Bootfitting self made

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bootfitting self made

Post by azaz44 » Monday 7 February 2011, 17:56

I've read here about bootfitters. Is it possible to make any tuning, like cutting out some part of the inner boot on your own?

I use Burton DriverX boots and the left one is a little but too short, or rather my left foot is bigger. It was fine when I bought it, but somehow now it is not. I wonder if I can cut something out? Outside or inside?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 7 February 2011, 19:35

any problems caused by this?
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Monday 7 February 2011, 21:09

A lot of pain and blue nail, which will go out with time...

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 7 February 2011, 21:47

If You want to mod the shell, Yes it is possible, but You need to heat it in the tongue place to about 200 celsius degr and push it strongly and gently to tune it a bit. The ideal "pushing" unit is the backside of a small hammer. Do not overheat it... It is very easy if You take a heat gun...
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 7 February 2011, 21:50

azaz44 wrote:A lot of pain and blue nail, which will go out with time...
Now it`s clear :-)

It can be of two reasons - the boot too small or too big. If boot is too big your feet is not fixed properly and goes forward and torture your big finger. If boot too big - trow this away.

If boot is small there are some options to make it more comfortable.

If your inner liner is regular, i.e. it does not heat moldable you will need to mold a plastic using a heater like this.

This require certain skills to do shell bootfitting . I did not try this, because it`s "one mistake" job. Too risky :-) But if you want to know how-to-do this i can explain the theory.

Easier way to get thermoflex liner and heat this and mold to fit your foot, but this can require you to replace your boots if their size not appropriate.

What is your boots and feet sizes in cm or mondopoints?

I know a technoloigy that allows to use a boots that 2 sizes less than originally designed in combination with heat moldable liner. Previously i had same nail renewal process but now i happy owner of very comfortable short sole lenght boots :-)
i`m learning

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Monday 7 February 2011, 21:54

To use a heat gun for a softboot?
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 7 February 2011, 22:23

Heh, I feel a bit silly... Hahaha -> a need to help is stronger than basic understanding of topic...
azaz44 wrote:I use Burton DriverX boots
Of corse using heat gun against soft boots is a nonsense!!! :-)

Sorry for my useless aids...
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 8:24

hehehe :-))) shit :-) We are screwed up :-) We do not know softboots market :-)

But it`s really not our fault, it`s a translation issue. We are not a native english speakers, even topicstarter :-))))

And i was also talking about molding the liners which suits sofboots issue :-)))

P.S. : looks that i justified myself a little :-))))
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 12:22

Hmm, it gets interesting. Looking through internet, I found the Imprint 3 liner, which I have, is heat-moldable. Didn't know it, didn't do this, they didn't tell me at the shop. And I made some 6 weeks of riding in them already. So I think I'll try heat-molding, maybe it helps.

I did some test and if I put the liner out and wear it, without the outer part, it already hurts, so maybe it's only the liner which is too small.

Any tips for heat-molding? I found some description here:
http://www.snowboarding-essentials.com/ ... boots.html

I'm not sure if to do it on my own or find a shop to do this?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 8 February 2011, 12:43

azaz44, keep in mind you asking the guys who mostly ride hardboots and almos have no clue what is happening on softboot market.

You already had a chance to see how stupid those guys (including myself ) can be :-)

If you want to mold liner by yourself, read softbooters forum and ask those guys who know what Imprint liner is. In theory you should heat the liner until manufacturer specified temperature and put specially prepared feet into it and stay in the boots for a certain time.

I personally can advice about the liners which are intended for hardboots. But this can be too much efforts for molding softboot liner.
i`m learning

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Monday 21 February 2011, 11:44

So I did some molding using a hairdryer, but had a feeling that it didn't change anything. Then I went for a week of snowboarding and found it was much better. I'm not sure if heat-molding helped, or I simply don't feel any pain anymore in my blue finger. It also could be, I got the problem because the boots were not laced tight and my foot was able to move too much to the front of the boot. Somehow I cannot tighten these boots well before 4th or 5th run, because it hurts badly. Later I lace them as hard as I can and it is fine.

But on the last day of my week I rented a Silberpfeil and hardboots. And wow, I ended up buying the board and it's goodbye to softboots...

Snegorez
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Snegorez » Monday 21 February 2011, 14:24

azaz44 wrote:So I did some molding using a hairdryer, but had a feeling that it didn't change anything.
a lot of ski boots shops could help you to mold driver x imprint liner correctly.
almost they have device to mold ski boot liners looks like a double hairdryer.
and usually you have to make innensole molded to your feet, before molding of the liners.

but now, welcome to hardbooters world :D

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Monday 21 February 2011, 15:02

I've tried two shops locally (Poland). One of them never heard about heat modling of snowboard boots. They had the equipment for skiing boots and I could use it for my own responsibility. In the other one they told me they don't do this anymore because they damaged the boots once + that on recent trainings manufacturers advise not to do this, because you get same result after 3h of using them anyway.

Anyway, I think the problem is solved. Shopping for hardboots now :)

Snegorez
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Snegorez » Monday 21 February 2011, 16:42

azaz44 wrote: Anyway, I think the problem is solved. Shopping for hardboots now :)
I think new problem is starting :) You have to go to competence dealer to choose well fitted shell and liner.
azaz44 wrote: that on recent trainings manufacturers advise not to do this, because you get same result after 3h of using them anyway.
selfmolding by heat of your body - unfortunately it is common mistake. We have molded burton imprint liners after a months using by snowboard instructor - every day. He felt strong difference in comfort.

azaz44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by azaz44 » Monday 21 February 2011, 18:48

Snegorez wrote:I think new problem is starting :) You have to go to competence dealer to choose well fitted shell and liner.
I was skiing before and have much better experience with hard boots than soft boots. Once you find the once which fit well, it's just good. Soft boots were more problem to me - hard to make them fell hard and tight without pains. I will miss the possibility to end snowboarding day by doing 3 km walk in a village shoping and hanging around in soft boots, but I see the bright parts too :)
Snegorez wrote:selfmolding by heat of your body - unfortunately it is common mistake. We have molded burton imprint liners after a months using by snowboard instructor - every day. He felt strong difference in comfort.
I didn't really believe them, that's why I tried with a hair dryer. Something helped, maybe it was my heat molding.