which binding

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

titanium binding

Post by zsuri » Thursday 10 March 2005, 16:48

Patrice,

I am looking for your review too - although I bought it (a former model from ProFlex) meanwhile. I am especially wondering what do you think about the dampening of the binding - is it OK or one needs to have a dampening plate under the binding? Another point that I am thinking about is whether the binding lets the board flex freely - although I think f2 would not recommend it for Speedster/Silberpfeil if it was not the case. Unfortunately I had no possibility to try it until now.
Pirate FreeCarve 173, Rossignol XLR 158, f2 Speedcross 161, Proflex InTec Titanium, DeeLuxe LeMans

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: titanium binding

Post by fivat » Thursday 10 March 2005, 19:01

I'm going to post my comments in French first. Then I will traduce in English...

Dampening: good one! Better than HEAD Stealth DNA and Phiokka PH1.

Board flex under the binding: not that good, it's the weakest point; but I felt it's unpleasant mainly on icy snow.

Patrice Fivat

mrtko
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mrtko » Friday 11 November 2005, 21:45

I see always discussion about Step-in or Not Step-In.

What do you think about Proflex Titanflex Step-In.
The idea is that the Rumpers under this binding give you back the needed flexibility, which you loose with the Step-in System.

So using Step-Ins with Titanflex Rumbers for having an comparable flexiblity.
Are there any experiances!

Thanks
mrtko
Swoard 2D 175 H - 019
F2 Speedster RS 172
Proflex Step-In, Suzuka

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Saturday 12 November 2005, 16:05

The bumpers give some flexibility, but in all directions. you only need the flex sideways. I didn't rode this binding, but i had ones an old flexy step in binding on my swoard an the flex front/back was very disturbing. Now I ride the F2 titanium with Intec heels on the boot (because of some other boards).

An other point against the titanflex is the non adjustable front bail and the long screws to mount on the board.

Simon

mrtko
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mrtko » Saturday 12 November 2005, 21:38

So i will also have the Intec heels on my boots because of my old speedster where i have a step-in on it.

Is it possible to ride and normal binding (no step-in) with the intec heels.
Are there no negative impacts?

Martin
Swoard 2D 175 H - 019
F2 Speedster RS 172
Proflex Step-In, Suzuka

schatten
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by schatten » Saturday 12 November 2005, 22:27

mrtko wrote:Is it possible to ride and normal binding (no step-in) with the intec heels.
Are there no negative impacts?
Yes, its possible, at least wit F2 Race Titanium and Snowpro Race.
The sidewards flex is reduced a little because the Intec heels are much harder than the normal heels.
Signature closed due to revision!

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zsuri » Monday 14 November 2005, 10:00

Hi mrtko,

yes, it is possible to ride a normal binding with the InTec heel. I rode 3 years long SnowPro Base with the InTec heels. I didn't saw any negativ impact apart from a little fray on the binding that was in contact with the InTec pins. But it depends on the geometry of the binding too. In my case it depends on about 2mm. If the heel part of the binding was 2mm higher it wouldn't work, I couldn't close the rear bail. I don't know if all normal bindings have the same geometry regarding the interface to the boot. For example I tried it with the Burton Race Automat and I couldn't close the bail. But it is not a normal binding although it can be used with all normal boots.

I haven't tried the Titanflex (actually I couldn't try my new Titanium becuase I had an injury last year) but I think it can work only with higher binding angles. If you have a low binding angle it is too flexy if you want to load the edges. But it is only my opinion without any experience with this binding.
Pirate FreeCarve 173, Rossignol XLR 158, f2 Speedcross 161, Proflex InTec Titanium, DeeLuxe LeMans

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Monday 14 November 2005, 10:53

F2 Race Titanium works fine with a Deeluxe Indy boot with intec heels. The pins don't have any contact to the binding. I ride this setup and like it on the swoard. On other boards I prefere the stiffer intec titanium.

Simon

MarkN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkN » Tuesday 15 November 2005, 20:44

What about SnowPro bindings? They have regular bail type as well as the FAST step-in.

I just got a set of SnowPro Race Ltd bail type and wonder whether they will be any good for EC. I already have F2 Race Titaniums (non-intec)
EC Dreamer

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

snowpro

Post by nils » Tuesday 15 November 2005, 23:10

mark, i use the snowpro race also sometimes: pretty nice> we also use them for demo since they are so fast to set up and ride!
Non step in!

Nils

zsuri
Rank 2
Rank 2

FAST system

Post by zsuri » Friday 6 January 2006, 14:19

Hi MarkN,

be careful with the SnowPro FAST system. I was thinking about it before I bought the InTec system. I meet a guy who had a break in the knee because the binding released in a bend. The problem is that this system can be get clogged more easy than the InTec because the pins of the binding push the snow in the hole of the boot in contrast to the InTec. The InTec pins push the snow out from the hole of the binding so the pin can always slip into the hole. This problem was discussed more times on various Forums.

Other problem, that you cannot check the binding-boot fastening by simply watching on it - because you cannot see it in opposite to the InTec that can be checked easily. In case of clam snow it is possible that the snow on the sole is so thick that the binding cannot close right. This is why it is needed to be able to check the fastening sometimes.

Perhaps this all is not a big problem but at least I decided to buy a system where I don't have any open questions. OK, the cable can break but it cannot harm your sanitary. And of course both system can break under special loading more easy than the normal bindings.

I don't want to dissuade you from buying a FAST system because I don't have any personal experience with it, but please think about the issues that I mentioned. I have ridden InTec for 5 years and I had no problem with it. And perhaps check the Burton Race Automat that can be an other possibility too. It is an other stepin system from Burton (from some years ago) that works with each boot without any adapter. Originally I wanted to buy such a binding but I couldn't find it in the shops.

kurtsk8
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kurtsk8 » Thursday 4 January 2007, 21:02

which bindings would you suggest for a freecarve use?

f2 intec titanium
f2 race titanium
or phiokka ph 69 highlander

do you think that step-in system like intec is a good thing for a freecarve use?
"I miei sci sbattono, vibrano, sbandano. Io no."

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 4 January 2007, 21:10

If you refer for freecarving on prepared slopes, then i would recommend F2 Intec titanium, if you want more height and more movement from binding then F2 Intec Titanflex.
Naturally Bomber TD2 Intec is optimum solution, but you can not make bad choice with those F2s :P they have best money/performance relationship 8)

kurtsk8
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kurtsk8 » Thursday 4 January 2007, 21:25

bomber would be the best, but i'd like to save some money for the ski-pass :lol2:

is it confortable a step-in system?
"I miei sci sbattono, vibrano, sbandano. Io no."

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 4 January 2007, 21:42

I prefer Intec, they are very comfy and very presice to ride.
I have one set of regulars but they are just for letting people test ride boards, i dont use them cause i'm too lazy to snap in, snap out :)