newbie hardbooter,new set up, mountain experience

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

newbie hardbooter,new set up, mountain experience

Post by keepTheSport » Saturday 7 April 2012, 13:31

Okay, i have been in scotland's fridge 3 times with hardboots n carving board. I found i could think about what i was doing while sliding down slope. I felt tiny progessions were being made on each visit.

Snow suddenly appeared in scotland last week :D so i went to cairngorm ski centre with same set up. Visibility bit foggy, flat light. Slope not pisted more lumps, bumps n clumps, snow soft. Hey im used to that anyway in scotland :)

My experience was a nightmare going up poma 8O going down slope i was grateful to stay upright and found i couldnt think about what i was doing, as i was worrying about terrain surprises :roll: One example i tried to carve toe edge, the nose went deep into the snow, i suddenly stopped and fell with my back knee pointing opposite way to foot! I basically injured my knee but carried on for rest of time anyway but not trying to get on much edge.

However, i think this has been a good experience and believe it or not i had a great day up there. If i had been on my other board doing duck on soft boots i would have got on massively better in these conditions and would have gone on a harder run buy hey ho. So in future i shall have both boards with me.

It's gonna' take a while to get old technique to die. So the fridge is ideal to keep practising on hard boots. I really don't mind hard work but i need to be bit more savvy when on mountain :D

As for my knee, i've been limping while walking. How embarrassing :oops: on the upside knee is healing quickly but can't risk any activities today :( it is sod's law (as snow will be quickly disappearing here) that this is my first injury since taking up snowboarding that has put me out of action, as i wanted to be back up mountain today giving it another go just to relive the poma nightmare-whaaahaahaahaaaa :badgrin:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!