Technical advices, please

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Re: Technical advices, please

Post by nils » Friday 10 January 2014, 9:49

Swayne... if you can afford it: get an injected liner from Sidas. It will fill in all the cavities in the shell and get you really comfy!

Nils

corviuscorvax
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by corviuscorvax » Monday 13 January 2014, 19:55

eagerly awaiting the video analysis here - I feel like my heelsides/backsides look somewhat similar to these and I always like to see the experts chiming in! I can't seem to get my head down to my right arm (goofy) on backside. I feel like I'm still kind of sitting up in the turns.

Swayne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Swayne » Monday 13 January 2014, 21:44

Yeah, the curious thing to me is that when doing push/pull without trying to lay down, the backside feels better to me than the frontside. When trying laydowns it`s the opposite.
One progress concerning my backside is that I learned to keep my rear arm to my body/leg, although I don`t do it in the video (but as I mentioned I wasn`t ready for this run and it was the first try on that day).

One more thing concerning injuries/health-problems:
What really disturbs, distracts and sometimes limits me when trying frontside laydowns is that when I go down and "raise" my left=rear arm, sometimes my shoulder locks/blocks and can`t be raised further. The problem is this happens too fast to react and stop the movement, so when my body lays down further and my arm raises further by that movement, it just moves on and it cracks in my shoulder... I don`t have to mention that this bloody hurts, have I!? This happened 3 times during this week of boarding and every time it hurts more. It costs months to fully recover. I think it`s the supraspinatus tendon.

Does anybody know about this problem in this context and moreover, does anybody have tipps tips to prevent from this injury?

corviuscorvax
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by corviuscorvax » Tuesday 14 January 2014, 18:06

I agree that backside is easier and feels more "locked in" when I'm not trying to lay down. I realized something on the lift ride last time I was on the mountain, but didn't get a chance to try it since I was on my way out: when I'm doing the "push" phase and extending my legs, on toeside I feel almost weightless, but on backside I feel massive G forces and struggle to stand up. Additionally, on backside, I notice my turns are much tighter and faster. So i put this together and realize that I'm pushing/extending too late. I think I should feel almost weightless on my extension on heelside (is this right? can anyone answer this?). So I think maybe part of getting out of the "sitting up" position might be to try the push/extension much much earlier. I'm thinking that might force me to get my head down, right arm up and out, and then just focus on rotation - putting my chest on the snow (the most rotation being at the bottom of the turn, about 2/3 of the way done the turn)

I notice watching the slow mo videos that most EC riders are usually fully extended by the time the board is pointed down the fall line. My timing must be too late on the extension.

Petr

Post by Petr » Tuesday 14 January 2014, 18:40

Swayne, just two thoughts:

1) You do not need to laydown every time (like in your videos, when there is new snow, it can get dangerous)
2) You do not need to fully straighten/raise your hands - you should always feel comfortable with what you are doing.

Sometimes the conditions are great for laydowns that it feels like laying down onto a soft bed with your chest completely sliding on the ground (sometimes slides more than a chest :lol: ) , sometimes there are so many obstacles on the piste that you simply cannot do that ;)

Swayne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Swayne » Tuesday 14 January 2014, 19:28

@corvius: Almost every point you mentioned matches my own observations regarding the differences frontside/backside.

@petr:
1.) Yeah, right. The reason was that the other videos I shot during my holidays didn`t work so I wanted to have at least 1 video of laydowns to analyse.
2.) Ok but the problem is that I can`t (safely) get to the right arm position then. Take the ECS 2014-picture at the top of the forum as an example: the right/rear arm lays above the head, slightly taken forward. That`s the movement where my shoulder sometimes locks and then cracks - especially if that happens quickly because of losing the edge e.g. :cry: