first day first time race board

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

first day first time race board

Post by willy07 » Saturday 28 December 2013, 5:44

hello all today i finally got the chance to take out my F2 speedster SL 157 for the first time ever. get to the top of the lift and had a hard time getting into the bindings only to have my buddy point out that the FINS carbon fiber racing bindings had a front and a back, didn't know this and had to swap them around at the top of the hill. this was my first time with a race board and i must say i looked worst then Bambi on ice. i found it incredibly hard to adjust to the extremely quick turn response from the board. it turned like it was on rails and kept on falling body first down hill. half way down only to realize when i swapped the bindings around to their proper locations, i forgot about the degree and canting of the bindings so i am thinking this had something to do with the nose kept wanting to turn sharply and wanting to dig in. now i am going to move the bindings back maybe one notch and see if this helps with the weight transfer. one thing i also noticed was my front left foot was comfortable all day long and the back right foot especially the ankle was getting really sore, definitely need to fine tune the binding degree where i am comfortable. this first trip showed me an interesting glimpse into the racing and carving world was definitely an eye opener and i really have a very long road ahead of me.

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Re: first day first time race board

Post by joemzl » Saturday 28 December 2013, 11:42

Yes, something like Panamericana. :mrgreen:

Or join ECS - it´s like Ocean Drive. 8) 8)
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by willy07 » Saturday 28 December 2013, 21:20

ya it would have been just a tiny bit smoother if i had the equipment setup properly. i am trying to make it to the Nakiska Expression Session where i live, sorta like a Canadian version of the ECS. worst case senario i will be a spectator and take pics and video instead of looking like bambi on ice again till i get better at it. lol

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by manuchill » Sunday 29 December 2013, 17:06

Heya

Please do go to the session and have a look at the technique page, https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/set.html which has helped me a lot when i started

The session is a perfect place to continue riding and please don't be just a spectator, ride ride ride :)
Many of the guys listed in this forum did just the same thing, myself including and just went to such a session (for me it was the ECS in Zinal)
and from there on with the help of many riders on the piste, my technique started to advance quite fast.
This is the perfect platform to fine-tune on the technique since these guys are watching you from start to end, and can point you just in the right direction on the position, rotation, etc
Ride as much as you can, try try try

If most of the time you ride by yourself, make a recording once in a while and post it on e.g. youtube and ask for reviews here... many people are willing to view it and help you in the right direction
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by willy07 » Monday 30 December 2013, 1:21

yeah i definitely want to go and make as many runs as i can and get use to the new boards but was looking at the first day with the race board and noticed i spent a lot of my time just trying to stand up and acquire my balance on such a narrow board. i kept thinking the actual carving turns would be the hard thing but turns out the very basics was where i was struggling with. my buddies were trying to give me advise but they were all self taught as am i, so i was trying to distinguish what was proper and what is a bad habit. right now i am trying to sort out my balance in the terms of getting use to the narrower board, body positioning to the new board opposed to my old regular snowboard, quick turning response, balance point of my body during the turns like body is too far back or forward during turn. i have been reading the tech section and when i finally go to the hill and try it my mind seems to go blank and forget what to do. lol the frustrating thing was it was on a weekend and the hill was extremely packed with other people so it was hard to try anything. might try on a weekday with lesser crowds. i definitely hope to chat with others soon cause i have tons of questions at this event. thanks for the advise