Where to lay trenches in Verbier?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Where to lay trenches in Verbier?

Post by Willow 15 » Saturday 22 March 2008, 11:05

Hi everyone, i am going to Verbier at the begining of April can anyone suggest the best carving areas. I also have transport so would it be a good idea to try out Zinal for a day or leave it to next year when i intend to go to ECS. Thanks for any help.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Well

Post by nils » Saturday 22 March 2008, 11:49

Verbier is not really a nice place for carving... i've been there many times, and each time i was telling myself: go somewhere else !
Les ruinettes and savoleyre slalom stadium are by far the two best places...the problem is:
- ruinettes is crowded
- slalom stadium is south face and often melted, icy etc... however when conditions are good it can be incredible ( you sometimes have to fight with the slalom organisers so they let you use a side of the piste between racers...)
Zinal is about 45-50 mins drive so manageable!

Nils

ngsam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ngsam » Saturday 22 March 2008, 15:54

I confirm Verbier is the worth place for carving.

A plenty of people on the slope... very very very dangerous.

At least 45 minutes of waiting at the cable car station in the morning.

Bad Bad bad bad slope preparation !!!

Very expensive ski pass !!!

Personnaly ... I think that Verbier is only the right place to be drunk and to loose money. Some people say that Verbier is also good for freeriding but anyway expensive with fulll of people is not for me.

I am really sorry for you but all in Verbier is made to bring the money out of your pocket. I don't know why this station has a so good reputation in the UK .... maybe because James Blunt live there :lol: :lol:

FYI Verbier is only at 1 hour by car from Zinal.... I advise you to at least go to Zinal 1 day.....

bye

sam
SWOARD
EXTREMECARVER GEN 1 161 S + 161M
EXTREMECARVER GEN 3 161 M
DUAL 158
HEAD STRATOS PRO sont trop belle et font trop pas mal aux pieds
F2 RACE TITANIUM/

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Willow 15 » Saturday 22 March 2008, 18:10

Thanks for the replies. I wish i had asked this question before i booked my accomodation. Are there any other places close to Verbier that are good for carving? It will only be my second week on snow this year so i will make the most of it anyway. Thanks again :D

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hey

Post by nils » Saturday 22 March 2008, 18:56

its fine Verbier is still a good place to snowboard...freeride is exciting when conditions are good... make sure to wake up early in order not to wait too much at the bottom lift, and enjoy it :)..As Sam said, it has become a very expensive place, which is invaded by english people, like Meribel, and the resort has forgotten to upgrade its lifts as much as it upgraded its prices.... Now that they have people with $$ ( english, russians..soon chinese) they are overconfident in their reputation...And they will loose much because the competition ( main euro resorts) is much more ahead of what they have to offer...
For this reason my advise would be : never go to a place where everyone go, and also avoid the big resorts: its ski cash machine for the (rich) masses....

Nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 22 March 2008, 20:21

Yep :) Russian boardpunks likes Verbier for it`s freeriding opportuninies :) It`s actively advertised in appropriate internet forums. The best time for carving already gone - crowd likes warm weather :-)
i`m learning

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

well

Post by nils » Sunday 23 March 2008, 7:45

frankly the russians i saw in verbier are not boarding addicts but older mobs with women in furs coming out of shiny cayenne turbo...not my type!

N

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Whitey » Sunday 23 March 2008, 9:52

It is quite many years ago when I visited Verbier. During that time, the best area was Bruson: pretty good offpiste possibilities, one good carving slope and not that crowded than other areas.

Eventhough, also Bruson might be changed since then but it could be good idea to check it out.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: well

Post by starikashka » Sunday 23 March 2008, 11:35

nils wrote:frankly the russians i saw in verbier are not boarding addicts but older mobs with women in furs coming out of shiny cayenne turbo...not my type!
Those people have a kids :-) and they are not looks like a russians :-)
i`m learning

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Willow 15 » Sunday 23 March 2008, 18:08

Now that they have people with $$ ( english, russians..soon chinese) they are overconfident in their reputation
Hey Nils not all of us english are rich idiots who think we own everywhere. I thought i would try Verbier cause it had a good freeride reputation and my fiance would love the expensive shopping(her purse and my credit card will be left in england). Its my first trip to Switzerland and looking forward to it. I do agree about quiet resorts. One of my favorites so far is Kicking Horse, the gondola should have a middle station but the terrain that is accessible is out of this world. I also love Vars but my first full season as a ski technician was spent there in 1987 riding my elite 150 so i remember it with rose tinted glasses. :D

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hey will

Post by nils » Sunday 23 March 2008, 18:34

no harm intended i was generalizing ...and i know all english and russians are not alike :)

So verbier to resume, is a great freeriding place but poor carving location...you can however have fun there on the few carving pistes...as for freeride there, i prefer savoleyres area (less crowded) than the big main offpistes that are nice but overcrowded, and sometimes dangerous ( avalanchy)...
Would be nice to have your feedback on this...maybe we should start a subject on " resorts" and see if it works...

N

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Willow 15 » Sunday 23 March 2008, 20:57

No harm was taken :D . I am always complaining about the bloody english myself! I am going on the 5th so have a couple of weeks to wait but will let you know what i think. Thanks to everyone with information about where to go.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: hey will

Post by starikashka » Sunday 23 March 2008, 23:08

nils wrote:Would be nice to have your feedback on this...maybe we should start a subject on " resorts" and see if it works...
This is very useful thing, look at the picture

we have a guy in our carving community who travel a lot :) almost every month. He making a marks on the maps KAPB in Russian mean carve :) everybody could do the same.
i`m learning

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes

Post by nils » Monday 24 March 2008, 10:30

well its a good idea but we need to think of a more scientific way of marking the pistes...the idea to write it on the map is very good too...lets think of a way to organize this...
database will be needed...but lets first think of how to indicate things, and what to write that will be very easy to understand...sum of all the data could lead the resort to have a rating ' carveable'...
We started an EC approved label a few years back but lacked time to go further!

Nils

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: yes

Post by manuchill » Monday 24 March 2008, 10:49

nils wrote:well its a good idea but we need to think of a more scientific way of marking the pistes...the idea to write it on the map is very good too...lets think of a way to organize this...
database will be needed...but lets first think of how to indicate things, and what to write that will be very easy to understand...sum of all the data could lead the resort to have a rating ' carveable'...
We started an EC approved label a few years back but lacked time to go further!
it would be very nice to have such a database filled by the community with all the best places to carve, maybe it's an option to start a topic on what people want to know exactly (location, which piste, picture, ect.. etc..)
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)