Deeluxe INDY Thermo Fit *SOLVED*

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Deeluxe INDY Thermo Fit *SOLVED*

Post by Abrax » Thursday 17 December 2009, 10:47

After considering different ways of molding the liners,I have molded my liners with a success. Read the topic carefully and You will find few ideas on how to mold Your liners. The specific instructions on Deeluxe ThermoFit Heel and Tongue liners are somewhere there on the third page.
Below this line, there is original topic.

Hi all,

I've just bought stock new pair of Deeluxe INDY hardboots. They were worn several times in the shop, but these are completely new boots otherwise.

Anyway, I was searching for the post about thermoflex itself, but the only (and really great) stuff found about the boots was about spring mods.

My question is: What should I do with completely new boots to adapt them to my feet?

I can predict that answers will be like find the shop they will know... Yes this is the easiest way... But questioning You - the experts - I mean specific technical information as well.

Some time ago I was dealing with salomon's custom fit liners and there were several technical issues about the liners.

Usually new liner is warmed up to (this is the part of the question what is the right temperature) 60 something celsius degrees for about 15 minutes and then the one should wear the boot and let it cool down on his/her feet
to have this "perfect fit" done.

Hey, what about second hand stuff? Did You know that the whole process could be done up to three times without worsing the fitting capabilities? Is it the same with the thermo fit, what about thermo flex and other systems?

I write this post because I feel the strong need to brighten up this topic, the topic of OUR comfort :-)

I can bet that many of us will "thermo fit" their liners again after this topic :-)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 17 December 2009, 11:18

I`m not an expert, but do the bootfitting for myself on the kitchen :-)

Which type of liner you have there? Fully moldable wrap-up or thermofit with a tongue?

I can advice how to adopt fully moldable liner, but you will be using my advice on your own risk :-) The result is dependent on many things that you will do, probably (certainly) you will need to repeat baking :-)

I`ve put here a video how to prepare the feet for bootfitting to adopt 270MP boot to 290MP feet :-)
i`m learning

tali

thermoflex baking

Post by tali » Friday 18 December 2009, 5:53

I used that video for my thermoflex liners baking.
My size is nearly 25, and my boots are 23. So it was practically -1.7-2 sizes.
I survived and I am satisfied with the results of the first baking.
But... it does require some preparation and 40 minutes of standing still on your foot, the other one in the air :) I used the Canadian Law book, though nearly fainted several times...
Do not forget to find the second film of the Lord of the Rings, the Two Towers to watch during the baking. The best encouraging episode being the battle of Helm's Deep :)
Well, man, it's unforgettable. You might even want to do it again, just for the sake of it :)

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Friday 18 December 2009, 8:04

Tali: 40 minutes!!?? Why did it take that long? You did it with 200 celsius degrees? 8O Did You find out there any interesting know how video?

My liners says :"<b>FULL</B> THERMO FIT"it is written inside on the red back side wall. There are few more words down there just on the toes and they say "<b>FULL</B> THERMO FIT HEEL AND TONGUE" :-) Don't worry I know well that I will be on my risk. My wife will surely decide after all that we need a new baking machine, but it is worth it I'm sure. Whatever it takes - it is EC...

With these Salomon custom fit liners, we did use home hair dryer and a voltage regulator and a thermometer to aim 63 as I remember celsius degr. . I has taken 15 minutes and similar time to cool down. So it was "just" 15 minutes on my feet. The effect was 100% right but it took a lot of patience to do it right :-)

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Friday 18 December 2009, 8:06

Anyway, You guys say about 2 sizes up... I have 285mm foot and 285mm liners so it should be straightforward in this case :-)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 18 December 2009, 8:42

Abrax wrote:Tali: 40 minutes!!?? Why did it take that long? You did it with 200 celsius degrees? 8O Did You find out there any interesting know how video?

My liners says :"<b>FULL</B> THERMO FIT"it is written inside on the red back side wall. There are few more words down there just on the toes and they say "<b>FULL</B> THERMO FIT HEEL AND TONGUE" :-) Don't worry I know well that I will be on my risk. My wife will surely decide after all that we need a new baking machine, but it is worth it I'm sure. Whatever it takes - it is EC...

With these Salomon custom fit liners, we did use home hair dryer and a voltage regulator and a thermometer to aim 63 as I remember celsius degr. . I has taken 15 minutes and similar time to cool down. So it was "just" 15 minutes on my feet. The effect was 100% right but it took a lot of patience to do it right :-)
Soo :-) i like that topic :-)

here is a video :-)
[lost link with error 404]
check if the link still working - i explain in Russian how prepare the feet for bootfitting so you will be able to wear the boots with 20 mm less sole lenght. The wording in Russian, but you can see the picture. The idea is to create a custom spacing where you need it and provide comfortable boot with less sole lenght. It`s not easy - i repeated this 2 times for each boot.

It does not show few important things like entering the boot and creating proper heel support. Can be explained if needed :-)

The liner is heated up to 110 degrees C, we do not like the results that can be obtained with any kind of hairdryers, including those that able to melt plastics. Oven (or some kind of thermal box) is the best option.

Why it did take that long - because of previous practical experience :-)

I have a feeling that you want to know something different :-) Maybe we confusing full thermofit with termoflex

Here is the liner we are talking about.
i`m learning

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Friday 18 December 2009, 16:13

starikashka wrote: we do not like the results that can be obtained with any kind of hairdryers, including those that able to melt plastics. Oven (or some kind of thermal box) is the best option.
haha - that's why we've used the voltage regulator, which simply doesn't let the hairdryer to reach more than 70 degr C... And Yes, I've got a melting machine but i really don't use it for drying my hair - ;-)

The video works just fine. Now I can see why You did have to mold them twice. Firstly it gave You chance to straighten Your toes in freshly molded liner without this "system" on Your foot, Secondly You did the right molding...

BTW, thermal box - is so simple that I didn't even think about it... :oops:

When I was playing with salomons I wanted just to copy the original fitting machine which has a dryer and a temperature regulator.

Finally I must say that we have a truth which is said all around the world "The Pole can (do it whatever it is)" But after watching Your video I must say that our russian neighbours are the real magicians...

Anyway, Your liners seems to look different. Mine are red and black with a tongue and silver elements...

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Friday 18 December 2009, 16:13

But hey - I've found interesting articles here:

http://hardbooter.net/serendipity/index ... ooter.html

The following one is the must to read in this topic:

http://hardbooter.net/serendipity/index ... omfy!.html

tali

Liner show

Post by tali » Friday 18 December 2009, 17:34

Here is my liner.
Baked once :)
Attachments
liner.jpg
liner.jpg (9.68 KiB) Viewed 21167 times

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Saturday 19 December 2009, 16:43

My liner looks different...

Anyway, the article says that I don't really have to do anything with it as it is usually ok... So if there will be any kind of discomfort i will probably try my strengths with molding.

So once again with the temperature:

What was exact baking temperature/time/cooling down time of Your liners?
Attachments
d3.JPG
d3.JPG (63.98 KiB) Viewed 21119 times
d2.JPG
d2.JPG (71.72 KiB) Viewed 21119 times
d1.JPG
d1.JPG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 21119 times

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Saturday 19 December 2009, 19:03

Yeap!

-->> http://www.yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm

:oops: I've found it almost in the FAQ on our forum....

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 19 December 2009, 19:10

No idea how to adopt those to your feet.

The FAQ you found in the internet is about baiking the liners like mine and Tali. We do exactly what is written there with some specifics regarding feet preparation. Not sure if it works for yours. Check with Dave, he should know.
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 19 December 2009, 19:10

Unfortunately those thermos sucks :cry:
If you want to get good but economical ones, check here:
http://www.palau-boutique.com/boutique_ ... g_us&num=0

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 19 December 2009, 19:21

Abrax wrote:haha - that's why we've used the voltage regulator, which simply doesn't let the hairdryer to reach more than 70 degr C... And Yes, I've got a melting machine but i really don't use it for drying my hair - ;-)
70 degrees is not enough for a liners i have :-)
Abrax wrote:The video works just fine. Now I can see why You did have to mold them twice. Firstly it gave You chance to straighten Your toes in freshly molded liner without this "system" on Your foot, Secondly You did the right molding...
No, you can`t see that from the video :-) both times i`ve prepared the feet in same way. I just not followed procedure in other things so this did not provide a comfort for the situation of long vacation of 7..10 riding days. For weekend carving this was absolutely ok.
Abrax wrote:Finally I must say that we have a truth which is said all around the world "The Pole can (do it whatever it is)" But after watching Your video I must say that our russian neighbours are the real magicians...
Not sure what you have said :-) can you please explain a little bit more about a magicians?

Tali, you probably will need to repeat - the heel looks not impressive :-( But if you do not have any comfort issues with your boots - forget about it :-)
i`m learning

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 19 December 2009, 20:14

pokkis wrote:Unfortunately those thermos sucks :cry:
If you want to get good but economical ones, check here:
http://www.palau-boutique.com/boutique_ ... g_us&num=0
Pokkis, can you tell a little bit more why they are sucks. we had a hot disussion recently about thermofit. I want to know your view.

Also!! Was PALAU a producer of thernoliners for Raichle (Deeluxe)?
Previously those boots liners had a mark made in France and were white :-) Then chinese start producing the black liners. Prices are quite close to those we have in Moscow...which is about 100EUR for a pair of liners.
i`m learning