Who bevel's there edge's ????

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

How much of a bevel???

less than 1 degree
39%
1 degree
44%
No votes
11%
No votes
6%

Total votes: 18

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Who bevel's there edge's ????

Post by Mphdemon » Sunday 14 December 2003, 20:32

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you all bevel your edges. I haven't until lately, and I haven't gotten to ride on a beveled edge yet. Does it help a lot? I'm hoping it will because other than how low I'm getting everything else seems to be right, but as soon as I get past a certain point my edge skids out and I just tank the turn.
Chris

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Bevels

Post by nils » Sunday 14 December 2003, 21:20

What I used to do: leave base as it is, and do the side at 90°
Problem is when the board is sanded/grinded, the base often gets a 0.5, or 1° that makes the overall angle 91°.
Now, based upon the advice of Jean-Bernard Tschäppät, inventor of the tooltonic, I am doing the base a real 1° with a diamond file and a 1° guide, and the sides at 87°> makes total angle 88°. I have noticed better grip for now, and JBT told me the wear of a 88 vs a 90° angle is not really noticeable. He has done long testings with the Fisher ski team in austria, and says that the measurements of wear are barely noticeable between the too.
Strangely, he also told me that world cup skieers do file their edges when they tune the skiis in the summer, but then barely touch a file on the edge. All they do is polish, diamond etc but never grind the edges again because it changes the overall behaviour of the skis...This is also the reason why they have usually 3 pair of skis per type, with the only changes beeing the way the sharpening was done, and the base structure is done. They eventually measure the sharpening with a machine that says if the accuracy is good or not ( under 2.5 micron unsharped area between base and side edge is considered sharp)

N.

Mphdemon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mphdemon » Wednesday 17 December 2003, 0:32

Thanks Nils, hopefully I can get even lower now. If that is not the reason that my edge keeps popping out, then does anyone have any advice or ideas of what might be happening? To best describe it, my edge breaks through the carve, when I get to a certain angle. Will a 1 degree bevel make a big difference? :wall: :xmas: :chinese: :silly:
Chris