Virus boots first impression

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Monday 22 November 2004, 21:22

Thank you, it was some work on the milling machine

as far as I know, RAB means Raichle Acceleration Box

Simon

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

@ simon

Post by roman » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 9:22

hey!
the next time you are in our shop, you could tell that you're in the ec- forum. so discussions can get more interessting. don't you think? :wink:
by the way: untill this moment, we found out that ca 2 out of 10 riders feel the same pain on the shin like you did when you steped in the new boot. anyway, i hope you had the chance to get the right size raichle for you. :D
ride on!

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 21:48

yeah, your absolutely right, in the hope for a new boot I just forgot to tell you, sorry.

meanwhile my Indy is a little bit to large, but it still works and the virus isn't an alternative. I hope there will be a virus redesign with a higher shell!

Greetz

Simon

Nate W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nate W » Tuesday 21 December 2004, 5:22

I bought a set of UPZ boots for this season, just put the Intec heels on them last night, and will be getting moldable liners for them next week (the only problem with the stock liners is that they are not moldable). I have not taken them for a ride yet, but will report back when I do. My impression is mixed so far...

The short sole seems like a great thing. It should make it possible for us all to run the same angles on narrower boards, thus giving better leverage.

The velco strap seems questionable to me, I doubt it will stay in place over the tongue as shown in the pictures. It seems to want to ride up, over the tongue, maybe even over the liner, if there's any tension on it.

The front buckle seems near useless. There is only one notch that is usable... if you go looser, the buckle just flaps; if you go tighter, the shell flexes unnaturally under the base of the buckle. The shell of the boot extends almost as far forward as the buckle itself, so there's no way for the shell to expand or contract with the buckle settings - it pretty much stays the way it was molded. I don't think this will be a significant problem for me, since the shells seems pretty well matched to my foot shape. But it seems they would have a more adustable boot if the tongue extended further forward, so the separation between the shell halves could be extended forward as well. Then you could really use that front buckle to compress the boot around the toe area - or the shell could expand to accomodate wider feet.

As a couple other people noted, the cuff is not very tall. Taller would probably be better (perhaps that is a matter of taste, but I would also prefer taller). It is only slightly shorter than my Raichle 324s though.

It seems to me that aside from the 'Achilles' mechanism, the main factor in the flex of the boot is the tongue. It may be possible to soften the boot significantly by cutting slots into the tongue. I don't see a way to make cuts without letting water into the boot, though. I wonder if the old RSV tongues are softer and would fit. The boot does seem rather stuff but I'm not worried yet, it doesn't seem too bad, and I haven't tried reducing the spring tensions yet.

Overall the construction seems quite solid, I am looking forward to trying it out. I'll write again when I have some real information to report, not just carpet testing. :)

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

@ nate

Post by roman » Tuesday 21 December 2004, 8:15

with wich board are you gona ride the new boot?

ride on!

roman

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Tuesday 21 December 2004, 10:14

I have a pair of Coilers All-Mountain boards, both 174 long, one with 21cm waist and 13m sidecut, one with 17cm waist and 11.5 sidecut. The wider one I've had for a couple years, the skinny one is new, I just recieved it a couple weeks ago and have yet to ride it.

Also should soon have a similar board with a 19cm waist and 13m sidecut from a guy in my area who just started selling custom boards. I think it got laminated last weekend, have been meaning to ask about that.

The newer ones are all narrower than what Patrice, Jacques, Nils et al recommend, but I like higher angles. The 17cm board is basically an experiement, designed more for moguls than extreme carving, but naturally I gotta try everything with it. :)

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roman » Tuesday 21 December 2004, 11:09

sounds great to me. looks like you gonna have some fun this winter!

ride on!

Nicolas1
Rank 3
Rank 3

UPZ shoes

Post by Nicolas1 » Tuesday 21 December 2004, 19:13

Hello,

I am new in this website

Do you know where I can buy UPZ shoes in Switzerland. If possible near Bern of in Valais. What is the price of such shoes ?

Thank for your answer

Nicolas