Helmet

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Sammyboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Helmet

Post by Sammyboy » Monday 20 October 2003, 12:21

Hello carvers,

After reading the poll about Helmets i'm convinced; I need a Helmet.

Even on eazy whitewater I'm wearing a helmet when I'm kayaking, but carving my turns on the white slopes, I'm playing sunnyboy, with sunglases and fancy head... 8) :? :?

Stupid, but hey, you're never to blonde to learn :wink:

Can someone advice me on this topic? Are there any helmets very suitable for EC or some very unsuitable...? Importance things I should know and take notice of?

big thanx in advance!

..and to J & P: Great work you guys are doing! A forum like this is a good start for the HB revival!!

cheers,
Sam

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Helmet choice

Post by nils » Monday 20 October 2003, 14:29

A good helmet is a helmet wich passed official crash tests (in France it's call NF- French norm) in Germany another name etc... Meaning the helmet resists normalized crashes without exploding the skull of the rider.
Then comes the comfort that will make it a good or bad helmet... Personnaly I have a Cébé that is ok but too tight for me (next size was too big) and after a full day it's really to warm in there :)...
Choose a brand that is known (Cébé, Boeri etc...) and make sure you feel comfy in there (try it with goggles etc...)... and be sure not to forget to close it under your jaws !

Main danger from EC is collision from the above skiiers....You have priority but a dangerous curve that makes them unaware of the danger!!
So always look up when you EC !!

N.

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

another tip!

Post by ablazespy » Monday 20 October 2003, 22:47

I have another tip when looking for a helmet, take one that is low at the back of your head. Feel there, there is a little bump at the back of you're head at the same hight as your nose at the front, if the helmet is ok on all other fields look for this because a hit on this point of the head can bring a lot of damage to the brain! :roll: :x :x :x

A lot of (Freestyle) helmets do not protect this part (dont know why), I wear a Uvex helmet, but any other good brand will do. And take your goggle with you to the store when fitting the helmet!
Also ask about ventilation flows inside the helmet, I can open and close them, means warm when its cold, and cool when the sun is shining!!

I hope you succeed in your quest for a helmet!!

Cheers :wink:

Sammyboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thanx!

Post by Sammyboy » Tuesday 21 October 2003, 8:10

Thanx Guys!!

This is really helping me :D

To ablazespy;
Do you know any Dutch helmet shops? (internet?)

Cheers,

Sam

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Helmet

Post by harald » Tuesday 21 October 2003, 16:11

I can recommend Dainese helmet. It is very light, only 300 g, and very comfortable to wear. Since I bought it three years ago, I will not wear anything else at my head when I am out snowboarding or skiing. However, it is pretty expensive, 190-200 EURO in Norway, but worth its price. Maybe its cheaper in the EU?
harald

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Tuesday 21 October 2003, 16:15

Hi, in a good shop every offered helmet should fulfil the requirements of law. Beside looking at specific snowboard helmets you should have a look at ski helmets as well, there is almost no difference, but you have more choice.

Personally I use a Dainese competition helmet (for skiing) which is very stable, light and well made. It has a good ventilation, so it does not become too hot, at the same time I never felt cold, even with low temperatures. You should try out several helmets and take the one which fits best.

Oh, maybe you should also try out whether your goggles fit with your helmet, too large goggles will not fit.

And of course it should look acceptable, some helmets look like a large pot :)

Eduard.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Tuesday 21 October 2003, 21:50

Hey, Sammyboy

If you are living in the Netherlands look at the site www.whattowhere.nl and look for a helmet at dealers. They sell very nice helmets of www.cp-helmets.com, this is a nice swiss brand. I tried one last year, (I own also a helmet of RED/Burton, get some pain on the outside of my ears of this helmet). The helmets have a very good fit for my type of head (big). The possibilities to change the fit of the helmet to the form of your head are very good. The price/quality is very good. I bought one for about euro 80,-- I think.

Cheers, Hans.

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ablazespy » Tuesday 21 October 2003, 23:38

Sammyboy,

I have bought my helmet in Austria. I have been to about 10 shops in NL but could not find the helmet I wanted. In Keulen/Koln Germany I have found a lot of shops that sell nice helmets for under 100 euro's, this if you do not want to wait for you holidays to buy a helmet. I bought my helmet for 99 euro's!!

hope this helpes!!!

cheers :twisted:

Sammyboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sammyboy » Wednesday 22 October 2003, 14:07

Thanx again for all the information! :D

@Ablazespy: About where are these shops in Köln? I'm living in Krefeld(D) now for work, which is close to Köln...

Cheers,
Sam

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ablazespy » Wednesday 22 October 2003, 20:31

Hi sammyboy,

The shops are spread tru the streets from the Dom to the market square one big store is just in the big shopping street from the marketsquare away from the church there. I do not know names from the shop but If I can find a city map I can tell you the street names!!

Greetz :twisted:

Sammyboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sammyboy » Thursday 23 October 2003, 9:12

:lol: hi Ablazespy!

That will do, I'll drop my girlfriend at the Christmasmarket (hoe moet je nu weer Weihnachtsmarkt vertalen :? ) and go shoping for a helmet.

Thanx again,

Cheers,
Sam