Heel Turn Problem

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Heel Turn Problem

Post by Lele » Thursday 13 December 2018, 14:16

Wow! McEnroe serve is an awesome example!
Is it just my impression, or the natural Swoard tendency to close the turn (opposite to the race board - of course, being conceived to do Ec on steepy tracks 8) 8) allow to counterrotation to the end of the turn, as I told few posts before?(due to a timing reason, where technique has workin' in progress :? :?
Well @Fruno. You're right tellin' me to frozen body when it touch the "water"; but I feel such a lack of time or space to get on the edge and lay down without feelin' everytime the board slidin' so fast passin' my body and found me counterrotated toward the slope. So, weird question: could banana turns carve (board that has this kind of turn)would allow to gain time to complete/increase the rotation during the turn? My very problem is avoid the progressive counterrotation during the turn, with little adjustement on the edge.
Another question: I well manage backside lay down (without gettin' up) at the end of the slope, nera skilift area, on almost flat surface.
What's the difference beetween that and normal slope?

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Thursday 13 December 2018, 14:30

lele wrote:What's the difference beetween that and normal slope?
The steeper the slope is, the more important is the timing. You must start edge change and rotation earlier.
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lele » Friday 14 December 2018, 22:57

Hi guys.
I show you a little doubt comin' in my mind. :think: :think: .
From my first time on board, I always use to ride goofy. That seems to be my natural way.
All right. But sometimes (at home, in my lazy time), to get some impressions in what I gotta improve (backside for example), I get in position on an imaginary board, simulatin' bindings angles, ecc...tryin' to do a proper shoulder + hips heel rotation.
Well, more than often I feel like I'm losin' equilibrium and need to adjust my front foot, to avoid the mistake to fallin' on my back. Obviously, in this situation, I guess, proper turn rotation has gone away. (testin' this situation just by static shadow turn make me think that's could be the real problem I told you in my posts, and just imagine what limit could be on a real track :cry: :cry:)
So, I tried to simulate the turn in regular position, and, surprisingly, weight distribution seemed much more balanced, and, although that has not been my natural position, I didn't need to re-gain equilibrium during the turn, darin' even get more rotated.
What do you think about? :?: :?:

Wouter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Wouter » Sunday 16 December 2018, 17:47

Your John McEnroe turn is funny. It’s kind of like that to be honest. You can leave the tennis racket home though.

What is happening to me is that when I got the heel side turn under control, I forgot how to do a decent front side turn. Has that happened to others? It’s always easy to dive into a front-side turn but technically it shouldn’t be done like that. Now I’m working on that again.

Funny enough, the back-side turn is easier with my split tail board (despite that it’s 5 cm longer than my Swoard and despite the more aggressive stance). Most probably because I follow the theory of turning better. With the Swoard the front-side turn is easier as I think that my split tail board is too soft for aggressive diving at high speed. That’s why I need to get back to the theory here.

Keeps me busy :lol: , next summer also near the swimming pool.
Swoard 168M Pro2
Oxess 164 Titanium
Volkl 175 Skwal
F2 Respect

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lele » Monday 17 December 2018, 21:52

Seems to me or from minute 0.45 nobody of these carvers do push and pull technique to lay down, especially on heelside?

https://youtu.be/MRoZNUzaces

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 7:21

They do but it is combination of Velvet style and slope deepness

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lele » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 11:55

What' Velvet Style exactly? Which difference between that style and the EC traditional one? Also because (please correct me if I'm wrong) slope doesn't seem so steep and riders carve in absolute smoothness; so, I guess, it could be done on not so steep slope.

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 12:35

I heard that some of the Russians try to eliminate push-pull moves and purify EC even more, falling from one side to the other like a chopped tree and standing up again without visible effort.
That is possible, but quite demanding. Medium steep slopes and soft, forgiving snow is helpful, perfectly flat of course. You have to control your line and your timing perfectly, and do a lot of hidden movements in the feet and ankles.
As you can see in the video, a bit of the inclination may be sacrificed, and the turns are normally not as closely linked as with normal EC.

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lele » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 13:26

Ah ok. I think it could be a good exercize ti control weight and rotation durin' the entire turn, eventually reachin' the max inclination later but smoother. In fact, my doub about stance (goofy or regular - showed some posts before) came makin' some turns on heelside with straightened legs (also in static way). As I written, could my stance be wrong since I started to ride? It's weird but doin' heelturn in static way I feel my weight more balanced on regular. Rotatin' hips and shoulders, I fell such a pressure on the "ball of the big toe" on rear foot, like my back foot tried to follow hips rotation, anyway centered. Instead, in goofy stance, seems like, rotatin' on heel, body starts to lose centered weight, shiftin' the center of gravity up on the shoulders; in this way, I think heel lose pressure and body starts to lose equilibrium. If I weren't so shy I posted a video to make you understand so very weird situation. :huh: :huh:

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 13:46

Lele wrote:
Tuesday 18 December 2018, 13:26
If I weren't so shy I posted a video to make you understand so very weird situation. :huh: :huh:
You said the word. Don't be shy, we're all just old men with freaky hobbies. I have to admit I have some difficulties with understanding your explanations. Maybe there's something wrong with my brain, all this wobbling in my head can't be normal. Post a video, and all is good.

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 15:20

Hi Lele

I agree with Frunobulax about russian style, and also about your explanations. Without a small video it's almost impossible to help you :huh:
Do not waste too much time with settings. It's not the most important. It's all about technique, not settings !
I'm not sure that static training is a good idea because the real movement is dynamic. Yes, you loose equilibrium but it's compensated by the centrifugal force. Would you try to make a high inclinated curve on a motorbike without speed ? :wall: :wall: :wall:
Anyway, what is your usual stance, and also your height ?

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lele » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 15:29

You too are both right. I think too that technique is the most important thing. Just, my only video by now are on static way. Video size is around 500 kb and .mp4 but an error message appears: "invalid file extension".
:think: :think:
Ok, dynamic is better to understand mistakes, but what you'll see in goofy stance is exactly what happens during real carve (equilibrium and my sensations too)
Ah, I'm 1.83 with 48 cm stance and bindings 54', 48'. Swoard 168 H.

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 18:26

1.83 ? 48 seems a little bit too low. You should try to increase over 50.
(I'm 174 and use 49-50 cm)

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 18:33

Yep, very personal is stance width, but my wife @160 rides 47cm stance with flat on Deeluxe, which has not high ramp like NW or UPZ and me @180 on 54cm stance with small lift on rear heel with UPZ.

Lele
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lele » Tuesday 18 December 2018, 19:36

I've never chanched stance since my first ride :silly: :silly: . I feel a little be bound already now with this stance. What's the difference with a larger stance?
And, of course, how to upload videos from my mobile gallery? By now i can't. Thanks.