Swoard ECS 2016 - 13th session: Feedback, pictures, etc.

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Film of the 13th ExtremeCarving Session

Post by fivat » Monday 15 February 2016, 20:27

Thank you Marc for your nice post and the tribute. :bravo:

I also appreciate the time you took to write this. Now with the social networks like Facebook, it seems that people are becoming lazy: they just "Like" this or this, but do not take time anymore to write (more than 3 words or a sentence)... It's also related to the use of smartphones. 8O

So again, I appreciate the time you took on your computer to write in the Forum, the only place where we can have real discussions about various topics. Your suggestion about asking questions in Facebook and then to follow up on the Forum is good. This is something which can be applied to all Forums worldwide to fight the drop of good contents over Internet. Of course there are now tons of good pictures and videos, but we also need good text contents.

Patrice Fivat

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Swoard ECS 2016 - 13th session: Feedback, pictures, etc.

Post by fivat » Monday 15 February 2016, 20:54

Swoard team wrote:Here is the film! 8)

:arrow: link to YouTube
I love the moment at 3:06. ;-)

Mustafa touched me. I felt the hit, but continued my turns. :lol:
The bad news it that the screen of Mustafa's smartphone did break in his pocket! 8O

Patrice Fivat

Swoard team
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Swoard team » Wednesday 17 February 2016, 21:52

:? Well, seeing the small amount of comments about the movie (if we don't count the "Likes" on Facebook and YouTube), we can ask the question:

Will it be worth making a movie of the next event ? ;-)

Nowadays people seem to prefer selfies and GoPro filming...

The Swoard team

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Thursday 18 February 2016, 19:59

Swoard team wrote:Will it worth making a movie of next event ? ;-)
Definitely: YES!!!!!!!
Even though I couldn't be there myself, I enjoyed the film very much!
@Mustafa: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

And look at how many people have watched the film on youtube!
As an afterthought: Perhaps a link to the most recent film on the starting page of the forum would help...

Keep up the good work! :bravo:
Christian61
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS

nextcarve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nextcarve » Thursday 18 February 2016, 20:57

I enjoyed watching the new movie (and all before) already several times and it would be a pity if you would stop making it.

The event was also great and my friends and I loved it to ride with all of you.
We had everything: Perfect EC conditions (fr, sa) Rest (so) and a great powder day (mo).
What could one expect more?

Thank you swoard team and Zinal!!!
MOON & CARVE: The Raceboard Event, Elsigen-Metsch, CH.
http://www.moon-and-carve.com

tali

Post by tali » Friday 19 February 2016, 0:05

Swoard team wrote::? Well, seeing the small amount of comments about the movie (if we don't count the "Likes" on Facebook and YouTube), we can ask the question:

Will it be worth making a movie of the next event ? ;-)

Nowadays people seem to prefer selfies and GoPro filming...

The Swoard team
Yes, of course! People are just speechless with amazement!

tali

Post by tali » Friday 19 February 2016, 0:06

And some are veeeery envious! :wink:

nextcarve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nextcarve » Friday 19 February 2016, 12:21

MOON & CARVE: The Raceboard Event, Elsigen-Metsch, CH.
http://www.moon-and-carve.com

Swoard team
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Swoard team » Saturday 20 February 2016, 16:18

Thank you for your comments and compliments, guys (and gals)! :D

In some of the preceding events with "Petit Pierre" as cameraman, we also placed the rushes on a server so everyone could download and watch himself... It's good to see the mistakes and progress.
Last year the snow was too fresh and soft, thus it was not nice watching people diving in the snow or falling. But if there is some interest, in the next sessions we could put the rushes again on a server.

Note that some riders went carving the "Barthélémy", while the cameraman was on the reserved slope "Le Col".
So remember to come to the proper slope in the morning start. Usually after 1 hour on "Le Col", the cameraman moves to "Barthélémy" for additional filming. Same with the photographers.

To cut the movie of the event, made for a wide public (not only the participants), Mustafa did choose the best sequences of course. The idea is to promote our sport and to show to a large public (the people who don't know what alpine snowboarding is) that we are a growing community, having a lot of fun in a new discipline (extremecarving), simply riding together with no competition.
Special thanks to the sponsor and ECS founder (Swoard), which makes this possible. ;-)
christian61 wrote:As an afterthought: Perhaps a link to the most recent film on the starting page of the forum would help...
Yes, you are right. :bravo: We will make a topic of the most recent and best movies.
Of course the movies can be watched on YouTube chanel, but the more links, the better.

The Swoard team

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Sunday 21 February 2016, 11:43

Swoard team wrote: But if there is some interest, in the next sessions we could put the rushes again on a server.
Here is much interest. :hello:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Wednesday 24 February 2016, 17:42

Well, if each participant is filmed for 30 seconds, with 115 riders we get rushes for about 60 minutes.
With 230 participants (what is really too much in my opinion), this is 2 hours.
Very boring watching. And for sure this is frustrating for the people who were filmed with a bad angle, not for long, or if they were simply not filmed for any reason (riding the wrong slope).

One should not expect too much from a small movie. There will always be disappointed persons, it's normal and unavoidable. :?
For real pedagogical filming, snow camps (like the ones organized by Petr, Sébastien or Abrax: info here) are required. They use cameras and watch the rushes with the students.

For progressing during the ECS, the best is to take lessons.
Besides the events, you also can ask your wife (your girl-friend or your mistress) to film you. Now it's so easy with any smartphone. :D

Patrice Fivat

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 24 February 2016, 18:04

Or all three, then you get more film :bravo:

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Movies

Post by rcrobar » Wednesday 24 February 2016, 18:27

Hard to believe almost 15 years of Extremecarving, ECS and Swoard is fast approaching!

It is also hard for me to believe that almost 15 years ago I started visiting this web site, a web site that has influenced a lot of snowboarders all over the world! I remember a very early e-mail exchange where Patrice and Jacques asked me to help them come up with a name for a company they were thinking of starting. At the time they explained that one of the main reasons they decided to start the EC web site was because if they didn't, much of the knowledge they had acquired and were developing together would be gone when they were gone; the idea of sharing knowledge and a love of snowboarding compelled them into their Internet adventure.

Movies like the ones the Swoard Team makes each year at ECS, in addition to the original EC movies that started this web site, are a big part of why the Extremecarving web site has lasted so long and continues to move forward. Having the EC forums fractured by so many different languages is a challenge for sure, but the universal language of the movies brings a lot of people together. Don't confuse a lack of responses on this thread with a lack of passion or desire to gain more skill and knowledge! The skill of the riders ECing, in pockets all over the world, is truly amazing. I hope that these skilled riders and the EC instructors continue to make movies, teach others and share their knowledge through the forum. Without movies as a base for the conversation, I can't see how all of this could have ever happened or continue to move forward.

Thank you for everyone's time and effort, particularly with the movies. :clap:

Cheers
Rob

get!em
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Movies

Post by get!em » Monday 7 March 2016, 10:34

rcrobar wrote:Hard to believe almost 15 years of Extremecarving, ECS and Swoard is fast approaching!
[...]
Don't confuse a lack of responses on this thread with a lack of passion or desire to gain more skill and knowledge!
[...]
Cheers
Rob
Indeed, lack of responses is very normal on forums. I read this thread, even I did not visit the ECS2016, very interesting. :D
Normal behaviour on forums:
Visits: <30% of total forummembers and a equal amount of persons not being a member (anonymous guests).
Respones: <5% of forum members, mostly 10-15% of membervisits to a topic.

I think, you can view forum-stats for this :clap2:
Before I wanted to buy a ExtremeCarver, I visited this board some 8 years from now. I just recently started and viewed a lot of video and photo.

To be on topic about the rushes:
What I have seen on an other snowboard forum: there was a section with "Review my technique on video" . Every one could upload a video (youtube) and in the topic everyone can do comments on the riders technique (what is going good, what can be better, etc..) . Very helpful, learning for everyone, not only the rider self. So for the rushes of ECS 2016, a same type of topic would be nice! I will learn from it :bravo:
Swoarc Dual 2 175 / softboot
Swoard EC 4gen 175 / race titanium

tali

Re: Movies

Post by tali » Tuesday 8 March 2016, 1:58

get!em wrote: What I have seen on an other snowboard forum: there was a section with "Review my technique on video" . Every one could upload a video (youtube) and in the topic everyone can do comments on the riders technique (what is going good, what can be better, etc..) . Very helpful, learning for everyone, not only the rider self. So for the rushes of ECS 2016, a same type of topic would be nice! I will learn from it :bravo:
Hi! You don't need a special section to upload your video and get advice. Everybody is welcome to start a thread, upload their video and start taking notes. :)