New Carver

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

juanhuar
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Carver

Post by juanhuar » Monday 17 November 2014, 18:58

Hi to all!
I'm Juan from Spain, I´m 24 years old and I just bought my first board! I am a regular skiier and have decided to get into the world of carving, but as a complete rookie I would really apreciate if you could give some beginners advice.

I measure 175cm
weight 68kg
level-complete beginner

I bought a SWOARD 168M and DEELUXE 700 boots.

So any advice!??
thanks

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Re: New Carver

Post by joemzl » Monday 17 November 2014, 19:44

Buenos dias Juan,
welcome to the forum. :hello:

Advice, hmm :think: - for a beginner I might have choosen a 168S.
So first advice: eat a lot of hamburgers, drink Cola and beer to get stronger and heavier. :D
This is the easiest way to get more power on the edge.

Next: you are a complete beginner? Completely new to snowboarding, or new to carving?

Nevertheless: what are your plans for mid of January? Time to participate in Peyragudes?
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11755
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

juanhuar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by juanhuar » Monday 17 November 2014, 20:05

Hi Joem,
Thanks for the welcome!!
Yes I knew when I bought it that it might be a little too stiff for me.. but it was the only one I found used, in Spain there is virtually no market for carving. Anyways, I just started a weight winning program at the gym, so I should hopefully be 5kg heavier by january :D

I usually do skii but I have done snowboard several times, and while my style is far from perfect I felt comfortable going down any hill.

This christmas holidays I will be spending several days near a small ski resort, it only has two green slopes, but I guess that for a beginner like me it is perfect!

I would love to go to Peyragudes!! but thisw year I spent all my money in buying the equipment :cry: who knows maybe next year!

tali

Post by tali » Monday 17 November 2014, 21:00

Hi Juan!
Do not worry, 168M should be good for your weight of 68 kg. :bravo:
New Carver wrote: I bought a SWOARD 168M and DEELUXE 700 boots.
So any advice!??
Well, connect your boots to your board (what kind of bindings have you got?), find Sébastien, and go with him to Peyragudes.
A good idea is to attend one of the SDT sessions. The one in Peyragudes will be 17-18 January 2015.

juanhuar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by juanhuar » Tuesday 18 November 2014, 19:37

Hi! I bought a Proflex freecarve bindings

I think it will be better if I keep this thread as a sort of diary where I can tell you my first impressions on the board, that way you can help me better! :D
I really wish I had the money to go to the SDT sessions, but for now I'm on my own..

So excited to try out carving!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 18 November 2014, 22:36

Hello new carver :-) Join us in Livigno :-) It's probably a bit too early to participate in our course but you could benefit from being couched from time to time and in this case it would be really cheap... I can propose some free couching lets say up to 30 mins daily :-) Interested?
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!