degree of snowboard edges

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

degree of snowboard edges

Post by willy07 » Sunday 16 February 2014, 9:02

hey all as most know i am fairly new to this carving and finally got to take my 157 F2 speedster SL out and in one of my previous posting, it road like it was on rails and turned incredible sharp and very responsive. last nite i went with a buddy and this time i took my prior gs 170 out using the same Fins bindings. surprisingly the prior was not as responsive as the F2, it felt like a slight delay when i initiate a turn but was much faster as i predicted. at first i though maybe the prior gs just needs the edges sharpened so i got one of those edge sharpeners. then reading on how to sharpen on youtube videos they talked about different edge angles like 90 degrees and 88 degrees i think. just visually looking and trying to compare both the F2 and prior boards i couldn't tell the difference in edge angles. obviously each angle is for better turning radius's but is it for certain situations and board lengths like longer boards using a different angle? because of the difference i have not attempted to sharpen the edges yet till i can understand the differences and why. not sure if this would make a difference but my front binding was set at about 52 degrees and the rear was at about 45 degrees. i only managed one run last nite on the prior gs as 3/4s of the way down during a toe side turn the toe part of the rear binding decided to come apart and i crashed hard and screwed up my ankle as both feet went in different directions. i read this https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/mat.html but i am still not sure.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Re: degree of snowboard edges

Post by nils » Monday 17 February 2014, 11:14

Willy
Its pretty simple: If you are willing to get the best carves in hard snows, its better to have a sharper edge, aka around 88°..If you are riding in normal conditions, 90° is fine, but since its better to have a 1° base angle, 89° will be needed on the side to get 90°.
Edge sharpening should be the same on the whole length of the board.
Read the faq on tooltonic.ch website, as well as different sites...tuning edges is essential, not so difficult and if you do it often its not time consuming to keep the efficiency.

Nils

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by willy07 » Monday 17 February 2014, 23:08

right on cool thanks

zeg72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zeg72 » Sunday 16 November 2014, 11:12

Hy Nils,
does your post apply also for SWOARD ExtremeCarver Gen3?
Paolo

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Monday 17 November 2014, 16:57

hello

It applies to anything that has edges on the snow :)

Basically I sharpen at :
90°: - kids gear, powder boards ( swallowtails etc)
89°= all the rest ( actually its a 88° using the double angle roto finish technique, saving lots of edge life and keeping things sharp)

If I could, all the bases would be a -1°, the problem is that it takes many hours to do a base at -1° by hand, and by machine it is never well done...this is why i do -1° only on my Extremecarvers. ( meaning in real, the tool cuts at 87° and the rotofinish second pass is at 88° > total 89°)..

Nils