Technique and Equipment

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

cjhoffmn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Does that go for all intec heels?

Post by cjhoffmn » Thursday 12 December 2002, 22:33

Does that apply to the Trench Digger step ins as well? What about the UPS bindings they show on the UPS site that have what looks like a pull release for a step in heel on the UPS boots?

Thanks.
To carve, or not to carve.... It's not a question.

GrimReaper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GrimReaper » Tuesday 17 December 2002, 9:36

The big question is, does ups still excist ?????????
I can't find or contact them.

Tom

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: HEAD hard bindings

Post by roman » Tuesday 17 December 2002, 17:17

fivat wrote:GOOD NEWS!

The "HEAD Stealth DNA" bindings are still produced this season. They are the same as the old Blax (see the picture above) but are red. The prize is about 230 Euros (in Switzerland).
hey folks!
what about the head hardboots? ever tried one? i am totally happy with the 'vector pro ltd' modell. laterally stiff and still enough flex to carve in the bumps.

bye,
roman

joe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by joe » Tuesday 17 December 2002, 18:39

Hi roman,

in germany you cannot order a Head boot at the moment, so how should they be tested??
Head produced only a little amount of hardboots for this season, and obviously they don´t give a cent on alpine boarders.
Just look at their homepage, where you can´t find anything for us.

So i bought the Deeluxe Indy with thermoflex liner, and it´s just perfect, even if you have broad feets.

Joe

Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

HEAD Stealth bindings

Post by Mike » Wednesday 11 June 2003, 22:13

Fivat

what is the email address for HEAD Stealth DNA and if we cant get them what is the next best binding that you suggest

Mike

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: HEAD Stealth bindings

Post by fivat » Friday 13 June 2003, 15:18

Mike, we have often mentionned these bindings in the Forum.
Read for example: HEAD will still produce hard bindings <-- click here!

HEAD's site (http://www.ridehead.com/) don't show anything about the hard bindings :evil: Information can be found only in the catalogues for the professionals... It's sure that the bindings will be available next season, but HEAD's attitude is no good... Write them an e-mail (address on their site) :P

-Patrice Fivat

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: HEAD Stealth bindings

Post by fivat » Friday 13 June 2003, 15:35

Mike wrote:what is the next best binding that you suggest
BOMBER Trench Digger (http://www.bomberonline.com/)
or F2 Race Titanium:

-Patrice Fivat

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Monday 16 June 2003, 16:54

Well, I quite like my Virus Deathlock bindings

http://www.virus-snowboards.de/html/bindings.html

(unfortunately only in German, I think)

To be sure, I have not yet tested them extensively with my Swoard, but the are very robust and they let the board flex as much as possible (as the bindings are somewhat elevated apart from the base).

Regards, Eduard.

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Virus = Phiokka = Pogo!!!

Post by ablazespy » Tuesday 17 June 2003, 11:12

Hi all sorry to mention, but the binding from Virus look the same as the once before mentioned Phiokka bindings and also the Pogo binding look the same.
Who really produces these bindings? :?: :?:
J&P&N have you tested these? :?: :?:
And when we get a hand on the manufacturer of the bindings maybe you can get together and design the optimum Swoard binding :!: :wink: :wink: :wink:

any comments!!!

greetz and keep carving!

patmoore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Equipment vs. technique

Post by patmoore » Tuesday 7 October 2003, 18:51

To continue an earlier discussion, I'd like your thoughts on my setup. I have a 168cm Volkl RennTiger GS board with Raichle 423 boots and Burton Physics step in bindings. I'm 5'9" (175 cm) and weigh 170 lbs (80kg). Age is 57. I bought the system for racing and thoroughly enjoy it. I also have a 1997 Hot Shine 154 cm with SnoPro bindings.

Watching the EC movies I have the urge to lay down some extreme tracks but I haven't even come close to getting that low. Assuming I adopt something approaching the right technique, will my equipment allow me to emulate those graceful high speed turns?

Right now, I find it easiest to get a nice carve on gentle groomed slopes. All technique goes out the window on the steeps. I'll be at Okemo in VT this winter if someone wants to share their expertise.

Much obliged.

Pat Moore
Newington, CT USA

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 7 October 2003, 20:15

Hi Pat,

I have tried the Scott race board on the right of the picture (mine was the one on the left).

The feeling was terrible for me. I had a quite bad balance on such a narrow board. Due to the high feet angulation my legs were much too stiff: I couldn't bend my knies in order to use the push-pull technique.
I could do frontside laid turns, but backside were impossible because the heel was slipping.
Of course I'm not used to this board and stance, but my opinion is that such equipment does not really fit extremecarving.

Jacques

jason_watkins
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jason_watkins » Tuesday 7 October 2003, 20:43

How does the Snow Pro binding compare to the Burton Physics in stiffness?

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

agreed with "the boss" jack

Post by nils » Tuesday 7 October 2003, 21:14

I have also tried a Narrow board since i try myself at EC, and found also the frontside was not a real problem: what was almost impossible > the backside that had the edge slip (of course am not an expert but still) Because the board (hot blast 158 2001) was not designed to handle beeing vertical, and the angles where WAY too high for good EC technique.

Nils

patmoore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thanks Jacques!

Post by patmoore » Tuesday 7 October 2003, 21:20

That photo really shows the difference in the boards! As much as I'd like to add one more piece of apparatus to my collection, my wife might not be too amenable. Maybe I can find a demo board in New England this coming winter. By the way - I am mesmerized watching the videos you did in Switzerland. It's inspired me to want to try to duplicate some of it. I did make it to Zermatt this past February and took the Volkl to Cervinia. The snow was ideal but my technique sadly lacking.

P.

And Jason - regarding the binding stiffness. I don't know that I can tell much difference. The Snowpro is probably a little more flexible but it tends to need frequent adjustment and it's a pain to get into. The Burton sometimes is difficult to release but I'm getting better at it.

Is it too early to think snow?

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Scott versus Sword pic

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 7 October 2003, 22:07

Is it optical phenomen or just setup issue but it looks that on Scott binding are raelly set up much more backwards ?? That might also be reason why riding feeling is totally different compared what you were used, plus naturally those deeper angles too (any way they are still quite modest :D ).
But totally agree that some boards are designed to be ridden in different angles than others as some boats too :lol: