A Quick Suzuka / Indy boots Question

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Flasharry
Rank 1
Rank 1

A Quick Suzuka / Indy boots Question

Post by Flasharry » Thursday 26 January 2006, 16:59

I am just about to purchase some hard boots.

Foot size 'Mondo 29' - with no socks, is this correct, or should i have thick socks on? My feet are probably slightly wider than average as well.

I wanted the Delux Suzuka, as they sound more comfortable and have a walk mode, but i have found the Delux Indy to be cheaper, should i go for them? Or better to pay the extra 70 euros for the Suzuka?
Will i be able to get the longer spring mods in Zinal?

Thanks
Stuart.

tufty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: A Quick Suzuka / Indy boots Question

Post by tufty » Thursday 26 January 2006, 18:00

What's different between the boots:

Flex - Indys are a lot stiffer than suzukas. That comes down to personal taste, I guess. I prefer a rigid boot myself, but maybe I'm just a masochist :)
Cant adjuster - Indys come with RAB, I believe, Suzukas with the 5-way cant adjuster. Parts interchangeable between the two. And if you are looking at replacing them with an aftermarket RAB type deal... Suzukas do have a walk mode, but how much time do you intend to spend walking in them?
Liner - Indy is full thermoformable, Suzuka is partially thermoformable. you're probably going to want to get to know your bootfitter anyway, but a fully thermoformable inner is worth it.

If it were me, I'd go for the indys. YMMV. I'd actually suggest trying them out first if at all possible.

Simon.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Thursday 26 January 2006, 18:50

Indy cheaper than Suzuka? How come? Maybe that Indy is the last year's model.... anyway, there is no difference at all compared to the new one.

I would try it with socks. Be careful, many people buy a bit large. When it comes to ski/snowboard boots it is natural and necessary that your toes touch the end of the liner. In case of normal shoes usually we try to avoid this....

When you try the boot on pull out the liner, put it on, step on it, and then you'll feel and see how it fits you. Than put it back into the shell put it on again and keep it on for 15-30 minutes. Walk, sit, etc. Then you feel if it really suits you. Then you can get it heated for the personalization process....

Unfortunately it can still happen that you only figure out that is is uncomfortable when you rode 2 days in it.... then you can start the game of re-moulding the liner, cutting pieces out of the shell, trying to heat-gun it, etc....

Well, good luck with it - my choice is the Indy.

Kindest,

István

Flasharry
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flasharry » Thursday 26 January 2006, 19:15

Thanks for the replys.

Indys it is then.

Yes i think they are last years boots.

Thanks for the fitting advice, but unfortunately, i have no way of trying on any hard boots as i live in London. I am just going to have to order over the net and hope they fit....Doh!

If i place my toes just against the wall, and put a small box just behind my foot, the measurement is exactly 29cm. (I get a similar answer if i draw with a pen around my foot). But it is 29.4cm with ski socks.

Should i get Mondo size 29 or 29.5?

Edit: Sorry, Perhaps that's the wrong question.

Do you find their sizes generous or tight?
And it looks like I should get the Thermofit liners.....Doh! (not on special offer).

Thanks again.
Stuart.

xyxx
Rank 4
Rank 4

just an opinion

Post by xyxx » Thursday 26 January 2006, 22:48

Well, my posts here generally go against the opinion of the general public, so probably I should continue this line, hehe.

Measure the lenght of your foot with a ruler. If it is 29cm sharp, I would go for 28.5mondo with thermofit liners. Or even 27.5 with thermoflex. But in the latter case it is better first to try to fit your foot inside the shell without a liner. There should be about 1-1.5cm of free space longitudally and 0.5-1cm side to side.

29.5 and 29.0 have the same shell, but the 29.0 liner is thicker, which means that it will get thinner with time to a much bigger extent and cause much more trouble.

Smaller shell will allow you to use smaller angles, though if you are riding a swoard it should not be an issue.

Good luck!
And it was just an opinion.

My feet are 270mm long, I ride 26.5 size SB325 and looking for a pair of AF600/AF700/Suzuka/Indy 25.5 Thermoflex

Guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Guy » Monday 30 January 2006, 9:58

Flasharry wrote:Do you find their sizes generous or tight?
I find DeeLuxe sizes to be generous.
Guy
Swoard Extremecarver 168S 347, F2 Race Titanium bail bindings, Raichle SB 324 boots