Skwal/Monocarver

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

carverbob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Skwal/Monocarver

Post by carverbob » Tuesday 15 October 2002, 20:04

I recently purchased a Thias Skwal Freecarve 180, and am self-teaching, as I have not found anyone else in Southern Idaho (USA) using a monocarver, or teaching monocarving technique. I am looking for tips that can help me learn. I also am looking for a used Thias Skwal Freeride 178 or Volkl Monocarver (170-180cm) board with the non-step-in bindings.
Thanks!
CB
Carver Bob
Idaho, USA

A carver from Holland
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A carver from Holland » Wednesday 16 October 2002, 7:38

Hi Carver Bob,

I own a Skwal 173 Carve from Thias, and can give you some tips.

You might have heard from the store that sold you the Skwal that the bindings stance cannot be over 4 cm (space between bindings) in order to have good control. Well, this is bull. I put my front binding as close to the nose as possible and my back binding as close to the tail as possible. This position gives me more control and my knees aren't that much together. Furthermore, i angled the back binding all the way out (5 degrees) and my front also (other side out) at about 2.5 degrees.

The trick with riding a Skwal is leaning forward. Do not lean backwards (to the tail) when making a turn. You will loose control. With the front turn, try to push you back knee into the centre of the turn. With a backside turn push your front knee into the centre of the turn.

I did not use ski poles when i first tried the Skwal, since my binding angles on my alpine board where very extreme, so i was used to pointing my bellybuton to the nose of the board.

In the French section of this forum there is a discussion about the EC-technique and using it for Skwal. According to J&P this technique should also work for Skwal. I have not tried it yet on my Skwal, but can imagine it will work.

I hope these tips will help you master the Skwal!

Arjan

pete
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pete » Thursday 24 October 2002, 1:16

Hi skwalers!
Bob:
self teaching is almost the only way to learn for everyone, since that's really really hard (even in europe) to ride with another skwaler! :cry:
If you're looking for anotehr board, I'd say definitely the 178... lots of ppl who tried the monocarver said that ot's too soft. You can contact Thias (i think you know thier website: http://www.thias.com) they can sell you used skwals... ost pf the time that's a really good deal, and i think even with teh shipping cost. I was almost buying a 178, used few times for 380 euros w/ bindings, but i found a best deal (never used+new bindings= 250euros)

arjan: I disagree!
I was able to lean backward... that's not the best way to turn, but could be used (also for taking speed)
I agree for the poles... it should be awful to ride with poles...

regards, pete
Skwalzone.org: French/English Speaking Skwal Community.

Skwaleur, Stations proches Chambéry.