Edge Tuning an EC Board

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Edge Tuning an EC Board

Post by rcrobar » Friday 18 October 2002, 20:14

Hi Jacques

Since so much time is spent on the sidewall of your EC boards, I’ve been wondering what works best with regards to edge tuning.

When waxing and polishing the sidewall, how do you apply the wax. Is the side wall hot waxed or do you use some of the “instant” rub on products??

When sharpening the edges, to 90 degrees, do you sharpen the entire edge? Or is a portion of the edge “de-tuned.” (Made dull by taking the edge off.)

Are there any other base or edge tuning tips that are specific to the EC style.

Thanks
Rob

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 19 October 2002, 9:22

Hi Rob,
When waxing and polishing the sidewall, how do you apply the wax. Is the side wall hot waxed or do you use some of the “instant” rub on products??
I hot wax the sidewalls in the same way as the sole, with an iron.
When sharpening the edges, to 90 degrees, do you sharpen the entire edge? Or is a portion of the edge “de-tuned.” (Made dull by taking the edge off.)
I sharpen the entire edge (nose edge included) like a razor blade.
But this depends on the board.
Our EC boards, thanks to their precise torsion adjustment device, have an optimized edge grip all along the contact length, sothat we can use the entire edge we have been paying for!

In my opinion, a board that needs to be detuned (usualy at the tips) is not properly optimized.
The same is true for the nose. Its function is to lead the edge on the right path. A detuned nose edge can't assume this with precision.

Jacques

StanChung
Rank 2
Rank 2

I like that response Jacques

Post by StanChung » Sunday 20 October 2002, 1:58

As usual Jacques, you impress me with your common sense responses. I realize that unlike other snowboard techniques, the EC method depends largely on the edges of the board.

Most boards are not made for this, so most riders don't wax and sharpen the edges of the their board, unless they ride in icy conditions.

A board that is largely ridden on its edges requires tortional stability. I think that's why the EC board is eagerly awaited!

Your comments shows how different the EC technique is and why specialized equipment may be required. Thanks.

Great question, Rob Crobar.
Low Rider for Life
www.stanchung.com

A carver from Holland
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A carver from Holland » Monday 21 October 2002, 7:50

Hi Jaques & Stan,

I might have a good tip for you two. I use Artic Hardener (kinda wax) on the sole of my board as close to the edges as possible (10 cm). It looks like smalls white balls you have to wax on with an iron. The cool thing about this stuff is that you don't have to take it of with a scraper, it stays on for months! and it as smooth as baby buns. When carving and EC-ing, most of the time you are riding on the edges, thus the wax at these parts have to be replaced often. When using Artic Hardener (it's from Booster) you don't have to wax that much!

Just a little tip! :)

Arjan

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 21 October 2002, 16:06

Hi Arjan,

Thank you for the tip, but I can't find it on the web :(

Jacques

A carver from Holland
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A carver from Holland » Monday 21 October 2002, 16:10

Jacques,

I will look it up for you tonight. I still got it at home and will try to find a website where you can read about it and maybe even order it. I have used this stuff for over a year now and i really swear by it! Every carver should use this. After a day of carving my edges (base) turn white, which means it's time to wax again. The last time i put it on was around 6 months ago. I have boarded for over 30-60 hours and it's still on there.

I'll keep you posted!

Arjan

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ablazespy » Monday 21 October 2002, 22:25

Try

www.boostersnowgear.com

I know the stuf have not used it but gonna!! :P :P :P

yyzcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Arctic Hardener

Post by yyzcanuck » Tuesday 22 October 2002, 2:16

This is the stuff I use...
http://www.snowtraders.com/prod/Red/Arctic+Hardener/
I haven't found a place in Canada that sells it online, but sometimes you can find it in local shops.

A carver from Holland
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A carver from Holland » Tuesday 22 October 2002, 7:19

That's the stuff. I bought it in a different bottle, but that's it!

eltrut
Rank 1
Rank 1

bevel

Post by eltrut » Tuesday 5 November 2002, 2:21

What kind of beveling on the base and the side do you all recommend? I saw Rob's first post and it was 90 degrees on the side bevel. Many boards come with a side and base bevel. I currently have mine at 1 degree and 1 degree.

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 5 November 2002, 8:30

I noticed that when I sand the my base with the machine, there is an automatic 1° bevel on the base side.
This bevel helps to keep the board tolerent when it is flat on ice.

So I would say that 1° base and side walls is a good solution (the overall edge is still 90°).

Jacques