which binding

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

which binding

Post by zsuri » Thursday 10 February 2005, 17:37

Hi!

I am looking for a new binding for my board that is 173cm tall, 18cm wide and the radius is 11m (handmade board similar to f2 Silberpfeil but optimized for my weight). It is perhaps not the best board for EC but I like it. I have used a plastic Raichle X-Bone but I would like to have a new one because this binding is to wide for my board - I have to set the bindings to 67/63 and I would prefer angles below 60. I will use these bindings on my f2 Roadster. As you can see I don't like the superstiff boots.

I have never had problems with my plastic bindings but to be honest I have never tried other ones. I wanted to buy an f2 Challenge Comp that is a bit stiffer than X-Bone but it was suggested in the shop that I should by a metal binding for this board because this kind of bindings fits to my board. On the other hand I heard that some people had problems to ride a board with metal binding after a plastic binding. It needs to much strength and concentration. I am an experienced rider but I am not a racer. And unfortunately I don't have too much experience with bindings.

I would like to have a binding that fits to my board and that is able to make EC but I don't want to have a setup that I can not enjoy. By the way I am not too heavy (72kg). I have the following possibilities: f2 Challenge Comp Intec, f2 Race Titanium InTec, Blax Race InTec (it seems to be plastic, I don't exactly know what kind of binding it is).

What do you think which bindings should I buy?
Pirate FreeCarve 173, Rossignol XLR 158, f2 Speedcross 161, Proflex InTec Titanium, DeeLuxe LeMans

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Zsuri

Post by István » Thursday 10 February 2005, 19:34

Hey,

I have a feeling that you're Hungarian..... Pirate..... hmmmm... Kucséber? Zsuri = Zsűri?

Well, once I had a board like that, actually that was my first alpine stick and it was quite OK.

As for the bindings, buying an other one will not help you with the angles. 67 63 is really high and inconvenient - I know it from my Silberpfeil.

As for the plastic / metal question, I know metal bindings that are worse than a good plastic binding, so this is not the key point, however, undoubtedly, the high quality bindings are made out of metal and not plastic. Out of the ones you have listed, the F2 race titanium must be a good choice, many riders here use that.

So, welcome to the difficult world of multiple choices :-) I bet you'll finally end up with some custom made high-end board and some expensive bindings.... :-)

Cheers,

István

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Yes and no ;)

Post by skywalker » Thursday 10 February 2005, 22:11

Hi Zsuri,

welcome to the extremecarving forum!

My humble opimion regarding your binding question: I saw all the guys with their expensive custom bindings and the not so perfect front and rear bails... and so I would strongly recommend the F2 Titanium (of course not the step in version). If you have an angle issue, the front bail of the F2 will help you, because it's as close to the boot as possible.

Best regards

Tom
free extreme carving

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Thursday 10 February 2005, 23:06

Yes Zsury,
The front bail of race titanium adapt extremely close to the front of your rear and front, mine has it, so you have less problem to touch the snow with em. :wink:

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

Bence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bence » Friday 11 February 2005, 0:42

Hello Zsuri,

Welcome to the EC forum, Hungarian Alpine Snowboarding rulez :)

My binding works quite well for me, but as the general opinion goes strongly against step-ins, i would not dare to recommend it:)).

I made the change from the Challenge Comp Intec to the Titanflex
last year, and did not have any bad experience except it's quite easy to lose the nice yellow plastic cover disks.
F2 Silberpfeil 172, Intec Titanflex, Head Stratus Pro

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zsuri » Friday 11 February 2005, 12:49

Thank you for all answers!

István, you are right, I am hungarian. I will write it in the location field.

Of course Pirate = Kucséber but zsuri = zsuri. He was a little dino in a cartoon too many years ago :(

Back to the business :D

I think my very high angles really depend on my binding because it is wide and unfortunately not symmetrical so the rear part of the binding groundplate is more wide than the front part. The front and the rear bails are far away from the side of the board but the groundplate of the binding doesn't allow to set lower angles. I think with a narrow, symmetrical binding I could set about 58-60/52-55 that is more better.

Metal or plastic: one said that metal bindins can cause problems only for beginners and for flexible boards. I am definitely no beginner. What I know that I enjoy my board I don't want to have a binding that makes my life more difficult. On the other hand it is possible too, that I could ride better with more stiff bindings. Am I crazy that almost all good riders use metal binding and I am not sure whether it could use it too?

I know I should try it before buying it but it is not so easy to get a metal binding only for a weekend...

I personally have only good experiences with the InTec-System (I have used it for 3 years) so I prefer it.
Pirate FreeCarve 173, Rossignol XLR 158, f2 Speedcross 161, Proflex InTec Titanium, DeeLuxe LeMans

rikytheripster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rikytheripster » Monday 21 February 2005, 15:41

Cateks or bombers for sure. cateks have complete cant adjustment where bombers is set by discs. Both very high quality, all metal, pick them up used at bomberonline classifieds/ebay or new from websites www.catek.com and www.bomberonline.com.
as for f2 titanium not sure how it compares.

fluke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fluke » Monday 21 February 2005, 16:14

Zsuri,

If you prefer step-ins and can't afford a pair of Bombers or Cateks, I'd recommend F2's Intec Titanium. I weigh 74 kg, used to ride the Intec Challenge Comp and switched to the Intec Titanium (and Titaniumflex) last year. No difficulties. Very reliable bindings and not too stiff. And the newer F2's come in two different base plate sizes: Medium (21.5 - 27.5) and Large (26.5 - 31.0). So if you're feet aren't big you can go for the smaller ones.

Admittedly, one issue with the Titanium is the height-adjustable front bail: the small wheel which is used to adjust its height tends to loosen itself. So you have to check its proper position every new day of riding.

Hope it helps.

fluke

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zsuri » Monday 21 February 2005, 17:32

Thank you for all answers.

fluke, it is very helpful that you could compare both type (metal+plastic, metal) of bindings however last weekend I bought a used Blax binding that had a very friendly prise. I hope that it will work as I expect - if not I will have no more fear to buy an all metal binding :-)

It was said that it is a former race model - nobody knew the exact name in the shop. It is quite a stiff binding compared to my other (X-Bone) binding. The disc is from metal, the base plate is a very stiff plastic. It is sure not as stiff as an all metal binding but I think it can be a good compromise in price/performance. It looks quite professional and first and foremost: the color of the binding fits to my board :D :D :D

I have a narrow board, I use 60/55 binding angles. What do you think about heel lift under the rear foot :?: Until now I used it but now I am thinking about whether it is really needed. Other thing is wether I need a dampening under the binding - OK, I will see it when will I test it.

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

the binding has been cracked

Post by zsuri » Tuesday 22 February 2005, 12:03

My story has no been finished yet :(

Yesterday I noticed that my new (used) binding was cracked :evil: I don't know whether it was originally cracked (I suppose not) or I cracked it when I screwed the binding on the board - but I think it doesn't matter, the baseplate is not strong enough. I hope I will get my money back...

Yesterday it came to my mind that I heard some years ago that there was a carbon product line from Blax that cracked/broke often. Perhaps it is from the same line :(

So, I decided to buy a metal binding and it will be most likely f2 Titanium Intec - because of the friendlier prise in comparison with Catek/Bomber. I hope there will be not a big difference to my former plastic binding in usability and if there will be any differences they will be positive.

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zsuri » Tuesday 22 February 2005, 13:51

:D Money is back, there was no problem at all in the shop :D

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Cateks for sale

Post by Hans » Tuesday 22 February 2005, 18:18

zsuri wrote::D Money is back, there was no problem at all in the shop :D
I have still some Cateks for sale if you are interested for a friendly price.
viewtopic.php?t=1397

Greets, Hans.

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

proflex binding

Post by zsuri » Thursday 3 March 2005, 13:20

Hi all,

yesterday I bought a Proflex Intec Titanium, about 2-3 years old. It seems to be very robust - I can imagine it can survive a nuclear war There are some parts from rubber below the metal groundplate. They seem to be a bit narrow for an effective shock absorption but I will test it - I hope in March.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Yes and no ;)

Post by fivat » Wednesday 9 March 2005, 19:13

skywalker wrote:My humble opimion regarding your binding question: I saw all the guys with their expensive custom bindings and the not so perfect front and rear bails... and so I would strongly recommend the F2 Titanium (of course not the step in version). If you have an angle issue, the front bail of the F2 will help you, because it's as close to the boot as possible.
I agree! I tested them recently and I really like these F2 Race Titanium. I will post a small review soon. Excellent prize / quality ratio.

Avoid the Intec (= step-in) for extremecarving: one needs lateral flexibility. Note that I close the standard bindings in 3 seconds (what is still much faster than closing straps on soft stuff! ;-)).

Patrice Fivat

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 10 March 2005, 13:26

Previously I used the F2 Race Titanium, now I use the TD2. To be honest, I have not noticed a big difference between the two. TD2s look good and the footbeds are short, but cannot be microadjusted around the center (longitudinal midpoint) of the board due to the hole system, so you can only adjust in 2cm intervals. One cm interval will cause a little asymmetric mounting. I do not know how much it matters, but, as a petimeter, I do not like it. Besides the bails stretch, so there is some adjustments until the bails are ready stretched.
As commented by others the front bails of the F2s close neatly to the boots. In addition the distance between the feet can be microadjusted to your prefered stance. One disadvantage is that the footbeds of the large bindings might be a little bit too close to the edge of the board, so if your bootsize permits, ask for the middle size. As Patrice notes, the price/quality ratio seems very good. I am looking forward to Patrice's review.
harald