Which flex is right for me?

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Which board should I go for?

Swoard 175M
11%
Swoard 175H
89%

Total votes: 18

JCvanDoorn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Which flex is right for me?

Post by JCvanDoorn » Saturday 10 March 2007, 20:36

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forum but cannot quite decide on the right Swoard board for me.

I am 1.95m, weigh about 100kilo's and have a size 12 (european 46) in shoesize. I currently own a F2 Silberpfeil but it is very narrow for me (as you can probably understand). I am seriously thinking about buying a Swoard but cannot decide between the 175M and the 175H.

I previously owned a Hot Blast Stiff (180cm) but I didn't quite like that because it didn't allow me to make sharp carving turns at low speeds. I like the F2 Silberpfeil because it does allow me to do that, but the limited width of that board limit's me to do any EC turns.

I'm hesitant to go for the 175H because I'm somewhat scared to buy another board that does not allow me to do relatively slow-speed carves (like the experience I had with the Hot Blast Stiff). Can you give me any tips/hints/etc that can help me make up my mind and buy the right board?

Thank you for your time!

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

175M vs 175H

Post by rcrobar » Saturday 10 March 2007, 21:49

Hi JCvanDoorn

Several years ago I asked Jacques this exact question as my weight, on a good day, is right in the middle of the 175M and 175H range. I LOVED my first Swoard so much that I ended up buying a second Swoard. I decided to get both the 175M and the 175H so that I could better match my weight and snow conditions. In reality I ride the 175M almost all the time because the flex is a good match for me and I am too lazy to drag two boards to the mountain.

The link that follows is a VERY detailed and excellent answer that Jacques gave a few years ago, it should have all the information you will need to make a final decision.

viewtopic.php?t=413&highlight=

Hope this helps
Rob

e_wi
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by e_wi » Sunday 11 March 2007, 10:07

Try them at ECS08 and compare before you buy, but with your weight I'd say no doubt for 175H, your's 100kg would bent any board to make short cut curves, later eric
Swoard Pro2 175M, Redline bindings, UPZ RC10

e_wi
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by e_wi » Sunday 11 March 2007, 10:08

Try them at ECS08 and compare before you buy, but with your weight I'd say no doubt for 175H, your's 100kg would bent any board to make short cut curves, later eric
Swoard Pro2 175M, Redline bindings, UPZ RC10

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Sunday 11 March 2007, 16:12

A Hot Blast in 180 will be plenty stiffer than a Swoard 175H - in fact I don't know anyone with a GS Blast who doesn't think its too stiff.
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Monday 12 March 2007, 15:26

Like the title of the thread, I have the choice for the 175 M, or perhaps the 168 M/H as i am weighing nearly 80 kg (length is 185 cm). Right? :think:
But it seems, as if I want to buy a 3D, there is the 175 M the only choice. :?
Is it possible, that the advice of the right flex for the 3D depends on a lower weight of the rider?
(Rob wrote in the posting from 2003 that 74 to 82 kg is in the middle of the range for the 175 M).
If that is true, it would have a great influence for someone who wants to buy a used board. :rules:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

weights

Post by nils » Monday 12 March 2007, 15:47

100 kilos: 175H no discussion possible. And even then, you are at the extreme limit of the weight advised for the Swoard. We will not sell you a 175M with 100 kilos ( nor warranty it). The reason why:
The concept behind the extremecarver is to have a SOFTER flex compare to a regular race board: it means also having LESS thickness to allow softer board flex. Softer boards means less materials and less materials means a board that will be more fragile than a board much stiffer: more fragile means more possibilities to break for heavy weight guys.. ( we are not trying to hide the fact that a board designed for someone in the 80-95 kilos range is not well adapted for 100+ kilos riders...its simple physics!)..

The problem with heavier riders ( 100+ kilos ) is that they have problems finding adapted gear. For now, we cannot produce boards adapted to them because they represent too few production, and only custom orders via shapers can give them a solution. In the future maybe we'll issue a 175H+...who knows! Meanwhile the riders that are out of the weight range have to be cautious.. especially in soft snows that bury the nose...

As for choosing a used 3D or a used 2D etc: just remember the 3D's where a bit softer than the 2D counterpart. The weight ranges slided a bit up after the new model came up ( different process / resins etc..)

Nils

joemzel: 78 / 80 kilos with 185cm> 168H, or 175M if you prefer longer boards or have big feets... easy choice :)

N

JCvanDoorn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JCvanDoorn » Tuesday 13 March 2007, 15:51

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your answers ... It's clear now that I will need the 175H.
I hope to be able to show off some nice pictures next year with the Swoard :)

Best regads,

Jeremy