New models of hard boots and tests for extremecarving

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Vitaly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New models of hard boots and tests for extremecarving

Post by Vitaly » Tuesday 2 January 2018, 15:29

There were pictures of 951 dismantled boots that I was asked to remove... :chinese:

Tomba
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tomba » Wednesday 17 January 2018, 12:13

Any news regarding these boots? Wahat is recommended from swoard team?
Soft shell, hard shell, or staying on upz?

Thankx!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Wednesday 17 January 2018, 12:21

Still working on it! (tests throughout the season)... If you are happy with the UPZ, stay with them they are also great boots!

N.

sabant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabant » Thursday 18 January 2018, 19:12

In Gastein I was wondering how many World Cup riders have switched to the 951. I have also spoken with one of them and there is a good reputation for this boot. Even if it is a kind of follow-up model he told me that he does not remembering that anytime so many rider have switched their boots. For me (and probably a few other EC riders) this first models are to stiff but in my opinion it is one very important beginning for rethinking and further models (also think that the other 2 (bigger manuf.) would not be happy to lose market share and reputation)
Thanks to MS

jrk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jrk » Sunday 20 January 2019, 17:06

Been keeping up with this as much as I can from over here in the US. If there are any new updates/feedback on how testing is going, would very much like to hear. I've almost purchased a few times, but just don't want to get into something that is too stiff for my riding, which is mostly carving, but carving on varied terrain...usually happier in softer boots for this.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Tuesday 22 January 2019, 22:25

The Mountain Slope boots (out of the box) are definitely very stiff. Since the beginning I said this to Hansruedi who I met twice and rode with. I also rode with Roger (original conceiver of Northwave boots), but he seems no more being involved in development.
I own 3 pairs myself (2 World Cup and 1 with "softer" plastic). For 1,5 season I played with many parameters and modifications (springs, spring system, tongues, type of plastic, injected liners or not, etc.). I also own 2 pairs of UPZ: RC11 and new RC12 (playing also with many parameters). Swoard team is making tests too, so we are getting progressively a better picture of what is working properly for EC and for various riders (with different tastes).
Our detailed study will be presented during this winter, in less busy time. Clear arguments and facts must be given, after tests in all snow conditions and all types of slopes. We take our time because people trust us.
I have always been a big fan of the .900 which I promoted since 2002 on www.extremecarving.com what probably contributed to make the Northwave boots a legend. At the moment, with the .951 unfortunately I can't get on the snow all EC performances which I had with the .900. For racing, it's different with different needs (stiff boots, stiff bindings, plate, height, weight, ...). However I heard that women are asking for something softer. I'm not surprised: the .951 were catastrophic for my girl-friend which is only 45 kg.
Something which is very positive is that UPZ has been pushed by MS to develop new things: the RC11 was a real improvement thanks to the new cuff. What about the RC12?
To be followed.

Patrice Fivat

jrk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jrk » Tuesday 22 January 2019, 23:25

Well that was a truly fantastic reply! I sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide that information.

But you can’t end with a cliffhanger like that!!! I was considering UPZ as a temporary backup, but I assumed the new 8 was the boot to go with as I thought the 12 would be to stiff...similar I assume to the MS. Is this not the case fivat? Should the 12 be looked at over the 8 for reasons I’m not familiar with? If you have time to explain, once again, sincerely appreciate the education!

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Tuesday 22 January 2019, 23:46

I tried the UPZ RC12 out of the box (thus with original springs) and red tongue (softest one): they were clearly softer than MS out of the box (even MS mounted with blue - soft - springs). But some of my mates found the original UPZ RC12 too stiff for their taste and preferred to install another spring system. I agree about this for EC riding in bumps or in fog (bad visibility). Stiff boots are bad for damping when extremecarving: ankle movement is important. The way how all the boot is conceived and working in flexion is important.
Arnaud is happy with his modifications on UPZ. The Flo liner (standard) of RC12 is nicely improved in comparison to the RC11. But well, it depends so much on feet.
The MS liners coming with the boots are catastrophic: all people around me had pains. So you have to add some money to get other liners (or 200-300€ for injected liners). UPZ liners don't fit the MS boots whose shell is narrower.

Patrice Fivat

hagen111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hagen111 » Monday 28 January 2019, 14:01

I am a bit lost on the boot story, can someone advise/recommend what direction would be a good one:

I own:
Northtwave .350 - unmodified
Head Stratos Pro - unmodified

I can buy:
UPZ RC 11
UPZ RC 12
Mountain Slope
Atomic Backland

I there any ranking/hierarchy in terms of which boot works best for EC. Are the UPZ miles better than e.g. Head Stratos? Or are they preferred simply because you can still buy them new?

Or stick to the 'oldies' as they are 'good enough' until MS or UPZ come with something newer and better?

Your experience and advise matters to me.

Swoard team
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Swoard team » Wednesday 23 October 2019, 17:22

Hello everybody,

In the first message of this thread we explained that we were working since 2013 on the project of making a new hardboot model, first with a famous Italian company. Then, from 2016 we had exchanges with other boots makers.

As future of alpine snowboarding is related to future of hardboots, one of our goals has always been trying to bring softboots riders to the other side of the sport (remember that most of us are doing both, soft and hard). Such snowboarders are not attracted by stiff gear. That's why we see now a trend for carving... but with softboots! Actually the Swoard team is using customized hardboots which are not stiff at all, but still giving power and precision. We need good ankles flex for "push-pull" and to absorb the bumps, for example. The problem is that such hardboots do not really exist, "ready to use", and not at a reasonable price. 8O

UPZ found the good timing to release RC11 and RC12, which have nice improvements in comparison to previous models. Some Swoard team riders, like Arnaud and Petr, were already using UPZ. But the most difficult thing was to convince Patrice to test intensively this brand. He wanted to get same feeling and same performances as with his modified Northwave .900, a boot which he contributed to make popular on www.extremecarving.com. And guess what? It worked! :D

So finally, after two intense years of tests on snow, comparisons, customizations and developments, Swoard has finalized a constructive partnership with UPZ. This has led to the EC12 which we present in this announcement. :bravo:

Originally in this thread we wanted to give the pros and the cons of the brands we tested. As the EC12 is going to be commercialized, now this is no more possible ethically. We don't want to opposite models of boots which have different programs. As we wrote:
Swoard team wrote:
Thursday 12 October 2017, 18:50
The more brands the better, so everyone can find the best for his feet shape, his ride technique, and his budget.
To our eyes, the boots makers are all heroes: we have experienced how difficult it is to make hardboots, with up to 200 pieces per pair and many sizes! It's a lot for work for them and some financial risks in such a small market. All hardboots brands deserve our respect. Special thanks to all of them! :clap3:

This thread is now locked as the goal is reached: to make a real Extreme Carving boot, ready to use! 8)

The Swoard team