EC Backside

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Mike_Slopecarver
Rank 2
Rank 2

EC Backside

Post by Mike_Slopecarver » Thursday 10 April 2003, 19:06

Hi

When I try the EC-backside I feel too much pressure on my front leg instead of an even distributed pessure on both legs as recommended (on the frontside, I can manage the EC pretty well with a more or less equal distribution of pressure on both legs). I think that I aplly enough rotation on the backside but the problem is still there..

Any hints?

What's best to imagine when trying an EC on the backside?

What about speed?

Any useful hints would be appreciated..

Thanks Mike

PS: I ride the SWOARD 168M

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 10 April 2003, 20:37

Hi Mike,

Difficult to say something without seeing anything.
Could you put a link of a video?
What's best to imagine when trying an EC on the backside?
To avoid any "sitting" position, imagine that you let yourself fall back on your bed when you are very tired.

Jacques

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Friday 11 April 2003, 18:09

Hi Mike,

some weeks ago I received my Swoard 175M, and I encountered the same problem as you. Frontside works really nice (and makes people look after you :mrgreen: ) but backside is normal carve without being able to get really low. But last week I went to Kaprun and I started to see some effects. I think Jacques proposition to think of letting you fall is quite helpful. For me though it was a little bit different. On frontside I "long" for diving towards the snow and get low. It helped to visualize the same picture on my backside - seeing myself moving towards the snow. I did not arrive at linking the turns on backside but for the beginning I was happy to have some laydowns. It might also help not to do the push-pull-turn immediately but trying to dive with bent knees. As Jacques said do not sit, keep your body upright , get enough speed on a not too steep piste, and I would even increase a little bit the weight on the front foot.
But I have to keep on trying as well!

Eduard.

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Saturday 6 December 2003, 2:47

You're probably all set by now, but I have a very similar problem. As of yet I haven't had a chance to try and fix it. However I think that I know what I'm doing wrong and what might be you're problem. One time I did an EC carve on my heel, more on accident than on purpose. But the reason that I think I did it was because I leaned back slightly. I don't think that I leaned backward but I was much farther back than usual. I think that I had gotten good on my toe side by leaning far foward, but a heel side turn is much different. So I think what I need to do and I think you probably need to do as well is just lean back slightly on our heel side. I think that is what it is because after I did that one carve I tried to pick it apart and see what I did differently, and that was the only thing that I could tell was different. I hope this helped, and have a great season.
Chris

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Saturday 6 December 2003, 14:56

i experienced the same backside turn as you did. but i think it gives me much less control over my board, so it's dangerous to do it on a not ideal EC slope. By the way it seems to me that J&P are leaning towards the nose on both frontside and backside turns.

my feeling (about leaning back on backside turn) is it helped bend the board, wich helps a lot for building the cenrifugal force that keeps you in equilibrium while laying down. But you might be able to do the same by leaning forward... i think.

stone20100
Rank 5
Rank 5

Backside EC turns

Post by stone20100 » Monday 12 January 2004, 15:58

Hi !

I experienced the same problems in Backside EC turns.
Now, i've made a little progress beause i've bought smaller
shoes so that the back of the shos is farer from the back side.
So I manage to lay down but most of the times, i didn't manage
to stand up after laying down. I don't know if the problem if the lack
of speed or whatever.
I think the begining of the EC (paralall to the slope) is very important
to manage to lay down but the more speed you have the more
problems you'll avoid.
Someone know something about my problem (i lay down but didn't manage to stand up after) ?

Thanks.

Vincent

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Friday 16 January 2004, 2:32

I think I figured out why at least I wasn't as good on my backside turns, maybe it will apply to you.

I went riding with a friend of mine that also carves (he's been doing it for a couple more years than I have) and he noticed that I tend to get lazy on my backside turns. I don't crouch as much as I do when I do a toe side turn, when I tried to fix that then there was a huge difference. I could make tighter turns, get lower, and go faster. I don't know if this is the same thing that you guys are doing, but it certainly helped me so I'm gonna put it out there. I hope this helped, maybe I'll see you on the slopes. :D :D :D
Chris