Reinforcing Gloves - Clothing for EC

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Reinforcing Gloves - Clothing for EC

Post by rcrobar » Friday 15 June 2012, 17:37

Reinforcing Gloves for EC:

I am in the process of getting another pair of gloves ready for ECing.

I have searched the French and English forum for any ideas.

I speak only English and have been using an online translator to do my best to gather more information, for this reason I am hoping to get a bit of help from the multilingual EC forum member as I am not sure how much key information was lost in translation.

From what I have gathered the wetsuit repair material Polyglut is very good, but it is harder to find in smaller towns and cities, comes only in black and can be expensive.

I have also found a bit of information about the adhesive E-6000. Reviews in the internet are quite positive as it is very flexible, strong, adheres to fabric, is washer and dryer safe, is inexpensive and can be found at places like Walmart.

I also found word of a two part rubber compound, which comes in a box, that the Russian riders are using. I found it quite difficult to gather information on the Russian forum.

Also, has anyone been able to locate Sicalatex in North America (Canada) or know what the equivalent product is in Canada?

I am hoping to hear from riders who have used any or all of the above materials, what worked, what did not, what did you like and dislike, where you found the product being sold, etc.

Thank you in advance for any information.
Cheers
Rob

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Reinforcing Gloves - Clothing for EC

Post by Whitey » Monday 18 June 2012, 12:21

Rob,

this is also very good stuff: http://www.bison.net/static/products/as ... 0466_3.pdf
The name gives you an impression about rubber, but actually it is polyurethane based plastics. It is very slippery, flexible and tough material.

http://www.ojankaivajat.org/forum/downl ... &mode=view

:chinese:

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Thanks

Post by rcrobar » Monday 18 June 2012, 21:16

Hi Whitey

Thank you for your reply, this information is really appreciated; I had not heard of this product!

I think I am going to try the E-6000 cheap pair of gloves to see if the product lives up to it's claim of being washer-dryer safe, etc., as it is relatively inexpensive and easy for me to get.

I had a feeling this may be a tough thread to get many replies, because of the many languages and countries that make up our EC forum members.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Cheers
Rob

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Wednesday 20 June 2012, 17:46

Is Sikaflex 252 (car body glue)available in Canada? If so, I can give you more informations.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Thursday 21 June 2012, 12:22

I am very much convinced of my own solution to the problem:
I use wristguards for inline skaters, bought two sizes larger than my own hand size, then fix it to the glove with the glove's wrist straps (works esp. well with some level gloves, e.g. halfpipe or superpipe. ). So there is another positive effect - wrist protection. Of course you have to get rid of the built-in wrist protectors first.
Those plastic inline skater protection parts are nearly undestructible. And they glide over the snow better than a sikaflexed glove.

Negative: the finger tips are not protected. I use sika 252 for that.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Saturday 23 June 2012, 12:33

Pitty we/I didn't here a thing from Rey's Gloves anymore.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8664&p=93698&hilit=guard#p93698

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Monday 25 June 2012, 23:55

I haven't been able to locate Sika in Canada, but I am still trying. I have also already tried wearing wrist braces, but I did not construct the gloves with the brace as you have done.

I have a good friend who has been an auto body repairman for many years, he has offered SEVERAL suggestions with regards to auto body products that he uses which may work for ECing.

Looks like I will be experimenting and posting back here in the future.

Thank you again for all your replies. Sorry for my slow reply, I have just returned from a road trip.

Cheers
Rob

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Tuesday 26 June 2012, 17:03

I have sewed an snowboard sole on the palm of my gloves, glide superb, protect them and there is no need of any type of adhesive never take off......
Ride hard;100% fun

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Tuesday 26 June 2012, 18:28

Hi, Sito, interesting, do you have a picture of your homemade glidesnowboard glove?

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 26 June 2012, 18:36

I have pair of famous and good "Ray" gloves and 2 sets od done with that Bison Liquid Rubber mentioned above.
All works as great and all of them have survived last winter. I had one pair done with Sika but that was much poor than Bison.
Bison is guite economical and you can quite easily make nice looking pair of them. And it is very easy to get, Dutch product if i'm not wrong.
10 times better product that Sika for this purpose. I used it also to protect gloves of jacket and works there too perfectly.
I try to dig out pair of gloves done with it and used second part of this winter, and shoot picture how they look now.

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Tuesday 26 June 2012, 20:15

Hi Hans!
I will make a pic of my gloves and I will post here.....
Ride hard;100% fun

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Leather vs P-Tex on Gloves

Post by rcrobar » Friday 29 June 2012, 17:56

Several years ago Patrice showed me the palm of his gloves while riding up a chair lift, he had sewn on thin pieces of leather. Our brief conversation lead to how Jacques had sewn on a strip of P-tex to his gloves, in one of the earlier EC videos you can see a strip of yellow on the heel/palm of his glove.

The part that I found interesting here is how Jacques liked the slippery P-tex on his glove while Patrice preferred the slightly more grippy feel of leather when it hits the snow.

For the past several years I have used a product called Shoe Goo, see the link below, but have not been completely happy with it. As the Goo ages it becomes a bit brittle, cracks where the hand and fingers want to bend, etc. My thought is that the Shoe Goo feels more like leather when dragging on the snow.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... Goo+II.jsp

Thank you again to all of you who responded, it is interesting to hear your ideas and findings.
Please keep the pictures coming.

Rob

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Friday 29 June 2012, 21:09

I have used Shoe Goo also. Not for me anymore. The stuff was of my gloves within 4 days (cracked).

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 29 June 2012, 21:30

I tested also ShooGoo, but it is better than Sika but not even close to Bison stuff.
And Bison does not cost even as much.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Monday 2 July 2012, 13:54

Thanks Pokkis for the tip. Seems that Bison is much easier to apply. Worth a try. And is easier to get your hands on the product.