ON EDGE tv

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: ON EDGE tv

Post by au » Thursday 24 November 2011, 13:00

Peter Bauer & Jean Nerva:

Honestly, it's far away from modern technique which we call EC.

H2O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by H2O » Thursday 24 November 2011, 13:20

au wrote:Peter Bauer & Jean Nerva:

I agree :bravo:
Pietro
... sciare in pista è come nuotare in piscina, sciare in fuoripista è come farlo in mare aperto ...

absone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by absone » Friday 25 November 2011, 9:46

starikashka wrote:Columbus have discovered America, but just one small country named after him :-) not entire continent :-)
That duchebag got lost. How the hell do you discover a place that is already inhabited? Only if you claim those inhabitants are untermensch :evil3:

My experience is that terminologies in Europe is different from that in the US. For example front side or backside means opposite things, as can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontside. I am not sure if the term counter rotation can be confusing, however. Many folks I rode with like Nils, Regis Rolland, Serge Vitelli, Ludo Strohl, Joerg Egli, [EDIT by the moderators: the name of a manufacturer who was strangely placed in this list], to mention a few do not confuse this term. Counter rotation disturbs the flow and it not very pleasing to the eye. It is poor form and poor technique that serves its purpose under certain strenuous conditions.

Lastly, thanks WinterGold for the kind words. Carve on!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[EDIT from the moderators]

This author has been identified as a dealer of another brand (which copied Swoard by the way).
So the tone of the message, and the mix of right things and wrong things, are not surprising.
Giving a list a persons (who actually can't be compared) doesn't give credit to the author neither.

Ballard
Rank 3
Rank 3

ON EDGE tv episode 2

Post by Ballard » Saturday 26 November 2011, 6:56

In Snowboarding, in reference to turning. North American riders refer to heelside carves as backsides and toeside carves as frontsides, in snowboarding. Have not heard it any different. I'm not speaking about surfing or anything else.

Hey, heres Episode 2 of ON EDGE. Poking fun at the coach... We might have had a very fun coaches night out before the gymnastics. wasnt feeling too hot :)

Feedback is appreciated. I realize its not EC riding, but it'll do...

Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Silver » Saturday 26 November 2011, 9:55

au wrote:Peter Bauer & Jean Nerva:

Not so sure...

absone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by absone » Saturday 26 November 2011, 15:30

absone, I think that definition for fs and bs on wiki is incorrect. Toeside/FS and Heelside/BS are the same all over. The definition in wiki might be more around doing a spin?
No! No! :naughty: The wiki term is correct as far as surfers (California & Hawaii) and skaters are concerned. These terms predates snowboarding and generally refers to the wave; ask Mark or Jasey-Jay, I know they have hung out with world-class surfers like Brad Gerlach and the crew of riders that developed the carveboard (a carving machine for the pavement). In the Alps, ask Serge Dupraz; his Hawaiian surfing experience. gave birth to the patented D1 Dupraz Snowboards that is widely copied now.

Thanks for the update; maybe we will cross path again one of these days.

absone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by absone » Saturday 26 November 2011, 16:06

Ballard, were you guys aware that your trainer at the Woodward facility was none other than the oldschool prosnowboarder Chris Pappas.
If you get a chance to actually ride with him, please don't hesitate. Guys like Rob Kingwell, Shaun White, etc have benefited from his knowledge and experience. I think he might be featured in the first issue of Transworld Snowboarding here:
http://allboardssports.com/cool-enough- ... rst-issue/

Chris, I think, was the first person to actually ride Corbet's in Jackson Hole and make all the expert skiers jealous.

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by au » Saturday 26 November 2011, 16:41

Frontside and backside are surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding and aggressive inline skating terms that are used to describe how a person approaches an obstacle or performs a certain trick.
It's all about tricks and not about carved turns :)
Freestyle terms are good for park rats :D

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 26 November 2011, 16:54

absone wrote:
starikashka wrote:Columbus have discovered America, but just one small country named after him :-) not entire continent :-)
That duchebag got lost. How the hell do you discover a place that is already inhabited? Only if you claim those inhabitants are untermensch :evil3:

My experience is that terminologies in Europe is different from that in the US. For example front side or backside means opposite things, as can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontside. I am not sure if the term counter rotation can be confusing, however. Many folks I rode with like Nils, Regis Rolland, Serge Vitelli, Ludo Strohl, Joerg Egli, [EDIT by the moderators: the name of a manufacturer who was strangely placed in this list], to mention a few do not confuse this term. Counter rotation disturbs the flow and it not very pleasing to the eye. It is poor form and poor technique that serves its purpose under certain strenuous conditions.

Lastly, thanks WinterGold for the kind words. Carve on!
Everything is relative :-) despite the place is inhabited, some people did not know about that. It is a discovery For those people :-) did "this duchebag" lost or not does not matter :-)

What is untermensch?

Counter rotation can be confused. For example, we had a discussion with WinterGold if he counter rotate or not. Looking for same video we had different opinios. Which is good :-))
i`m learning

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 26 November 2011, 16:58

au wrote:It's all about tricks and not about carved turns :)
Stop behave like hardbooter-nazi:-) they are also snowboarders :-)
i`m learning

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by au » Saturday 26 November 2011, 17:06

starikashka wrote:Stop behave like hardbooter-nazi:-) they are also snowboarders :-)
They definitely deserve to have their own terminology :)

Ballard
Rank 3
Rank 3

ON EDGE tv

Post by Ballard » Saturday 26 November 2011, 17:35

Absone, not sure I recognize who you are, where have we met?

Chris did a great job with the crew. Well aware of Chris and George.

More interesting is the guy in the background on skis just came back from Iraq, flying an apache. Was shot down at one point. And was taking his 16 year old daughter for a date at woodwards for his 1st time seeing her in 18 months.

absone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by absone » Saturday 26 November 2011, 19:00

au wrote:
Frontside and backside are surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding and aggressive inline skating terms that are used to describe how a person approaches an obstacle or performs a certain trick.
It's all about tricks and not about carved turns :)
You missed the point of your quote here the key word is APPROACH. The trick is not the important act.
The precise terminologies to eliminate any confusion is toe-side turn and heel-side turn. Frontside and backside mean opposite things to the more precise toe-side and heel-side turns full stop.

I think you have been corrected on the divisive tone of your comments. There are well rounded snowboarders that still drop cornices, cliffs, and surf big mountain powder stashes and spines while expressing themselves with whatever rotations they feel like and are still very comfortable carving the deepest ruts on groomed piste. In my younger days, I carved my raceboards switch and carved the pipe up on my raceboard and you know pipe riding is about making turns in air or at least jump turns and the most fun is the carve turns on the vert. In fact, riding my race boards in the pipe, was a point of serious contention with Jimmy Smith (world champion) who believed these carving machines do not belong in the pipe. Try this some time and you will be a really free rider, the carve turn on the vert is like a big wave carve.

absone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by absone » Saturday 26 November 2011, 19:21

starikashka wrote:Everything is relative :-) despite the place is inhabited, some people did not know about that. It is a discovery For those people :-) did "this duchebag" lost or not does not matter :-)

What is untermensch?

Counter rotation can be confused. For example, we had a discussion with WinterGold if he counter rotate or not. Looking for same video we had different opinios. Which is good :-))
i`m learning
I sure hope you are learning. The definition of discover is "To be the first, or the first of one's group or kind, to find, learn of, or observe."
So one can only discover an uninhabited island, continent, or whatever. If a place is already inhabited, the first person to visit and inhabit it is the discoverer not the guy that got lost and find a bunch of people there. I hope you now understand; using illogical relativity factor only suggests the the inhabitants of America predating Columbus are not considered humans hence the word untermensch. On the scientific level, there is no question about who discovered penicillin, everyone knows who Marie Curie is, and one can use invention and discovery interchangeably with caution.

Back to snowboarding, I still do not understand why there is any confusion about counter rotation or its definition. It is pretty straightforward, the upper and lower body move in the same direction. There could be a time lag of a slight delay between the two and that is no cause for any difference in opinion.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 26 November 2011, 19:29

Do you considere French style shown on right side as counter rotation or not?
http://web.archive.org/web/200712200634 ... swiss.html