Edge repair

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Edge repair

Post by skywalker » Saturday 21 February 2004, 15:10

Hi my friends!

I need your help. My sister's WD Knifer is loosing ist's edge. On one side near the nose, the edge is without hold over about 20cm. Ther is no damage at the sidewall or the base, it's only the edge, that is no more fixed. Does anybody know a way to repair this? Thanks for your help!!!

Tom
free extreme carving

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 21 February 2004, 17:08

In this situation the best is epoxy that hardens slowly, like blue Araldite.
With a screw driver, open the space between edge and board to introduce the glue. Then tighten everything between two pieces of wood and a few clamps. To avoid that the wood sticks to the board, just put some thin tape against the base and top sheet.

Jacques

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Alternatives??

Post by skywalker » Saturday 21 February 2004, 20:37

Hi Jacques,

some more questions, as always, when you give me an answer ;)
I can buy Araldite 011 for a very expensive price of 177,- Euros per litre. There are other Epoxy-glues for less than the half with similar behavior, why is Araldite so expensive? Which are the parameters, I have to care about, when buying Epoxy? I never used anything like that, never have repaired a snowboard. Maybe you even know an online-shop?

Thanks a lot again!

Tom
free extreme carving

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 21 February 2004, 21:22

Tom,

This very expensive! I have no idea about this kind of Araldite. The most important thing for you is that the epoxy don't need to be heated to harden.

The one I was talking about can be found in a supermarket.

Jacques

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 21 February 2004, 21:35

Those Araldit tubes come size of very small tooth paste size :)
Another lazy option is bring board to your local ski/snowboard shop for repair, mine is charging like 10-20 euros of that, and they know what todo :D

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

O.k., I think, I've got something ;)

Post by skywalker » Sunday 22 February 2004, 0:34

Hi, thanks again for your help.

I can get some Epoxy-glue that seems to be very good from a yachting shop. This is the one I will try. If this doesn't work, I'll ask my local dealer ;)

Have a nice weekend

Tom
free extreme carving

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Sunday 22 February 2004, 11:15

Hi Tom.

also you can bring a reparation epoxi kit cheaper :D in any shop of windsurf they sell some different products to repair sails, boards, .... :wink:

ciao

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ride hard;100%fun

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Edge repair

Post by harald » Monday 23 February 2004, 9:54

I agree with Pokkis. A ski repair shop does the job better and almost as cheap as doing difficult repairs yourself. Otherwise, blue and red Araldit are universal tools for every skier and snowboarder. I use Araldit for reenforcing the tip and tail of my Swoard and also between the edges and base in order to prevent the grooves as vkrouverk reports in another thread. Araldit is found in handy sizes at hardware dealers. I am not certain that the epoxy in surf shops are strong enough for this kind of work
harald

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Monday 23 February 2004, 12:55

Hi all

the epoxy is a universal tip of sintetic resin of two components,

the difference between epoxy use in boards of surf and araldite, is that araldite isn't transparent, have a little color and the epoxy of surf board is totally transparent then you don't see the reparation, moreover his color is always the same, not change wthit sun, water, etc, but araldite yes.

I always repair my snowboards, kite and windsurf boards whiith this epoxy and never have any problem.
and this is very strong.

ciao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride hard %100FUN