Sore shin

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sore shin

Post by Guy » Tuesday 10 January 2006, 2:25

I ride with Deeluxe Suzuka boots. I always get a sore mark on the shin of my rear leg. If I ride for a few days in a row, it becomes a blister and then an open wound.

Does anyone else have this problem with Suzukas? There seems to be a specific pressure point between boot and shin about 53mm down from the top of the tongue. The tongue has a plastic channel on the outer side (front), which ends at this point, which seems to be the pressure point. Maybe they changed the inner boot design since last season?

I'm riding with the RAB clips in walk mode, so the stiffness is not the problem. Maybe it's just me and I should try other boots.

I have tried to minimize the problem with various padding arrangements to better distribute the pressure but so far I haven't found a good solution.

Am I the only one who has this problem with Suzukas?

Guy
Swoard Extremecarver 168S 347, F2 Race Titanium bail bindings, Raichle SB 324 boots

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

boot problem

Post by nils » Tuesday 10 January 2006, 9:59

i have the problem in all boots, especially in very tight boots like my SB121 with injected liners. It also depends on how the bone is. Mine is very angular 10cm above the foot.
When i had the problem: i cutted two strips of neoprene in a old 4-5 mm thick wetsuit: strips where about 2cm wide and6-7 long. I glued them vertically inside the boot about 5mm apart from where the bone is usually.

When riding the bone angle is pressing between the two strips where there is space, and the neoprene supports the sides of the chin.
Never had the problem again.

Hope this helps
Nils

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

SHINTRONICS

Post by Hans » Tuesday 10 January 2006, 23:24

I also have problems with several boots, especially the Northwaves.

I had some severe problems with my AF700 (sold them this week).

I ordered this one last week. It's a dutch product. It's also of neoprene.

http://www.manoove.com

Greets, Hans.

Guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Guy » Wednesday 18 January 2006, 23:27

Thanks Nils and Hans for your input! I ordered the Shintronics from Manoove in the end. They look like they should work nicely. If not, I can use them as a source of neoprene and cut them up to make some neoprene strips that I can glue into my boots :D

Guy
Swoard Extremecarver 168S 347, F2 Race Titanium bail bindings, Raichle SB 324 boots

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

SHINTRONICS

Post by Hans » Thursday 19 January 2006, 0:24

Guy wrote:Thanks Nils and Hans for your input! I ordered the Shintronics from Manoove in the end. They look like they should work nicely. If not, I can use them as a source of neoprene and cut them up to make some neoprene strips that I can glue into my boots :D
Hi, Guy

I have them now. They are very thick in the beginning. I had some emailexchanges with Sjoerd Vrijburg, he invented this product. After several use, the shintronics become smaller. If they are compressed they are about 2 mm!! If you find them too thick you can put the inserts of the shintronics between a vice using some wooden pieces in between otherwise you can damage the neoprene with the steel of the vise. In this way some airbubbles which are in the neoprene, will get damaged so the neoprene will become thinner.

First I needed some effort to get my boots closed due to the thickness of the shintronics. By using them, I hope they will be getting smaller/thinner after a while. I have confidence that this product will work for me, the feeling is good. I will try them in Zinal for the first time.

Greets, Hans.

Guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Guy » Monday 30 January 2006, 23:39

Hi Hans,

I have the Shintronics now too. I have ridden with them and they work very well for me - no more pressure point on my shins. I also find I can do my boots up without any problem. I have the small size, which is correct for my measurements. They are rather tight to get on and off, but they are comfortable to wear all day long. I'm very happy with them. Thanks for the great tip :D

Guy

Halfface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Halfface » Wednesday 15 February 2006, 16:12

Hi Guy,

Many riders I know - including me - experienced sore shins using the red Deeluxe Indy's with their original liners. For me it came to a point where it was not possible anymore to use my hardboots due to the pain. After some advice from friends I bought the Salomon Custom Fit (Pro) liners and put them into my Indy shells. Immediately the feeling was much better (also the fit) and the pain started dropping. Now, one month later I don't have any problems anymore. Several people now have switched to the Salomon liners and are really satisfied with them.

Erwin

Ps. I also owned the orange Indy's and never had any problems with the original liners that came with them!

ursle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ursle » Friday 21 April 2006, 17:11

I saw this discussion earlier this winter, ordered the mangroove product, it took seven weeks to recieve, then seven weeks later I recieved another pair, I must be a horse.
Anyway, seems to me that if your rear shin is causing too much torque against the front of the boot then the forward angle of the rear boot is to low, lean it forward more, take off the pressure, just be careful for a few turns because you now have much more rear edge, try it, you'll like it