How do you stay in shape between seasons?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Eddie Risser
Rank 2
Rank 2

How do you stay in shape between seasons?

Post by Eddie Risser » Thursday 24 October 2002, 23:08

I desperately want to improve my carving and the one problem that stood out last year was by the time I felt comfortable with my technique, my legs were starting to burn. All summer long I have been doing exercises to gain strength in my leg that include lunges (no weights/large amounts), squats (weights/no weights) and I run about seven milies (I think about 10 kilometers) three to four times a week. Any suggestions or improvements?

Eddie

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

bike

Post by nils » Friday 25 October 2002, 9:06

not the one with the engines, but the one you turn the legs around an axis :)
i'm going to work by bicycle, and its a short trip ( 4km ) but the way back home as a hill so huge that lasts 2 km, that it kills the speed down to 12 km/h during the climb. Needless to say, i'm improving the average speed in the hill everyday, pushing like a maniac and my breath is better, and my legs are stronger, and i feel fit as hell :)

do what lance armstrong does: ride a bicycle ;)

Nils

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

fitness

Post by ablazespy » Friday 25 October 2002, 12:02

The point Nils is making is great! Riding a bike is one of the best things to train legs and durance. Legpress is one of the things I also do just do normal weights 3x times a week and once in 10 days very extreme weigths to gain musscles for more power. But one thing that you must not be forgotten when you focus on you're legs only, it wil not help that much. Focus on you belly muscles and chestmuscles too. it wil improve the way you ride and it protects your body more when you fall. :( 8O

O yeah, don't forget the rest also for the ladies :wink: :wink:

P.S. This comes most from my fitness instructor :twisted: and my experience :? :lol:

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Friday 25 October 2002, 12:36

For good performance on snowboard one has to train 3 things: strength, cardio-vascular system and flexibility. Good resource for such training-program I've found at Snowboard Workout Program by Ron McConnell. He got into snowboarding by creating training program for J. Burton after his injury.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

estonia?

Post by nils » Friday 25 October 2002, 14:11

you're really in estonia?
met a nice chap from Latvia the other day too.. seems the baltic connection is up ! :) ( he wasn't a carver thu..)

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: estonia?

Post by vkrouverk » Friday 25 October 2002, 14:46

nils wrote:you're really in estonia?
Yeah, yeah, I know that it is quite unbelievable to find out, that in Estonia some hard-boot snowboarders live: living in a country, where biggest slope has 80 meters of height difference should be nightmare for carver, not reality !!! Fortunately Finland is just over there and some quite decent carving slopes can be found in northern Finland: opened 10 hours per day, no crowd in December-mid-February, well groomed etc. With good flight schedule I can walk out of my appartament and after 5 hours be on slope....
nils wrote: met a nice chap from Latvia the other day too.. seems the baltic connection is up ! :) ( he wasn't a carver thu..)
I'm nice chap too and ain't carver either, I just prefer to go after-ski with hard-boots to avoid toe-squashing by skiers and I extremely enjoy that relief, which arrives when after 10 hours of torture I can remove my hard-boots :-)
But AFAIK Latvia is even worst place to live for snowboarder, not to mention carver...

Eddie Risser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Eddie Risser » Friday 25 October 2002, 20:35

Good resource for such training-program I've found at Snowboard Workout Program by Ron McConnell.
Thanks for the information, the only problem is that the website does not have all the information for training available and I could not tell if he has a book out. Do you know if his book is still available?
But one thing that you must not be forgotten when you focus on you're legs only, it wil not help that much.
I know :wink: I just was not sure if running was the right exercise because some people complain of trouble with their knees when they run. I try to take good care of my knees and maintain a well rounded routine but thanks for the tip! :D

Eddie

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 25 October 2002, 23:18

vkrouverk
Just leting you know that Alhovuori is now opened, like an hour from Helsinki ;) So not too far from Estonia for quick weekend trip.