, pretty big jumps, butter tricks, freeride, grabs, solid carves on regular boards and so on.
But lately (through long years of weight traning) i got really, really heavy (132kg atm. not fat, mostly muscle), and decided that if I want to continue snoboarding big hops and stuff i out of the question.
So.. since gravity really accelerates me FAST i decided that carving will give me the rush and control I am looking for.
The problem is that all the equipment i use for regular snowboarding is usually, special, big guy stuff, stiff shoes, big board (lib tech skunk ape).
So after this lengthy beginning, my guestion is, where do i get started? Going stiff set or regular shoes at first?
Stiff bindings?
What about board length and width, are regular models going to fit me?
I would also very much appreciate budget options if You can :)
Thank You in advance for all Your help!

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Very heavy and tall rider.

Post by jax » Saturday 2 March 2019, 21:08

Ciao
I'm smaller than you but not too much.
196x120
Stiff boots for sure Deeluxe 425, 700, UPZ RC 12 or Mountain Slope .951 120 stiffness.
Bindings F2 race titanium or better PHIKO Highlander 6mm bails.
The board has to be stiff for your weight.
If you are looking for a Extreme Carving board, Swoard builds H and HH 175 but I like much 168H.
www.carvers.it

diocletian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by diocletian » Saturday 2 March 2019, 21:40

Thank You Jax i will totally look into them!
Good to know there are giants doing this :D

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Saturday 2 March 2019, 21:42

I'm not an Extreme Carver nor a giant
Seriously I don't EC just because of some problems at my back
www.carvers.it

TopOne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TopOne » Sunday 3 March 2019, 19:43

I am also a big snowboarder (200 cm / 100 kg) and some years ago I was wondering the same things. Based on my own experience, I recommend hard boots and ties from the beginning. I have Intec Titanium bindings and Deeluxe Track 325 boots. I've modified the boots to suit better the EC. The ultimate reason for modifying the boots was that they did not stretch enough and, in my opinion, I couldn't get down enough in the early stages of turnings. I have removed one buckle and the fireplace in the "tilt lock". Also I have cut away a corner piece from the shoe arm (pictures). I've tried loose snowboards for EC, and my experience is that a little slack board (25 kg less than recommended) is possible and easier to start training EC. I think you would manage with Swoard H 175
Attachments
Deeluxe_a.jpg
Deeluxe_b.jpg

lonbordin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lonbordin » Monday 11 March 2019, 13:31

I'm 194cm/111kg. I use UPZ RC11 with stock tongues BUT I do upgrade the stock white spring to the "racing" orange spring and of course upgraded liners.

I ride Hardboots in all conditions from powder to ice. My boards are all made by Bruce (Coiler.com) for my size. I ride F2 Titanium bindings on everything except my powder setup where I ride CarveRS..

Your boot size will also determine your board choice as you likely have larger feet and will need a much larger than stock width board. There's plenty of custom builders out there that can make you a board that fits (Kessler, Oxess, Coiler, Donek, etc.) The Swoard boards are pretty wide and are available in stiff models.

Good luck!
LIVE LIFE- Dave Wilcox
Questions-> lonbordin at hot mail dot com