now it´s my turn(´s)

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

binaural
Rank 2
Rank 2

now it´s my turn(´s)

Post by binaural » Friday 9 August 2002, 0:53

Hi!

I´ve been snowboarding (and teaching) the whole winter and I´ve developed my style into one that´s very personal I guess.
I´ve only discovered this BEAUTIFUL site after I came back (Grossarl and Internet? No way! :wink:
So, I´m very curious of what you think of these pictures. I´m not too happy about the pictures, cos you can´t really see I make very very short radius hi/speed turns. Not exactly those beautiful Ecarves, but nonetheless... My interest lies by the latter BTW!

Thanks, Jasper

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hi!

Post by RicHard » Friday 9 August 2002, 11:25

Hello: first of all... welcome aboard!
Then... I'm happy to see that you ride a past season F2 board: I love F2 boards... I had a Silberpfeil one and, even if too narrow, it was absolutely great.
Which F2 board is yours?
Well, if I can give you an opinion, in the first picture there's so much counter rotation... uhmmm... very difficult to carve in such a way on icy and steep slopes... shouldn't it be the other hand to touch the snow?!?!
:D :D :D

The second picture seems good, but it depends on the rest of the video!!!
FOr extreme carving I think it's good, but for the "standard" way of carving, the legs seems to be too straight...
Just my two cents opinion... but... why don't you post a video?!?!?! We want to see a video because we are in the office, with very hot temperature, and we want to see a cool and fresh video!!!
:D :D :D
Hope you are able to send one!...
Ciao!

_RicHard

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hey jasper :)

Post by nils » Friday 9 August 2002, 11:26

I guess you're ready for the next step, like i was before the winter last season..... I wasn't far from what you show here, and it took me 15 days to understand the whole EC trip, hardest thing was to forget about counter rotations ( the pics above show you tend to use counter rotation a bit still).

2d step was learning to begin the carved /laid turn before the board has even turned, a tip from jacques was to get the nose of the board slightly uphill at the last moment just before "jumping laid" into the turn..

the rest is well explained on the site, it is possible to achieve good EC with a race board like yours, but not as good as with the EC board, because of width, feet angles, and torsion control...

Post movies and more pics :)nils

binaural
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by binaural » Friday 9 August 2002, 12:43

thanks for the comments both of you!!
I can see the counterrotation I´m making in the upper pic. What should I think to avoid this? I can think of a few things (right shoulder into the snow, turning your face into the center of the curve-which works wonderfully with pupils!, or laying the other hand in the snow too...)

Besides that I think my binding angles may be too extreme, it forces my body into minus position.
Also, I´m riding a 163 F2 Speedster GTS and I´ve come to the limits of it I think. It´s had a full season of riding and, me being 185/70kilo, it´s a bit too leightweight (short and flexible) I guess.
I rode a Rossignol 180 world cup board for a few days and that surely was easier to lay down (although f*cking scary, so much speed!)...
Ouch! I think I´ve just begon to blame my board for my technique failures.... :wink:

The backside turn is a lot better IMHO, but how can I lay down my upper body more? Like I said earlier, this may be my personal technique (which kind of amazed a lot of people), but I´d rather lay down like the big guys do... :D

There is a video made of these few days in Kaunertal. I´ll do my best to digitize it and send it out! Should be a fun project...:-)

I´d pay all I have for a good day of riding... I hate summer, give me back my winter please...

If you can think of some more comments, please, slaughter me... :oops:

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

how to forget about counter rotation

Post by nils » Friday 9 August 2002, 14:36

Getting rid of it is hard: the best way is to ride with both arms GLUED to the side of the body, except during laid turns... It not only obliges you to do rotation turns ( shoulder/hips turns starter), but also gives this very nice minimalist EC style.

Its very hard at first, because it feels you need the arms to keep balance, but you learn quick to move with whole body rather than arms....I still have to fight for them not to move all the time, but I find it easier and easier each time.

riding without arms makes you concentrate of the rotation and forces your body to launch the turn, it's really efficient !

It will take you barely 10-15 days before laying those frontsides (sorry to be un-modest but am proud of the turn ;) >viewtopic.php?t=77 ) read the explanations i tried to give, and jacques's too :)

Nils

binaural
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by binaural » Saturday 10 August 2002, 16:53

hey Nils!

Wow, no reason at all to be unmodest! Superb frontside. Could you get up and ride on or was this just one lay-down?
I know from my teaching that arm-movement is very very bad. (BTW: especially boys suffer this. girls take on snowboarding quicker, I learned to my surprise, when they aren´t afraid)...
What board did you ride there?

I´m dying to get to the snow again.... thanx for the reply!

Jasper