Deeluxe indy / Head Stratos Pro / Virus UPZ

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Nicolas1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Deeluxe indy / Head Stratos Pro / Virus UPZ

Post by Nicolas1 » Friday 14 January 2005, 19:16

Hello,

I would like to buy a new pair of hardboots. I already have a pair of Raichle AF 700 (the same boots that Deeluxe indy), but I don't like very much these boots.

I am interested to order either a pair of Head Stratos pro or a pair of Virus UPZ. Since I have to order them (thus to buy them), I do not want to choose the wrong boots.

Do you know the pros and cons of these boots ?

Nicolas

PS : I am rather light (i.e. 65 KG or 144 lb) and I am a rather good snowboarder

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Friday 14 January 2005, 21:40

Hi Nicolas!
For the VIRUS boots, you have some post in the forum,they can help you to know something about this boots.

HEAD STRATOS PRO:"The Stratos Pro are the high end race boots. Some Head boots come with a set of race heels/tongues. The Head boots are slightly softer than the DeeLuxe Indy.
Head makes half-size boots (like 27.5), but the only difference between a whole size and the next half-size up is the thickness of the footbed. Since you will want to use your own custom footbed, there is no difference in size between a 27 and a 27.5.
The cuff on Head boots is not as tall as the cuff on either Raichle boots. However, the high end boots have adjustment "wings" that extend some of the cuff plastic up by an inch.
The liners are generally considered to be warm and comfy. The area around the heel of the liner can be heated with a hose, but most people generally rely on the liners self-molding over time.
Head claims constant stiffness plastic over a wide temperature range.
The screws holding the buckles on the S-LTD tend to come loose. You will need a jeweler's screwdriver (#0 Phillips) to tighten them.
Head has generally been reliable when replacing broken gear even when it's out of warranty.
If you are using Head boots with the Bomber trench diggers, you probably need a longer setscrew on the TD toe clip. You will need to apply some paint to the threads to keep the screw from coming loose from vibration.
When using Head boots with some Intec step-in bindings, the Intec heel pieces can dig into the boot plastic along the sides of the boots, but it's not a big deal".

This is the theory.
Anybody who ride both, can say any more!!?? :wink:

Hope this help !!

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Sunday 16 January 2005, 19:18

Do you understand german, Nicolas? Bcos I wrote a review of my new Virus/UPZ-Boots on
http://www.snowboard-community.de/index ... topic=4814

If you can't read it, tell me, then I'll have to translate.

Nicolas1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nicolas1 » Tuesday 18 January 2005, 20:01

Hello,

Thank all you for your answers, very helpful

I have seen many chats about Virus UPZ and Head Stratos pro, but not really something that make a comparison between the two boots.

A priori, since I was happy with my old Blax Toni and since Head bought Blax, I am more in favor of the Head Stratos Pro ... but I can be wrong.

Leaving in Switzerland my German should be not too bad .... in theory. Unfortunately since in the German part of my country, the people speak a kind of awful dialects, rather far away from Hochdeutch ... I have never really improve my knowledge of this language ... and I am not really able to read a technical text in German. Thus, thanks for a brief translation in English about your UPZ

Cheers

Nicolas