hardboots for EC: another approach

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Mr_Orange
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: hardboots for EC: another approach

Post by Mr_Orange » Wednesday 30 January 2019, 3:42

rahan31, are you saying the backside springs are strong enough to really give any substantial progressive flex?

I'm not sure if anyone here also rides soft boots, but on my freestyle board, i have a particularly soft high-back that i set with the max forward lean. This pretty much gives you a nice progressive heelside.

It's this technine binding here: https://technine.com/products/pro-niner ... 7439892504

I think there's something in that gap in that technine highback too that makes flex even more progressive.

It'd be nice if i can replicate that feeling in a hardboot.

rahan31
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rahan31 » Wednesday 30 January 2019, 18:17

It's a bit difficult to explain.

On classic boots (UPZ, Head and Deeluxe)you have a mechanical rear stop on heel side that allows you to keep a good angle, vertical or a bit inclined to the toe side while backside turning. The heel side spring on these shells don't work on there whole range, with a soft heelside spring you will get rear stop quicker than with harder one. But you will get it anyway.

On Backland shells there is no rear stop and your heelside springs have to use their whole range before your backside angle is blocked. The risk is to get a bad inclination (above 90°) in backside. To compensate you have to adjust with a higher value of the toe side inclination.

Hoping it's clear :wink:
ECpro161M,F2,Raichle124+ACSS+Palau
SwellPanik Magistral175
Volkl Selecta163
SP Fastec,Burton DriverX

Mr_Orange
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mr_Orange » Wednesday 30 January 2019, 20:58

I'm trying to see if i understand this clearly. I think you're referring to the Backland walk mode that allows the cuff to go way past 90 in the heelside direction.

Not sure why this is such an obstacle though because i'd assume you can just build a rear stop into the spring system itself that prevents going past 90 (ideally even a little before that) which negates this extra range of motion you get from the walk mode. I'd assume that the spring systems posted on this this thread which have the heelside spring, do have something like this.

And ideally this would be adjustable like the locking mechanisms that allow you to adjust forward lean on soft boot highbacks. You can decide exactly where you want that heelside dead stop point to be.

Yes, in order to increase more of a progressive range on the heelside, you would have to create a higher value of toeside inclination like you mentioned. Which is just like increasing forward lean on a highback. It does change the feel of just standing and forces your knees to stay bent more, but with a softer highback you can pretty much still stand up straight and not feel too much abrubt pressure from the highback like you would with say a carbon highback.

rahan31
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rahan31 » Thursday 31 January 2019, 11:27

I think you get it :wink:
SwellPanik Magistral175
Volkl Selecta163
SP Fastec,Burton DriverX

Mr_Orange
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mr_Orange » Thursday 31 January 2019, 20:29

tryin to see if i can't build one up myself. Otherwise i'll hit one of you guys up.

Matti
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Matti » Thursday 31 January 2019, 20:46

pokkis wrote:One for Paula, light with titan screw
This is simple system. You don't need special tools or materials.
Pro 2
Complete

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 31 January 2019, 20:51

I might add spring to back side during long summer nights. If it does not add too much weight :bravo:
And upgrade mine to similar one too.

Mr_Orange
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mr_Orange » Monday 11 March 2019, 19:01

Does anyone know what tool to use to remove the cuff from the inside? The outside is just a simple torx bit. Here's the inside nut:
cuff inner nut.jpg
cuff inner nut.jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 35764 times
I thought a socket wrench was going to work for the inside, but the inner nut is really flat/shallow. The filleted edge of my socket bit doesn't seem to really grab onto it. I don't really want to put in a lot of force either and risk stripping it. Here's my socket bit:
20190309_184545.jpg
20190309_184545.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 35764 times
There's got to be something for this.

I guess i can just drill it out too like i've done with other boots that just use rivets, but it seems with the outer torx bit they designed it with the intention of easy removal.

rahan31
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rahan31 » Monday 11 March 2019, 22:18

Never done such a thing, sorry.
But why remove the frictionless pivot? It's the best sytem i've ever seen :think:
SwellPanik Magistral175
Volkl Selecta163
SP Fastec,Burton DriverX

Matti
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Matti » Monday 11 March 2019, 22:40

Just make the socet bit sharper.
Take 1mm material of. Use lathe or even angle grinder.
Pro 2
Complete

Mr_Orange
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mr_Orange » Tuesday 12 March 2019, 19:13

Grinding down the socket seems like a good idea.

I'm removing the cuff bolts to try and add an additional cuff/strap to the ankle area for even better heel hold.

Matti
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Matti » Tuesday 12 March 2019, 19:44

Maybe you should try another liner or even boots.
Pro 2
Complete

Mr_Orange
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mr_Orange » Thursday 14 March 2019, 0:17

With my La sportiva Sideral that i've used for the last 3 years, i just used only the stock mid cuff and it felt totally fine. I've actually tried the cuff pivot buckle on it the Sideral and actually didn't really like it. I remember it created some odd pressure points.

So i'm really just curious to see how it feels on this particular Atomic Backland i just got because i know some people actually prefer the buckle more in that spot cuff hinge spot. I'm also about to start some boot punching so i want to make sure everything else feels perfect before i get into that.

I've tried a Full tilt ski boot before and that mid cuff at the hinge feels really good.

I had a Garmont AT boot for a season before my Sideral and that boot actually need both the top, mid, and front buckle ALL locked down to feel secure. That particular boot also had extremely soft plastic.

So i think it's possible that different boots, depending on their flex or shape, can have different ideal buckle setups.

Turnfarmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turnfarmer » Tuesday 13 August 2019, 16:46

rahan31 wrote:
Thursday 24 January 2019, 15:02
For splitboarding with my system I find removable pins:

Can you please tell me where to obtain a pin like this?
Or did you have these custom made?
Thanks.

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Thursday 15 August 2019, 20:06

Use an open end wrench.
www.carvers.it