ECS 05 > THANK YOU to all participants!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Monday 14 February 2005, 18:21

drzone wrote:Nils,
You're right about EC being a discipline, P&J are the Shaolin masters...

PS: Someone mentionned Peter Vu, he would be David Carradine!!!! :P
According to this:
http://www.swoard.com/gallery/albums/SES04/img016.jpg Peter Vu is also Shaolin monk :lol:
Udo wrote:What is the point of ECS then?

There is a number of carving expression sessions all over the world. Brownian Motion in Bajkalsk, Siberia last week. SES at Aspen, Colorado this week. There's no lack of hardbooters' gatherings.
ECS point? How about: Swoard team is marketing their boards? :D
But seriously, I don't think that there is too much carving sessions, especially in Europe (AFAIK only pureboarding was organizing bigger events in Europe before ECS and then there were some local gatherings). Aspen is probably best place for carving session, but it's too far away and expensive for week-end event, ECES seems to be abandoned. I hear about this Brownian Motion first time (BTW, Udo, are you from Russia?) and Bajkalsk (is it near Baikal lake?) is also quite far for most of visitors on this site.
For most of participants ECS is just good place to spend some nice time, try out Swoard boards and learn from J & P. Yes, there ain't many riders, who can do EC as J&P, but if you look at their profile, then they have boarded ca. 20 years, this is much more than most of other participants (and they ride probably more than others during one season as well). And experience is required for such discipline.
Converting potential energy to kinetic..

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

EC

Post by István » Monday 14 February 2005, 18:34

Udo,

Frankly, now I'am starting to loose your point :-)

Sorry if my response was a bit aggressive, but I just do not understand the point you are trying to make. Besides the questions you raised, is there any statement you are making or will be making with regards to EC?

Kindest,

István

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Monday 14 February 2005, 21:11

BTW, in French forum is quite interesting discussion under title
[STYLE] "Extreme" et "Carving" , it also discusses the meaning of liff^H^H^H^H EC session.
Babelfish can be used, if French classes where skipped during school :D .
Converting potential energy to kinetic..

Udo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: EC

Post by Udo » Tuesday 15 February 2005, 1:54

...is there any statement you are making or will be making with regards to EC?
No, it was not my intention.

Many thanks for your replies. The video from Lake Tahoe looks convincing. Peter Vu's avatar on BoL and 95% of pictures in the ECS-05 galleries do not.

Hope to see you next year.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

EC

Post by István » Tuesday 15 February 2005, 9:33

We cool, C U next year.

Cheers,

István

sml
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sml » Tuesday 15 February 2005, 17:11

Hello all,
vkrouverk wrote:BTW, in French forum is quite interesting discussion under title
[STYLE] "Extreme" et "Carving" , it also discusses the meaning of liff^H^H^H^H EC session.
I started the thread you're mentionning, and I find Udo's post interesting, although I disagree on the point (i think) he is trying to make.

In Zinal, I saw very impressive carving performances, very nice laid turns, but not so many (if not any) smooth and fast linked laid turns. There is still a significant step (if not a gap) between P&J's level and the rest of the crowd.

But who cares ?

ECS'05 was not a massive "Stoked" live performance by 80 riders. It was a great meeting of carving lovers from all over Europe, a place where I had a conversation in spanish with a spanish woman and an Estonian guy, a place where I met an impressive German Xtasy team, a place where I learned and shared a lot with many people, a place where I spent an after noon with a gorgeous blond-haired and 'purecarving' swiss teen, a place where I learned a lot from all, by watching, talking or riding with.

So yes I agree with Udo, the cast for the next EC Opus will remain P&J because they're still the only two with such a level of performance and purity in EC, but many a improving, many are getting closer from the 'originators', and everyone could witness that in Zinal.

So long live EC Sessions, all over the world, and who cares if we don't all lay and link our turns yet ?

My 2 cents,

sml.
EC3D 175M/TD2 - Stratos Pro (ACSS) /==/ Dual 175/Diode - Malamute

sml
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sml » Tuesday 15 February 2005, 17:18

One last thing :

Pokkis : do you have a video of our Slovenian friend contributor riding a Goltes (sp?) board ? (I am sorry pal I don't remeber your name).

IMHO, it was among the smoothest and nicest EC Style in Zinal...

sml.
EC3D 175M/TD2 - Stratos Pro (ACSS) /==/ Dual 175/Diode - Malamute

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 15 February 2005, 18:22

sml, no idea cause i'm still lacking time to look all stuff filmed during last few weeks. But if you point me photo of rider you refer then i might be able answer later this week :wink:

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Reaching the goal?!

Post by fivat » Wednesday 16 February 2005, 14:30

I noticed in this second ECS that the average EC level of the carvers has improved a lot from the previous event :!: Some guys were laying down (and linking) the turns much better than last year! Congratulations! This motivates us to organize new editions in the future! 8)

We wish to see more and more extreme carvers, making crazy turns in the resorts as ambassadors of this discipline! :silly: Our goal, which we have always claimed since 2001, is to defend and resurrect alpine snowboarding :rules:

When we have created Extremecarving.com (the idea of producing our own brand Swoard came later), we wanted to share, explain and teach our technique (more than 10 years of development... with no books, no videos, nothing). We give all our technical tips and "secrets", even the location of our "secret" spots, hehe ;-) If our Web site and events can help people to improve, we are reaching our goal. Note that using a Swoard can help a lot too ;-) :twisted:

Of course there is a small marketing aspect of the ECS. But our Swoard company allows us to maintain this Web site, organize the events and satisfy our expensive passion (but not to earn our living 8O we have other full time jobs).

Udo:
Here is, by example, an old thread about Rob Crobar (rcrobar) with a small video showing fluid EC turns...
(BTW could you please correct your e-mail address? It is not valid, thanks)
viewtopic.php?t=753

Patrice Fivat

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Wednesday 16 February 2005, 16:01

sml wrote:Pokkis : do you have a video of our Slovenian friend contributor riding a Goltes (sp?) board ? (I am sorry pal I don't remeber your name).

IMHO, it was among the smoothest and nicest EC Style in Zinal...
Hi sml!

I guess you are referring to me and I'm really flattered :oops: , but I really think that there were many many very good riders (you have already mentioned Xtasy team for example) who rode just as well if not better.

However, what I wanted to add is also this: P&J ride super smooth and fluid, :pray2: but I think that videos posted on EC.com are made from a lenghty footage and probably shot in perfect conditions. That probably also applies to photos, which seem very professional! If a picture is taken a split of a second too soon, it could look as if the person making an EC turn is not fully laid, is not in perfect position thus can't do EC quite as well. That might however not be the case, as the picture was taken too early/too soon. I guess if there had been a person, who had taken 100 shots of the same rider (which in my opinion could have been anyone out of 75% of participants, which can do EC turns), there would most definitely be at least 10 pics that would look convincing.

Same goes with the video: if someone recorded 2 hours of material of the same participant, you would probably get at least 5 minutes of quality material.

Again - P&J are indeed masters and I guess the quantity of quality material of 2hr recording would well exceed 5 minutes.

We'll see the final outcome when all the pics and videos are revealed - can hardly wait!!!

Bye,

Jakob
Element - water.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Wednesday 16 February 2005, 16:07

Jakob,

Fully agree with your statement. This is what I also wrote above: 'It always looks much more flawless, easy and liquid on videos with music background. Relality is noisy, painful, faster, etc.'

Of course this is not to amortize the style and discipline of J&P.

All the best,

István

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Wednesday 16 February 2005, 22:11

Here is a raw unedited version of myself after 2 days of coaching by Peter Vu (only have about 2 minutes of film, so there is the short version).

http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/John%20Ca ... rkwood.WMV

I am no expert for sure but would definitively would welcome constructive comments, especially from the masters and Udo in particular (negative comments if constructive are very welcome also).

Thanks
Carve Diem

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

congrats

Post by nils » Wednesday 16 February 2005, 22:17

very smooth!
you are indeed EC'ing!
i guess a little more steepness in the slope would help you lay even more, especially the frontside! But great job!

I can see the Vu's teaching in your style( Peter you should open a freecarving school in Cal)

Nils

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 16 February 2005, 22:23

In only 2 days ??
Yes, Peter Vu is a great coach :pray2:

Arnaud
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Thursday 17 February 2005, 4:55

Thanks for your comments.
OK, I did know how to carve somewhat before, but made great progress on heelside. It felt like I've got my yellow belt in 2 days... :rules:
Here the video of half way through day 1 on powder.
http://home.primus.ca/~johnvu/John%20le ... rkwood.wmv

Yes more steepness (it's already a black diamond run in Tahoe darn it!!) or more speed would help, however, it is rather hard to carve when your knees are shaking :oops:
Carve Diem